November Movies: Mockingjay I, Interstellar, Big Hero 6, & Foxcatc

Mark Vader

I finally saw Interstellar this weekend, can't believe it took me this long. I've fought battles about Nolan's directing style with many a folk, I've always come down on the side that believes Nolan's films are breathtakingly beautiful -- but more often than not incredibly dull. I loved Begins and Memento but didn't swoon over the Dark Knight or Rises like some. Not that I didn't like those films, I did, I just liked Begins way more. That said, to me Interstellar is Nolan's best film to date.

Without giving any spoilers, I'll say this about McConaughey -- what he does at the end of the movie might be the coolest and most badass thing he's ever done on film; and he's done a lot of cool **** on film before. I cannot recommend this movie enough, don't see it on a small screen. This is one to see in theaters.

I finally saw Interstellar this weekend, can't believe it took me this long. I've fought battles about Nolan's directing style with many a folk, I've always come down on the side that believes Nolan's films are breathtakingly beautiful -- but more often than not incredibly dull. I loved Begins and Memento but didn't swoon over the Dark Knight or Rises like some. Not that I didn't like those films, I did, I just liked Begins way more. That said, to me Interstellar is Nolan's best film to date.

Without giving any spoilers, I'll say this about McConaughey -- what he does at the end of the movie might be the coolest and most badass thing he's ever done on film; and he's done a lot of cool **** on film before. I cannot recommend this movie enough, don't see it on a small screen. This is one to see in theaters.

For me Memento was his best movie. Low budget mind !@#$.

I went to see Interstellar this weekend. It didn't feel nearly as long as its actual running time, so that's always a good thing. I can't help but wonder how confused my wife was throughout the whole thing when most of the science is way over my head. Anyway, I wasn't too crazy about the ending. Everything after the black hole just didn't feel right to me. Still, I enjoyed it.

I noticed the complaints earlier about the sound. I don't know if I was in a weaker theater or what, but I never noticed any issues. One sound thing did drive me crazy though. The entire movie I was trying to place the voice of the robot. He sounded so familiar to me but I couldn't figure it out. Then when I got home and looked it up, it was some guy I have never heard of. That was a bit of a letdown.

Same here.

I also thought they never would have even considered going to the first planet, either search or rescue, considering it had twice the gravitational force as Earth and one hour there was equal to 7 Earth years. I mean, it looked like the Earth was going to die within a decade, but 23 years later it's still going? And if McConaughey was sending messages to the daughter's room, who put the wormhole there?

Same here.

"I mean, it looked like the Earth was going to die within a decade, but 23 years later it's still going?"

Well, you know how it goes with the media -- making us think the world was ending tomorrow when they had some time :)

"And if McConaughey was sending messages to the daughter's room, who put the wormhole there?"

My take was "we" built the wormhole in the future. McConaughey says something like "they didn't know when, and needed me to find it." And later as it was closing, he says something like, "we built it when we evolve to become fifth dimensional beings". It was a really interesting choice for me because there's a temptation to leave it vague as a storyteller, but Nolan let McConaughey tie it all up...

Of course his character is speculating so it might not be true, but that was what I took away from it.

I went to Horrible Bosses 2 this weekend. It wasn't as good as the first one, but I liked it. They were smart enough to not do something like the Hangover 2 and completely recycle the same exact plot. Any movie is going to be that much better when they get the big time actors in supporting roles like both of these movies had. I can't think of many other movies with that many award winning actors in the background.

Saw Mockingjay this weekend. While it was essentially a teaser for the finale, still a completely watchable flick. I guess they filmed all of them before Seymour-Hoffman decided to off himself?

saw it last week also. thought it was very good but not as good as the previous 2. not a lot of action. ideally they would haver not divided the 3rd book into 2 parts.

i saw snowpiercer between this and the 2nd hunger games. interestingly, the themes are very similar yet the methods very different. i personally like the hunger games much better but admired snowpiercer as well.

Looking forward to Mockingjay and the Hobbit when it comes out

Saw the trailer for this last night and I have to say, I'm burned out on these films. I really enjoyed the LOTR trilogy and even the first Hobbit...but now they just run together and I find myself completely disinterested in who is fighting with or against who and for what purpose.

I know I'm late with this again, but here are the Independent movies for November.

Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones star in, "The Theory of Everything". A look at the relationship between the famous physicist Stephen Hawking and his wife

Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightley star in, "The Imitation Game". English mathematician and logician, Alan Turing, helps crack the Enigma code during World War II.

Tommy Lee Jones directs and co-stars with Hilary Swank in, "The Homesman". Three women who have been driven mad by pioneer life are to be transported across the country by covered wagon by the pious, independent-minded Mary Bee Cuddy, who in turn employs low-life drifter George Briggs to assist her. Also starring Miranda Otto, Grace Gummer, Tim Blake Nelson, James Spader & John Lithgow.

"The Better Angels", is the story of Abraham Lincoln's childhood in the harsh wilderness of Indiana and the hardships that shaped him, the tragedy that marked him for ever and the two women who guided him to immortality. Starring Jason Clarke, Diane Kruger, Brit Marling & Wes Bentley.

In "Bad Turn Worse", Three Texas teens hope to make a break for it and escape their dead-end existence in a cotton-mill town but get sucked into the seedy underbelly of organized crime when one of them steals from the wrong man. Starring MacKenzie Davis, Logan Huffman, Jeremy Allen White and William Devane.

In "The Babadook", A single mother, plagued by the violent death of her husband, battles with her son's fear of a monster lurking in the house, but soon discovers a sinister presence all around her. Starring Essie Davis, Noah Wiseman, Daniel Henshall & Hayley McElhinney.

"Happy Valley" is a documentary that observes the year after Pennsylvania State University assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky's arrest on child sex abuse charges.

"Remote Area Medical" is a documentary on the annual three-day "pop-up" medical clinic organized by the non-profit Remote Area Medical (RAM) in Bristol, Tennessee's NASCAR speedway.

Calendar with Trailers. Note: These dates are for exclusive or limited release. These films may appear in your area at a later date.

11/7

"The Theory of Everything": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3801067289?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

"The Better Angels": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi372485913?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

11/14

"The Homesman": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1203089177?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

"Bad Turn Worse": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1357033241?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

11/21

"Happy Valley": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi54505241?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

11/28

"The Imitation Game": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi969255961?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_3

"Remote Area Medical": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2736172825?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

"The Babadook": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1349234457

That's all for now. I wil have the December Movies up very soon. Until then.....Enjoy!

That's all for now. I wil have the December Movies up very soon. Until then.....Enjoy!

Wife wants to go to the movies tonight, but I told her we can't because you haven't posted the December movies yet. So hurry the !@#$ up already, you lazy bastard!

Saw the trailer for this last night and I have to say, I'm burned out on these films. I really enjoyed the LOTR trilogy and even the first Hobbit...but now they just run together and I find myself completely disinterested in who is fighting with or against who and for what purpose.

Yeah they do. I had to have my girlfriend explain the whole story again the other day haha

• 3 weeks later...

I just found out, the john dupont house is a couple miles from where i live, drive by where it used to be all the time. It's also about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile from M. Night Shamalyan's house which is a huuuuuuuge sprawling complex

It's in some markets now, more widespread n January, but here's an interview with one of the coaches about John du Pont in Foxcatcher....

http://highschoolspo...ted-awed-videos

Saw The Imitation Game today. Note that:

Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightley star in, "The Imitation Game". English mathematician and logician, Alan Turing, helps crack the Enigma code during World War II.

Is inaccurate. This movie was less focused on Enigma/Ultra than it was on Turing's homosexuality - which is not a bad thing, it's just not even a remotely historically accurate movie outside that context.

Having said that...it was pretty good. Not great - it glossed over too much (such as his relationships with certain Soviet double-agents in Bletchly, which were of no small significance in how he was treated...or the actual role he played within the war, which was horribly abstracted in the film.) As it was, the compromises made to cram Turing's rather complex story into less than two hours were unnecessary and detracted from the story. It could have easily run a half-hour longer, with more consideration and discretion given to the complexities of Turing's life, and been a better film.

Cumberbatch gives an excellent performance. I'd lay large odds he gets an Oscar nomination. Knightley...not her best performance (not even close to Pride and Prejudice, I thought) and I'm surprised she's nominated for a SAG award for it. And Tywin Lannister gives a nice performance as...a Royal Navy Tywin Lannister, I guess. Really, it's a movie worth seeing for the performances, but falls sadly short of what it could have been.