30 For 30

It kind of surprises me ESPN hasn't yet done a 30 For 30 film on the Bills 4 Super Bowls in a row. Yeah they didn't win any but no other team has ever come close. When you look at some of the topics they have done shows on it's not like it's only the top stories in sports, they've done shows on surfers, BMX drivers, etc, some people I've never even heard of. I'd think the Bills would be a better story than some of these others??

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It kind of surprises me ESPN hasn't yet done a 30 For 30 film on the Bills 4 Super Bowls in a row. Yeah they didn't win any but no other team has ever come close. When you look at some of the topics they have done shows on it's not like it's only the top stories in sports, they've done shows on surfers, BMX drivers, etc, some people I've never even heard of. I'd think the Bills would be a better story than some of these others??

If I'm not mistaken, these are done by filmmakers who bring the finished work to ESPN for its blessing. They aren't the works of ESPN itself. I know of one documentary in production about a hot-air balloonist/skydiver/adventurer that the filmmakers are hoping becomes a 30 for 30.

That's true, thinking some more about the ones I've watch I believe you are correct.

I guess I better get busy!

And yes I agree, most are very good. I just watched When the Garden was Eden. That and Requiem of the Big East were two of my favorites.

If I'm not mistaken, these are done by filmmakers who bring the finished work to ESPN for its blessing. They aren't the works of ESPN itself. I know of one documentary in production about a hot-air balloonist/skydiver/adventurer that the filmmakers are hoping becomes a 30 for 30.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

That's true, thinking some more about the ones I've watch I believe you are correct.

I guess I better get busy!

And yes I agree, most are very good. I just watched When the Garden was Eden. That and Requiem of the Big East were two of my favorites.

i heard Michael Rappaport interviewed on ESPN NY about When the Garden was Eden. Hes a huge Knick fan and said that he had the idea to produce it and pitched it to ESPN. I've been really impressed with all of the 30 for 30s.

What's the hidden story to tell? A lot of those are so successful because it's less about the accomplishment and more about the people. You'd almost have to frame it in the "these guys partied to hard to win it all" and that's no fun

Yeah, the 30 for 30 could be on Jim Kelly. They are not about a team's performance they are about the people.

My favorites are 2 Escobars, Pony Express, the one on Benjy and the one about Chris Herron.

Didn't they do one on the Miami Hurricanes?

They did; they did one on the QB class of '83 as well.

I was thinking about Kelly going from arrogant, talented college kid to USFL to franchise savior to Super Bowl heartache to Hunter's battle to cancer to a hopefully positive outcome. There is enough Jim Kelly to sustain an hour and a half. It would be phenomenal.

They did; they did one on the QB class of '83 as well.

I was thinking about Kelly going from arrogant, talented college kid to USFL to franchise savior to Super Bowl heartache to Hunter's battle to cancer to a hopefully positive outcome. There is enough Jim Kelly to sustain an hour and a half. It would be phenomenal.

It's the realistic one and very well may happen

I've really loved the series. Two Escobars was great. I must mention, however, that "Once Brothers" was the most one-sided, propaganda-laden, revisionist-history piece of garbage I'd seen in awhile. Basic documentary failure is rampant in that one. Drazen Petrovic would have been pissed.

Edited by NickelCity

I've really loved the series. Two Escobars was great. I must mention, however, that "Once Brothers" was the most one-sided, propaganda-laden, revisionist-history piece of garbage I'd seen in awhile. Basic documentary failure is rampant in that one. Drazen Petrovic would have been pissed.

the Maurice clarett 30 for 30 was pretty one sided as well, in his favor. But apparently then-AD at OSU declined to be involved so I guess it's his own fault.

What's the hidden story to tell? A lot of those are so successful because it's less about the accomplishment and more about the people. You'd almost have to frame it in the "these guys partied to hard to win it all" and that's no fun

The Bills of that era, and many fans, have invested a lot of time and effort in the narrative that getting there was the more difficult part and greater accomplishment. Reality was that they were so talented and had the rest of the outclassed AFC so psyched out that getting there was not really all that hard for them. It wasn't like they were banging out 15-1 or 14-2 seasons year after year in the NFC East to secure homefield so they wouldn't have to go on the road to SF or Dallas etc...they had plenty of no show games during the season and the road thru Denver or Miami of that era was no big deal when the chips were down. The story ultimately is how they blew it at the end year after year....essentially the same way over and over. People like human interest stories about those who learn from their mistakes, improve and overcome. These guys were a stubborn group, from Ralph to Polian and of course to those players....and they paid for it 4 times on SB Sunday. They just kept doing it their way even when it looked like that wasn't enough. For all of that failure when it mattered most they basically all made it to the personal pinnacle of the game...the HOF....anyway. The fans are the ones who never got to the top of the mountain. The angles to make it a great human interest piece do not seem to be there IMO.