My goat of the game

chef4131

Certainly we can blame Bryce/Leodis/Marrone for the loss, but my vote goes to Manny Lawson. He lost containment on 2 plays both leading to TDs. If he plays his position correctly on the Charles TD run, he may have stopped him for a loss and the Bills get the ball back-worst case here they get the first but not a long TD run. Also same mistake on the Alex Smith TD Run. Hopefully coaches show him and he learns

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly we can blame Bryce/Leodis/Marrone for the loss, but my vote goes to Manny Lawson. He lost containment on 2 plays both leading to TDs. If he plays his position correctly on the Charles TD run, he may have stopped him for a loss and the Bills get the ball back-worst case here they get the first but not a long TD run. Also same mistake on the Alex Smith TD Run. Hopefully coaches show him and he learns

I thought the same right after the game but you have to ask yourself why he was out there in the first place given the situation in both instances? I'm sure the answer will be it was his turn in the precious rotation. That said, I have to question the rationale for not having your best 11 out on defense in critical situations. Why was Hughes on the bench? Was he hurt?

In this game the Bills beat themselves in the usual fashion. Untimely penalties, dropped passes, a couple of not unexpected gaffes by way of two fumbles. As soon as Brown got striped at the 2 and that ball went out of the back of the endzone I knew they were going to lose. And of course Chandler counldn't get control because that would have ruined the Bills blundering script.

I thought the same right after the game but you have to ask yourself why he was out there in the first place given the situation in both instances? I'm sure the answer will be it was his turn in the precious rotation. That said, I have to question the rationale for not having your best 11 out on defense in critical situations. Why was Hughes on the bench? Was he hurt?

In this game the Bills beat themselves in the usual fashion. Untimely penalties, dropped passes, a couple of not unexpected gaffes by way of two fumbles. As soon as Brown got striped at the 2 and that ball went out of the back of the endzone I knew they were going to lose. And of course Chandler counldn't get control because that would have ruined the Bills blundering script.

For me the rotation ends on any down that has the chance to be a game changer and my best 11 are in theyre even if I have to burn a timeout...No question about it!!!!

Listen to what Preston Brown had to say:

Preston Brown: "That's a play we want to get back" (1:32)

Bills linebacker Preston Brown on the loss to the Chiefs, the Jamaal Charles touchdown run, and moving forward to the Dolphins game.

Orton for not getting anything done in the red zone on so many attempts. Our red zone offense was terrible. Orton under threw Sammy twice, missed Hogan over the middle. Woods over the middle. Hogan over top in the back left corner. Chandler. The list could go on and on. And That's not saying anything about his passes that went nowhere in the dirt, not even close to his receivers.

Orton for not getting anything done in the red zone on so many attempts. Our red zone offense was terrible. Orton under threw Sammy twice, missed Hogan over the middle. Woods over the middle. Hogan over top in the back left corner. Chandler. The list could go on and on. And That's not saying anything about his passes that went nowhere in the dirt, not even close to his receivers.

+1

They can't blame EJ for the red zone inadequacies now.

We should be saying something about his multiple passes that went nowhere but 2 feet in front of him!

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

+1

They can't blame EJ for the red zone inadequacies now.

We should be saying something about his multiple passes that went nowhere but 2 feet in front of him!

yup. Those 6 ft throws into the ground were truly head scratchers. He seemed like he was scared to get hit at times. And if your going to throw it away like that, throw it as far as you can downfield and hope that one of your playmakers can make a play on the ball.

Fully agree.

yup. Those 6 ft throws into the ground were truly head scratchers. He seemed like he was scared to get hit at times. And if your going to throw it away like that, throw it as far as you can downfield and hope that one of your playmakers can make a play on the ball.

Disagree. The plays weren't there and needed to be killed. Good QBs do that to avoid sacks and/or turnovers by trying to force things.

My goat is Hackett. I defended him on here last season. This year, even in the beginning I defended him. No more. He needs to go. Even with all the other crap play (Lawson, who as you correctly point out was awful on two huge plays), B. Brown's fumble (although that was a good play by the D, I put that more on Chandler for not recovering it), and "butterfingers" McKelvin's fumble, we still win if Hackett could manage to call plays in the redzone.

Two trips into the RedZone, and 7 consecutive passes. The last drive was particularly egregious. Why not run Dixon at least once if it's 4 down territory? Also, having Orton throw out of an empty backfield should NEVER happen. Why signal to a top defensive team that you are going to pass, particularly when the field is shorter in the redzone?!?! Only a very few QB's can operate this way (manning, ben, rodgers, brady.)

