it's now clear we should taken beckham and kept our 2015 1st ...

truth on hold

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very hard to look at that still photo and believe Becham reeled that one in!! Then he does it within 5 minutes of them showing highlights of him making one handed grabs in warmups, I love Sammy, but I have to admit having Becham and the first and fourth back in hindsight I would do without hesitation.....

We trade stevie for a 4th string rb, we trade for Mike williams who doesn't play, we trade 3 picks (2 1st) for a rookie wr in the deep wr class ever.

I like Sammy, but when you put it that way ...

... Gotta admit you have a point. And that's the problem with the desperation "need" drafting we've done the last couple years. Everyone but the Bills thought there was no 1st round QB last year. Sure we traded down to get EJ, but still drafted him at least a round too early, passing over more talented players. And then because EJ needed playmakers to cover for his lack of accuracy we panicked and traded up to grab Sammy in what has turned out to be (as you said) the deepest wide receiver class ever. Two rules in life: never try to time the stock market; never draft for need, always draft the best player left on the board.

We trade stevie for a 4th string rb, we trade for Mike williams who doesn't play, we trade 3 picks (2 1st) for a rookie wr in the deep wr class ever.

We gave up 2 picks, not 3. You can't count the pick that was going to be used on a player anyway...we only gave up the additional first next year and the 4th which we recouped getting rid of the 3rd string Stevie Johnson.

thats the simple equation most are missing

a) if you think Beckham > Sammy (as I do), then clearly Beckham + 2015 1st and 4th is better

b) if you think theyre comparable and the difference is splitting hairs, it's the same conclusion

c) if you think sammy > Beckham, it had better be a lot better to make up for a 1st and 4th .... I just dont see how anyone could conclude this now

What are you basing your opinion on that Beckham is better than Sammy? I hope it's not their short pro careers bc that would be ridiculous but I do think it's funny how threads like this pop up after a guy has a few good games.

IMO Sammy is a true number 1 receiver, don't know if same can be said for Beckham

Edited by Max997

next year when cleveland picks 15th (or so)instead of us, whoever is at the top of our board is who we lost.

a few years after that we'll know what we traded. maybe it was a mccargo, or whitner, losman or maybin, mike williams the big texan OT, who knows? maybe we gave up a bust, average guy or a superstar.

you cant judge a draft pick trade until it all plays out. my 14 year old explained this to my dad the other day, maybe i'll give you his number

The Ebron thing scares me. How could he have been the pick if Watkins was gone?

The one thing that is certainly true is that last year's group of WRs in the draft was outstanding. I have never seen a first year group of wide receivers perform so well so early. I remember many thought Moulds was a bust because it took a few years before he began to dominate.

The real question is if we had picked Brady in the 5th round AND Drew Brees instead of Nate Clements, who would we be starting?

I was not a big fan of the Watkins trade, because I didn't think he was enough better than the alternatives to give up a future #1 pick, and the undervaluing of future picks I think hurts franchises in the long term, but I am a *huge* fan of the player.

I know he will never be a David Tyree...oh wait, a great catch doesn't make you the better player...

Evans wasn't available, and I don't think Beckham has reason to be considered better than Watkins, even with future revisionist hindsight. Whatever we eventually gave up with the 2015 #16 or so pick will decide the difference, but Watkins will be a great player.

Really starting to hate our fanbase.

We probably did give up too much, never a good idea to trade picks, but when you draft as poorly as the Bills have in the past decade and a half does it really matter? I mean this is a franchise who has drafted Donte Whitner in the top 10, traded a first round pick to draft JP Losman, drafted McKelvin in the top 15, John McCargo in the 1st round, Aaron Maybin in the top 15, two running backs in the top 12 (one who was ultimately traded but good, and another who be a free agent), the underperforming Eric Wood who isn't a top 5 Center but is paid like one, and last but not least EJ Manuel who was a second day selection at best. So I'm going to worry about a 1st round pick? Even when we have them we usually blow them.

Hey look, lets continue to play this game and make ourselves more miserable. We could have drafted Chris Borland instead of Preston Brown, we could have draft Navarro Bowman instead of Alex Carrington, Gronk instead of Troup, we could have traded up for Big Ben instead of trading up for Losman, we could have drafted....

Bottom line, Sammy is a good player, he'll be a good player barring injury and further development. This team needs good players. Stop comparing him to other receivers, stop worrying about the 1st round pick we gave because it's a sunk cost, no getting it back. Worry about him developing and staying healthy. Not the could have and the should haves.

Seems like that's all we do, worry about our past miscues. It's over with, move on. We have bigger issues than Sammy Watkins.