The contrarian view - should Marrone remain the coach of this team

BuffaloBill

Let's assume the Bills miss the playoffs again this year which is a highly likely scenario. Further, for the sake of argument let's say they finish at 8-8. If you were Terry Pegula what would your reasons be for keeping Marrone?

BTW I get it that there are probably a billion reasons to fire him. Personally, I think Marrone is dead coach walking but curious to hear reasons why he might still be here next year.

As for me, the only reason I can think as to why he is here next year is that Pegs isn't yet ready to pull the trigger on changes. It has been stated that T Pegs wants an expert evaluation of the football operations so maybe there isn't enough time to complete this before a new coach gets inserted.

Any other reasons why Marrone is walking the Bills sideline next year?

Other than the one you mentioned, the only other reason I could see Marrone on the sideline next year is if the Bills finish with a winning record. I don't have the stats, but I bet it's EXTREMELY rare for a coach to get canned after a winning season.

Oh wait, you said its assumed the Bills finish 8-8. Never mind. I think Marrone is history.

maybe depending on the HC coaching pool new ownership has to draw on. I cannot think of another reason. The offense is in shambles, so Brandons "continuity" arguement holds zero merit. Depending if Pegula actually gets a highly regarded smart pro too look the franchise over. he may conclude that a change until a QB is dound might not be best.

marrone certainly has nothing to show after two years that he or his staff have the "innovation" that was promised coming in. So if Pegula is a results oriented person(s) certainly Marrone is gone. 8-8. Or 9-7 it make no difference there have been some real clunkers and lucky wins with the pure ineptness shown in the past 2 games. The final record unless they run the table would have little bearing IMO on what happens going forward.

Edited by Best Player Available

There's plenty of reasons for both arguments, more-so for him to be shown the door though.

I am going to respond like I did in the other thread that loosely covers this topic:

Marrone should be here for three reasons:

1. Whether people on this board detest Manuel or not, it is irrelevant. He's Doug's guy and we need to see maybe some stars have aligned and we have the player the staff and fans hoped for when he was drafted.

2. I think if indeed Marrone was given marching orders come the end of this season, whomever stepping in would be getting a hard deal. Orton/Manuel/Tuel doesn't scream long-term answers - yet.

3. I would not for a second like to see this defense go through another coaching staff change. There is absolutely no way, even though Schwartz has pulled this defense up a notch, that he should take over the reigns (which would be the only way that doesn't happen).

I just want to see that maybe, this coaching staff can get things right. Especially with the hole we are in for next year's draft if there is big time struggles down the last 6 game stretch.

Either that or there's wins...

One more year can't hurt.

Edited by Smooth

maybe depending on the HC coaching pool new ownership has to draw on.

That was my first thought. Another possibility is bringing in a stud OC being sufficient change while they continue to evaluate. (No idea who that would be, but I do know that's the absolute minimum change that has to be made.)

Kinda funny to think that Marty S was fired by the Chargers after a 12-4 season, and blackballed after that. Or Eric Mangini was fired by the Jets after a 9-7 season, and yet because the owner happens to like Big Mouth Rex (with his Mark Sanchez tattoo) that Ryan is still employed by the team at 2-8.

Nobody really knows what the Pegula's will do at this point. I think they won't make any changes this season simply out of respect to Russ Brandon who is preaching continuity in keeping Marrone. Then the Bills defense is a top ten unit while the offense is one of the very worst in the NFL despite the journeyman at QB. keeping Marrone next year, and changing the OC would be akin to Gailey swapping out George Edwards and allowing Dave Wannstedt to take over as his DC. Mostly because I just don't think this offensive minded coach has a clue how to build a proper NFL offense.

I think there should be ample time after the season, and before the combine to hire a senior NFL adviser, and then for the team to hire a new president of football operations, and then let that man do his job. This team has lacked a real football brain at the top of the food chain for 14 years,(John Butler) and Donahoe doesn't count as he was fired in his job as GM before becoming team president. Kinda like Gailey getting hired as HC after he was fired in his last job as an OC.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24749471/accorsi-holmgren-wolf-candidates-to-help-bills-ownership-transition

I do not want the defense to be playing the fifth different scheme in the last five years. Unless Schwartz was made head coach after firing Marone, that's what we would be facing.