Terrible job by Hackett. Orton may not be the answer, but "can't" Hackett did not put him in a position to win.

My goat is Hackett. I defended him on here last season. This year, even in the beginning I defended him. No more. He needs to go. Even with all the other crap play (Lawson, who as you correctly point out was awful on two huge plays), B. Brown's fumble (although that was a good play by the D, I put that more on Chandler for not recovering it), and "butterfingers" McKelvin's fumble, we still win if Hackett could manage to call plays in the redzone.

Two trips into the RedZone, and 7 consecutive passes. The last drive was particularly egregious. Why not run Dixon at least once if it's 4 down territory? Also, having Orton throw out of an empty backfield should NEVER happen. Why signal to a top defensive team that you are going to pass, particularly when the field is shorter in the redzone?!?! Only a very few QB's can operate this way (manning, ben, rodgers, brady.)

Terrible job by Hackett. Orton may not be the answer, but "can't" Hackett did not put him in a position to win.

hackett made the right calls. We had plenty of chances and Orton didn't execute. The last few drives alone he had at least 5 serious opportunities to score and missed his receivers.

wow that bugs me people say this about a qb throwing it away... those were sniffed out screens or covered players so he threw it at their feet on purpose to avoid a sack strip fumble...its smart football and why he didnt take sacks like he had been doing...Im sure he can throw farther than 6 feet. if he throws it high and away its intentional groundng ...or a pick! he did suck in the red zone though.

hackett made the right calls. We had plenty of chances and Orton didn't execute. The last few drives alone he had at least 5 serious opportunities to score and missed his receivers.

not running at all? I have to respectfully disagree. Those were bad calls. And the empty backfield is inexcusable against a great D. Throwing when the field is short into the endzone 4 times is puzzling. Why not throw a crossing pattern and pick up yardage.

And the first redzone trip, you could have run the ball 3 times and picked up a 1st and goal on the 1. Instead, pass, pass, pass. It's a short field and your playing a great D, you need to mix up the playcalling and disguise your plays, not "hey, we are passing the ball."

Edited by RyanC883

True. But I will say that the DL rotation is, overall, working great. We saw the value of having fresh linemen out there all day. This is exactly what Seattle did last year and what they haven't been able to do this year after losing some guys to free agency. Alex Smith really didn't pull it down and run it all day, and it seems that he just caught Lawson (and the whole D) sleeping on that keeper for the winning TD. That's the value of a mobile QB. Someone please morph EJ's mobility with Orton's passing ability ...

wow that bugs me people say this about a qb throwing it away... those were sniffed out screens or covered players so he threw it at their feet on purpose to avoid a sack strip fumble...its smart football and why he didnt take sacks like he had been doing...Im sure he can throw farther than 6 feet. if he throws it high and away its intentional groundng ...or a pick! he did suck in the red zone though.

I have no problem with Orton throwing the balls into the ground. Was smart playing on his part. A big difference in the offense is he can generally avoid sacks and get rid of the ball into a safe area.

Sorry, can't agree. Making the right calls would've been shooting for a first down when you get the ball at the 15 and then working for your end zone plays. The Chiefs were going to do their best to not give up the TD there, so why not a draw play, a screen? Something to get them moving. Instead, it appeared the Chiefs knew the Bills were going straight for the end zone and weren't playing for anything else. Hackett failed with his playcalling in the red zone. Orton didn't help with his throws, but Hackett deserves the blame for the red zone.

Sorry, can't agree. Making the right calls would've been shooting for a first down when you get the ball at the 15 and then working for your end zone plays. The Chiefs were going to do their best to not give up the TD there, so why not a draw play, a screen? Something to get them moving. Instead, it appeared the Chiefs knew the Bills were going straight for the end zone and weren't playing for anything else. Hackett failed with his playcalling in the red zone. Orton didn't help with his throws, but Hackett deserves the blame for the red zone.

There were routes being run underneath. Maybe Kyle's decisions.

The passes orton threw into the dirt we're throw away because the screen was covered or his recover was covered and he was avoiding a sack. Those were actually good plays by him believe it or not.

The ones in the redone were just way off inaccurate throws. One at least was a mis-read but the other looks like the ball just sailed out of his hand :-(

nothing else to do when a set play, that includes linemen heading downfield, must be aborted - unless the QB is mobile enough to tuck it in and make a play with his legs