Forward pass ruling

SouthernMan

I'd forgotten that the tuck rule was eliminated. That only makes it worse.

With 6 officials (I believe) on the field, it was ruled a fumble. The retired official who comments for CBS during reviews stated that without question it was a fumble. The commentators for the game and every post game show said it was a fumble. We all saw it was a fumble. Who the hell is this one omnipotent ''over-officious'' jerk that made the call? If it was 'indisputable', why does nobody agree with the call other than the guy who made it? And how is he held accountable by the league?

The NFL instituted replay to overturn incorrect calls to maintain the integrity of the contest, knowing that too much is at stake in every game and the eye in the sky in high def will tell the tale when the zebras on the field make an error.

By what definition could that have been considered a pass, and how could the ruling have been overturned? Those are questions the NFL should answer for the fans. Because the Bills won, the issue will probably be swept under the carpet and quickly forgotten. Wait until this incompetence dictates a play that prevents a team from making the playoffs or knocks one out of the tournament,

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the game, watched the replays several times........Manziel pumped, did not throw, and after the pump, he pushed the ball into Williams helmet, and it was knocked free. It was a fumble. Really bad use of replay IMHO.....and a detriment to the credibility of the NFL replay system.

from now on KYLE should adopt the "manziel rule ," instead of slowing down and just pushing a qb down, he should give qbs a pancake tackle.if he'd of done that to johnboy they would still be using a blotter and sponge to clean the endzone.. johnboy looked like he was knocked out for a cple seconds when he hit the turf.

Ridiculous.

I remember talk prior to this season, maybe near the end of last season, of needing to cut the rule book down and simplify it. Where did that sentiment go? The rules this year seem so muddled and arbitrarily applied that it is getting hard to watch. If I wasn't, if most of us weren't, such serious Bills fans I wouldn't be surprised if most of us wouldn't watch it.

Agreed this is an enormous issue and needs immediate action.

I think it's disgusting that they actually reversed the call on something so obvious. He clearly pulled the ball back and then fumbled. How in the world can ANYONE look at that replay and think anything other than TD. It just does not make any sense to me so the only explanation is blatant cheating/corruption..

from now on KYLE should adopt the "manziel rule ," instead of slowing down and just pushing a qb down, he should give qbs a pancake tackle.if he'd of done that to johnboy they would still be using a blotter and sponge to clean the endzone.. johnboy looked like he was knocked out for a cple seconds when he hit the turf.

I think we would have not only started but also ended the Manziel Era for the Browns if he did this.

I do like how our defense has forced three starting Quaterbacks to be benched so far this year.

I think it's disgusting that they actually reversed the call on something so obvious. He clearly pulled the ball back and then fumbled. How in the world can ANYONE look at that replay and think anything other than TD. It just does not make any sense to me so the only explanation is blatant cheating/corruption..

Yeah that is hard to fathom. Particularly when the the ex-official on CBS emphatically stated that the call on the field was correct. I'd love to hear the official explanation for that overturn, but we never will.

Maybe the answer is to do what hockey does and have reviews for all games done by the NFL at a central location. Take it out of the one guys hands altogether.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Yeah that is hard to fathom. Particularly when the the ex-official on CBS emphatically stated that the call on the field was correct. I'd love to hear the official explanation for that overturn, but we never will.

Maybe the answer is to do what hockey does and have reviews for all games done by the NFL at a central location. Take it out of the one guys hands altogether.

I bet Mike Carey gets a call from the NFL of Russia and is told to tone it down....or else they'll release those pictures of him to the media! Edited by 75Bills

In theory this would be better. But I truly do not trust the bigwigs in the NFL one iota, so I think this would just make it easier for them to control outcomes altogether. My least favorite part of the consistently terrible and bizarre officiating is the absolute lack of accountability. We all know the refs get graded and that determines how many games they get and if they officiate the big games, but what about the horrible crews? Shouldn't they get canned. I feel like every crew is subpar at best, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

I bet Mike Carey gets a call from the NFL of Russia and is told to tone it down....or else they'll release those pictures of him to the media!

Yeah, it's pretty clear the NFL added the former head linesman commentary aspect only to have him agree with the calls and spin even terrible calls in a positive way. Their one mistake so far is letting Carey speak while the call is being reviewed. I wouldn't be shocked if all of a sudden Mike Carey from now on doesn't add his 'expert' opinion until the call on the field has been made, ie. don't make the NFL look bad in any way.

That was a fumble and a touchdown. Period.

On TV they showed Johnny Footballs face on the sideline when they overturned the call. He had his helmet off and set down somewhere. He had a shocked look then had to go get his helmet to go back onto the field. He clearly knew it was a fumble.

The funny (sad) thing is, happening almost simultaneously in the Jax/NYG game, Jax sealed their win by sack/fumbling Eli, and it was a tuck rule scenario! Very very similar plays and the officiating crew in that game apparently got the memo that the tuck rule is no longer in effect in the NFL, and so confirmed the call on the field of a fumble recovered by Jax. :wallbash:

Just pulled that up and watched it. Officials are so ridiculously inconsistent, how is it fair for teams to play against one officiating crew vs another who makes the types of calls in the Bills game?

Just pulled that up and watched it. Officials are so ridiculously inconsistent, how is it fair for teams to play against one officiating crew vs another who makes the types of calls in the Bills game?

It's a joke, but the NFL is so powerful that they really don't have much incentive to overhaul their current system.

Is a pump fake counted as a pass on a stat sheet? The arm is moving forward, right? Obviously it's not a pass. So, if the ball never left Manziel's hand until it was knocked out by a Bill defender, how the hell is that considered a pass? How does the official know if it was only a pump fake or not?

Key point here is: the official doesn't know. There's no way they can discern intent (unless it's Brady, who then tells them what his intent was). That's why the rule's written the way it is: if the QB's arm is moving forward, and he fumbles, it's an incomplete pass. Even if he wasn't going to pass.

But I don't know what the hell the refs were thinking on Manziel's fumble. My first thought when I saw that was "Looks like the officials have found their next Tom Brady to coddle."

:lol:

The NFL.com highlight is in favor of the call on the field "see, you can see the ball going forward!"

Sigh. I wonder if we're just biased as Bills fans... wonder what the Browns forum thinks...

The NFL.com highlight videos have become unwatchable. Or at least you need to mute them. It makes me want to throw up listening to Michael Irving and those other idiots constantly trying to one up each other with stupid jokes and hyperbolic, nonsensical statements. The art of a great commentator/analyst has been lost completely. The idiot on the Bills/Browns highlight doesn't sound like a football guy. Didn't know enough to even realize that the call was totally botched.