Bills looking at options after snowstorm Slams region

HOUSE

Yeah, I'm down in VA, but my dad, who has lived in WNY for all of his 68 years said this is simply the most snow he's ever seen (obvious to those there). My point was more to reschedule to when it makes sense without shortening the week too much before the next game. But Tuesday Night football would give me a solid reason to have beer on Tuesday.

Wasnt there more snow in the blizzrd of 77? I remember tripping over power lines that are what? 20 to 25 feet above the ground?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wasnt there more snow in the blizzrd of 77? I remember tripping over power lines that are what? 20 to 25 feet above the ground?

According to my dad, there was actually very little snow fall in 77. As he tells it, the lake was frozen over, and covered with snow, and then the blizzard brought 60-70 MPH winds and some snow which blew the snow off the lake. He was stuck at work (HSBC) for 3 days as the drifts were as high as you said. He said it was 60 below with the wind chill. All of this might have built in legend over 37 years, but he said these two storms aren't comparable other than they both suck.

He is currently without power in Derby, and like I said, the vodka is gone, so I'm not sure what he'll do.

Edited by stevestojan

According to my dad, there was actually very little snow fall in 77. As he tells it, the lake was frozen over, and covered with snow, and then the blizzard brought 60-70 MPH winds and some snow which blew the snow off the lake. He was stuck at work (HSBC) for 3 days as the drifts were as high as you said. He said it was 60 below with the wind chill. All of this might have built in legend over 37 years, but he said these two storms aren't comparable other than they both suck.

He is currently without power in Derby, and like I said, the vodka is gone, so I'm not sure what he'll do.

Nope, that's accurate. I remember it at the time - I saw the 60 below wind chill on the TV, and said "Cool! Mom, can I play outside!"

I'm sure to this day she regrets saying "No."

Correct...'77 was known for the wind and cold more than actual snow amounts. There was already plenty on the ground.

Probably NFLN nationally, or CBS in local markets only. CBS won't take their regular Monday night programming off I wouldn't think to televise it nationally but all NFLN has to do is not air NFL Replay or one of their Top 10 shows they show over and over. CBS and NFLN are affiliates. Just guessing on all that though.

That'll suck for me... I use Sunday Ticket online, and it doesn't support NFLN or non-Sunday games. Sigh.

Nope, that's accurate. I remember it at the time - I saw the 60 below wind chill on the TV, and said "Cool! Mom, can I play outside!"

I'm sure to this day she regrets saying "No."

You were a kid in '77? Why did I assume you were at least 40 then?

:D

Crazy...C-R-A-Z-Y to think that the official snow totals for Jan 28 - Feb 1 1977 were...12 inches.

:P

For those of you who didn't live through it, trust us...there was just so much dang snow, wind and cold!

There was close to 2 feet of snow on the ground from prior storms. Just got a foot from the Blizzard plus the 70 MPH winds. Was really crazy...

1977... The problem was also stranded cars. Cars absolutely sucked back then being predominately rear-wheel beasts. I think some fail to realize what better machines we have now. My father got stuck and had to stay @ Forks Fire Hall in Cheektowaga/Sloan not because he had got stuck, but because the lady in front of him got stuck near a viaduct. If she would have stayed moving he would have been stayed rolling. The stall too. Carburated engines were also problematic. Once that car gets stuck out in the wild, it becomes a problem, same w/the stranded motorist. Those vehicles are better served stuck and buried in their own driveway were they do not become a problem... Same with personin their own home. Now mix in a whole bunch of other logistical fatcors, computers, direct deposit, etc... Storms today could never be truly on the same level they were back in the day. We can handle so much more now!

I will contend if we had the inferior engines of yesterday today, the storm now would seem a whole lot worse. So much has changed for the better and it leads to handling these calamities better. This storm is so much more localized too.

Crazy...C-R-A-Z-Y to think that the official snow totals for Jan 28 - Feb 1 1977 were...12 inches.

:P

For those of you who didn't live through it, trust us...there was just so much dang snow, wind and cold!

But the official snow fall for the preceding December was 10 feet. And the wind took it all off the lake and dumped it downtown.

But the official snow fall for the preceding December was 10 feet. And the wind took it all off the lake and dumped it downtown.

Right. And there was a thaw right before it... I think. The Lake Efect Machine was turned off. People lulled into a false sense of security. People and their machines are so much better prepared now. How many people have generators now compared to 1977. Even know my brother needs snowshoes to retrieve it from the shed, it is still there. There are just so many more machines and better machines thrown into the logistical equation now.

Not a option. Sherriffs Dept stressed out just like Fire and EMS. We got flooding coming up next.

and then a refreeze and more snow next week. This is a very serious situation.

Rochester NY has had its share of major events in my life time here. Another lake affected city/area.

Years ago and for many a year i was driving plow trucks and boy we had some dandies. Being in the truck for days , not hours.

But when i first move up north from Miss. via Binghampton to Rochester back in the early 70s. We had snow up to the second story windows. Being a kid i thought it was the coolest thing ever.

now ? not as much.

Edited by 3rdand12