I'd rather see Hackett fired and replaced with somebody who knows WTF he is doing. Let Whaley look over Marone's shoulder as they make the choice.

I also think cleaning house just puts the Bills back on the same treadmill they've been on for the last fifteen years. Changing coaches every three years is a prescription for treading water, Granted, the results we are seeing this year look like treading water already, and I have issues with Marone as a coach, but blowing it all up does not seem to me to be the wise thing to do--yet.

Fans always want to blow it up and start over, with the idea that the new faces will sprinkle magic pixie dust over the team and--presto, the Bills sweep the Patriots. Nope.

From what I heard early in the season after the Bills started out 2-1 that it would have to take Marrone falling flat on his face with less then 5 wins or completely losing the team late in the year.

You could argue he has lost the team but there is still a lot of season to play. The worst part for him is that the part to come is also the most difficult.

Continuity may be the largest factor. There are no impressive coaches out there and no coaches out there that would offer more then Marrone. There are only coordinators, and not many of them are that appealing.

Bringing in a new coach would shake up a defense that is better then ever, stopping the run, stopping the pass and playing good D. The offense isn't awful it is just not working. We need a new system on offense - maybe Marrone and Hackett can come up with one or maybe Marrone can find someone else to find one. If Marrone is not here I do not know who can offer more and I do not want just another hot prospect or bring up some guy from XYZ. Arians is the only coach succeeding this year and that was largely in part due to a stabble QB with Palmer and having the ideal match up for both of them.

Whaley has said many times, along with the rest of FO, that a coaching candidate that they were going to choose would be one they would want to keep a long time. I think it takes a little more then this to make them give up on their hope.

I do not want the defense to be playing the fifth different scheme in the last five years. Unless Schwartz was made head coach after firing Marone, that's what we would be facing.

I'd rather see Hackett fired and replaced with somebody who knows WTF he is doing. Let Whaley look over Marone's shoulder as they make the choice.

This is what scares the crap out of me.

If Marrone is fired who else are we going to go with to not blow it up again? Schwartz by default. I don't know if that is all that good. I don't know what we do if we do not do that. I don't want to bring Gailey back but I would not mind it if we could get our hands on his playbook and borrow a few wrinkles. Right now everyone is down on Reich, the entire league was high on him early in the season and now everyone is wondering what is going on. He may be canned after the season but from what has been said it is doubtful. The SD FO is supposed to be very happy with Reich. I doubt they shake anything up there and imagine Reich will some day be the Chargers HC.

But, yeah, it terrifies me that we are going to do nothing because our hands are tied with only a few options.

Players make the coach (es). When Orton/Manuel were playing well, there were few complaints about the coach. If they get a real, bona fide, QB, the coaching is better, the Oline is better, the defense is better and this team is in playoffs.

Marrone is as good as anything out there. Get me QB!!

IMHO Fans should not be afraid of change. Look what happened with the losing of DC Mike Pettine, and the hiring of Jim Schwartz, as the defense is a now full on top ten unit. We all knew the talent was there before Pettine / Schwartz, and just not being utilized effectively.

The offense is bad for obvious reasons, and even both TV commentators ex NFL QB Phill Simms & Ex NFL DB Deion Sanders acknowledged it wasn't the QB, it was bad coaching. We recently see every week that this coaching staff can't make the half time adjustments to get the offense to work. Its probably going to get worse as the season goes on, and team become more familiar with the plays the Bills run.

This year with the addition of Kyle Orton, and Sammy Watkins we know the offense shouldn't be near last in the NFL. The offense has enough talent to be a playoff team save for the coaching, and a few positions.

