Your favorite male vocalist

Steve Perry of Journey.(back in the day)

Ah, the man who ruined Journey. I can't stand his voice.

In no particular order and certainly not complete:

Van Morrison

Lowell George

James Dewar

James Brown

Otis Redding

Dean Martin

Chet Baker (I know---but it works for me)

Sam Cooke

Ray Charles

Levon Helm/Richard Manuel (Rick Danko, too)

Steve Winwood (young)

Dave Mason

David Clayton Thomas

Doug Gray (young)

Very close would be:

Curtis Mayfield

Smokey Robinson

Al Green

Sly Stone

Wilson Pickett

Greg Allman

You get the drift.

Since Mercury's already been mentioned...David Lee Roth. Before he got old, bald, and desiccated, at least.

Axle Rose

First, it's "Axl," you idiot.

Second...he's actually got quite a bit of classical voice training. Not many people realize that, since he spent so much of his time with Guns 'n' Roses screeching.

You said vocalist not lyricist, that's a major distinction for me. I know many don't write what they sing. I tend to favor the ones that do their own songwriting.

This is a tough one. Pointing out favorite female vocalists is much easier no matter if they wrote it or not. With the female, the vocasl come into play. All the males that people listed are gr8, but they simply lack the same connection for me as their female counterparts when it comes to vocalization. Females can have an angelic voice. I simply can't equate them the same way to males. I lack empathy for the male voice. Now, the lyrics of a male singing is simply more important to me than the voice. Bob Dylan, Neil Young all get lumped in to great male vocalists for me. Some would cringe mentioning Dylan or Young.

I guess this proves, I simply to not have a gay bone in my body. Go Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson, and you get queer on me.

Conversely, I suspect it is the same for some woman out there too? LoL...

LoL... There I had to say it. I keed to a certain extent about the gay thing, but I laid it out there. Rip on me if you want. I think I need a shrink/sex therapist. :-O ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

You said vocalist not lyricist, that's a major distinction for me.

Well, duh. A lyricist writes lyrics. WRITES. A vocalist sings. SINGS. Some people do both, but these are completely different things.

But I do think there is a more subtle distinction between someone with a great voice and someone who is a great singer. Mel Torme might have a great voice, but I can't stand the way he sings. Donald Fagen doesn't have a great voice, but he's a master of phrasing and I love the way he sings. But I really have no idea how "lyricist" is a factor on how one sings.

Since Mercury's already been mentioned...David Lee Roth. Before he got old, bald, and desiccated, at least.

First, it's "Axl," you idiot.

Second...he's actually got quite a bit of classical voice training. Not many people realize that, since he spent so much of his time with Guns 'n' Roses screeching.

I can claim auto correct and you can't disprove it. :nana:

Well, duh. A lyricist writes lyrics. WRITES. A vocalist sings. SINGS. Some people do both, but these are completely different things.

But I do think there is a more subtle distinction between someone with a great voice and someone who is a great singer. Mel Torme might have a great voice, but I can't stand the way he sings. Donald Fagen doesn't have a great voice, but he's a master of phrasing and I love the way he sings. But I really have no idea how "lyricist" is a factor on how one sings.

Good points!

You said vocalist not lyricist, that's a major distinction for me. I know many don't write what they sing. I tend to favor the ones that do their own songwriting.

This is a tough one. Pointing out favorite female vocalists is much easier no matter if they wrote it or not. With the female, the vocasl come into play. All the males that people listed are gr8, but they simply lack the same connection for me as their female counterparts when it comes to vocalization. Females can have an angelic voice. I simply can't equate them the same way to males. I lack empathy for the male voice. Now, the lyrics of a male singing is simply more important to me than the voice. Bob Dylan, Neil Young all get lumped in to great male vocalists for me. Some would cringe mentioning Dylan or Young.

I guess this proves, I simply to not have a gay bone in my body. Go Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson, and you get queer on me.

Conversely, I suspect it is the same for some woman out there too? LoL...

LoL... There I had to say it. I keed to a certain extent about the gay thing, but I laid it out there. Rip on me if you want. I think I need a shrink/sex therapist. :-O ;-)

You are getting weirder if possible[not.]Now I need "gay bones" to enjoy a male vocalist?

Lots of great voices mentioned in this thread - I'll add a few of my own under the radar favorite male singers ever

Shannon Hoon of Blind Melon, obvs he would get way more love if he didn't OD

Warren Haynes - nuff said

Jeff Buckley - go and listen to his version of hallelujah and tell me it doesn't seriously make your eyes moist, and the same said about Hoon above applies to him here as well (minus the cause of death)