I know I for one will embrace the change. Perhaps it might even be Bill Cowher, Jim Harbaugh, or even Frank Reich. I can see the Bills actually in the playoffs, and competing with the Patriots for the division with better coaching

This is what scares the crap out of me.

If Marrone is fired who else are we going to go with to not blow it up again? Schwartz by default. I don't know if that is all that good. I don't know what we do if we do not do that. I don't want to bring Gailey back but I would not mind it if we could get our hands on his playbook and borrow a few wrinkles. Right now everyone is down on Reich, the entire league was high on him early in the season and now everyone is wondering what is going on. He may be canned after the season but from what has been said it is doubtful. The SD FO is supposed to be very happy with Reich. I doubt they shake anything up there and imagine Reich will some day be the Chargers HC.

But, yeah, it terrifies me that we are going to do nothing because our hands are tied with only a few options.

Reich is not the problem. Phillip Rivers is said to have a severe rib injury, and has had it for awhile now. The team has gone thru so many centers that they even picked up Doug Legursky as their 3rd guy, and now he is out with an injury. Their O line is so banged up they are getting a grade at 31st in the league.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/nov/16/chargers-philip-rivers-rib-injury-antonio-gates/

Its also that their starting RB's have all been out or injured. Danny Woodhead on IR. Their starting RB Ryan Matthews has been out with an injury all year until this week. They have been using cast off Donald Brown, and undrafted rookie RB Brandon Oliver up until Matthews was cleared this week.

I think that after meeting with Brandon, Whaley and Marrone, Pegula is going to refrain from major changes going into next season as long as the Bills win at least 7 games. I'm sure that the current administration will make some minor revisions but that's it. I see Pegula waiting to see what his independent analysis reports and what his own experiences are during his first full year of ownership including an off season. If the Bills don't make the playoffs next season, he will clean house and replace all three.

That is my opinion.

Well, look at this way (and I want Marrone fired):

The QBs Marrone has been given to work with: EJ Manuel, Kyle Orton, Jeff Tuel, Thad Lewis, Kevin Kolb. OUCH.

He has been given 1/2 of 1 guard in two years.

Last year he had almost zero WRs to work with.

He has been given zero tight ends in a league that features them.

So, I would say, while Marrone hasn't done himself any favors and probably deserves the axe, I could see the argument for keeping him around one more year given how little he's had to work with on the offensive side of the ball.

I think that after meeting with Brandon, Whaley and Marrone, Pegula is going to refrain from major changes going into next season as long as the Bills win at least 7 games. I'm sure that the current administration will make some minor revisions but that's it. I see Pegula waiting to see what his independent analysis reports and what his own experiences are during his first full year of ownership including an off season. If the Bills don't make the playoffs next season, he will clean house and replace all three.

That is my opinion.

I think this is the most likely scenario and probably the correct one, unless they manage to lose all their remaining games. I do think though that if Marrone does not replace Hacket, his fate after that is sealed.

I think this is the most likely scenario and probably the correct one, unless they manage to lose all their remaining games. I do think though that if Marrone does not replace Hacket, his fate after that is sealed.

But see that's why I think he's doomed. They'll insist that he fire his OC, and Marrone, being the stubborn fool that he is, will refuse (remember, this is a guy who - reportedly - dared his bosses to fire him - in public - because they told him to put Urbik in). Marrone will get himself fired by refusing to get rid of Hacket, so this'll all take care of itself.

Changes have to be made. My guess is Marrone's continued employment is contingent upon making changes quickly this off season. Who is he legitimately going to blame for this mess? Himself? Fine, goodbye! Or most likely, find fault with the OC and fire him. That'll at least show Marrone is trying to make changes and right the ship and it'll save his job; THIS season. Next season...I think he's gone unless we win the division.

Bottom line, to save his job, he's gotta make changes that are more than swapping equipment managers.

The other reason Marrone may keep his job this year is a possible lack of available and viable HC options.

If they keep him it's because he blows and they intentionally want to tank the next season to get back a good first round draft pick. That's the only reason you keep him, because you plan on his incompetence :nana:

so business as usual then ?