I don't want the Jets getting their hands on Winston or Mariota..

zow2

I am not terribly worried about Mariota, i think he is far less of a surefire prospect than some would have you assuming. Winston on the other hand (all character issues aside) is the best QB talent and developmentally wise since Luck. If he keeps his head on straight he's going to be a stud from day one. I absolutely can't stand him though.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, because Jimbo Fischer really prepares QBS for the NFL in that offense a lot more than having a NFL QB for a dad and growing up with it your entire life and having an NFL QB for a college coach in a pro style offense. That's a wash.

Well Kelly, there are a lot of HOF QBs that didn't have NFL QB dads or NFL QB coaches in college. Winston, reportedly, started teaching himself how to read college/pro defenses in high school, therefore squashing the thought that he's not smart. Jimbo also began prepping Jameis for the starting QB position at FSU while EJ was playing there. Based on Jimbo's preparation Jameis is 21-0 with a national championship.

Well Kelly, there are a lot of HOF QBs that didn't have NFL QB dads or NFL QB coaches in college. Winston, reportedly, started teaching himself how to read college/pro defenses in high school, therefore squashing the thought that he's not smart. Jimbo also began prepping Jameis for the starting QB position at FSU while EJ was playing there. Based on Jimbo's preparation Jameis is 21-0 with a national championship.

Well, you got me there. I didn't know Jameis taught himself how to play NFL QB while in high school. Because he's well known for his smarts and judgment.

Just to be clear, you do realize that saying Jameis Winston taught himself how to read NFL defenses while in high school is the dumbest thing anyone has ever said here, right?

I'd love for the Jets to draft Winston, really don't believe he will translate to the pros plus this year he has looked far from brilliant. A lot of his throws are wide open targets, has/had a 1st rd WR, soon to be 1st TE and 2-3 other top flight talents around him. His O-line is loaded with prospects, just don't believe it's all him there.

Mariota is a wild card IMHO, he will need a lot of work mentally but I would put him a peg above EJ. Same type of prospect.....big, mobile, big arm but system questions and falling short in big games. Not as inconsistent though.

Connor Cook is who I'd be scared of them drafting, kid is brilliant and a true pocket QB. This year's QB class has a chance to be very weak if both Cook and Mariota stay in school, probably no one who is a surefire 1st rounder without them. Have not watched more then 1 or 2 games of Mannion from OSU but he could be a sleeper.

I'd LOVE it if the Jest took either one of them. Both are overrated and both will crumble under the pressure of the scrutiny in New York. Winston may want to consider baseball instead.

GO BILLS!!!

I've watched a lot (all?) of FSU games the last few years (I have a son who's a senior there). I NEVER thought EJ was an NFL QB (though I certainly hope it works out). Winston is the exact opposite, in my view. He's a natural. Don't be mistaken, the kid is NOT stupid. He's immature. He's 20 years old on a huge stage. He makes horrible decisions off the field, but generally good ones on the field. And he has all the tools. I realize I seem to be in the minority here, but I just watch him continue to make plays and find a way to win. And win. Yes, he needs to grow up and I'm not sure if that will happen. EJ's character and Winston's natural talent and you've got something. I don't like the antics either, but don't be fooled by them. He's ready come game day.

Just to be clear, you do realize that saying Jameis Winston taught himself how to read NFL defenses while in high school is the dumbest thing anyone has ever said here, right?

You've read this board before, right?

Yup. But that one is positively Mario-for-Skelton-esque.

I think what got me is the "therefore squashing any idea that he is not smart" part. Like double the lunacy. So it was criminally insane, and hysterically funny at the same time.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

i get where you're coming from, but there's only one guy in our division who we have no answer for - Gronkowski.

That has nothing to do with Gronkowski, though. It has far more to do with the fact that the Bills haven't covered a tight end in decades. Literally. Ben Coates, if not before.

Put it this way: there are Bills fans, right now, who are old enough to drink while they B word about the Bills not being able to cover a tight end, who were not even born the last time the Bills successfully covered a tight end.

That has nothing to do with Gronkowski, though. It has far more to do with the fact that the Bills haven't covered a tight end in decades. Literally. Ben Coates, if not before.

Put it this way: there are Bills fans, right now, who are old enough to drink while they B word about the Bills not being able to cover a tight end, who were not even born the last time the Bills successfully covered a tight end.

You must have forgotten about Tony Hunter. :lol:

We hear the same thing every year around this time "We need Taj Boyd" or "I can't believe we're going to miss out on Bridgewater" or even "Johnny Football would be our franchise QB".

Mariota and Winston are nothing more than this year's version of "the new popular Christmas toy". They are not Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning (guaranteed franchise QB's).

Don't sweat it.

Winston is so much better than Bridgewater and Boyd it's not even discussable. He will be "that good" until he winds up in prison. And when is anyone coming out of college a guaranteed franchise QB? If there was, there'd be a lot of big name college quarterbacks in the NFL now who've never seen the light of an NFL Sunday. The list is quite long.

I was wondering how long that could hang out there. I decided to wait and see rather than do it myself. I found it to be more amusing that way. Just a little understandable hyperbole.

Well, you got me there. I didn't know Jameis taught himself how to play NFL QB while in high school. Because he's well known for his smarts and judgment.

RIF Kelly, Reading Is Fundamental, I said he started teaching/learning how to read defenses! And actually your correlation to NFL fathers and NFL coaches equating to being a great NFL QB was probably the dumbest thing ever said here! Just ask Todd Marinovich!

RIF Kelly, Reading Is Fundamental, I said he started teaching/learning how to read defenses! And actually your correlation to NFL fathers and NFL coaches equating to being a great NFL QB was probably the dumbest thing ever said here! Just ask Todd Marinovich!

I'm just messing with you, dude. So, cheers. :beer: But you're digging yourself a bigger hole. I never said anything about coaches and sons, I said Luck, the QB, had a dad who played QB in the NFL, so he grew up with that his whole life. Marinovich's dad was a guard.

I've gotta say there is NO way if I'm GM that I draft famous Jameis. I've been wrong about a lot of things, and maybe on this one but I just couldn't do it. Too many red flags, not to mention he plays on a ridiculously stacked team, and at the college level he's a little bigger/stronger/faster. At the pro level that gap narrows, and the talent around him likely decreases s he'll probably be drafted by a bad team. Don't think he'd have the maturity to handle failure, and there won't be a university around to shield him. Plus all that occurring in the NY spotlight... could get ugly

I've gotta say there is NO way if I'm GM that I draft famous Jameis. I've been wrong about a lot of things, and maybe on this one but I just couldn't do it. Too many red flags, not to mention he plays on a ridiculously stacked team, and at the college level he's a little bigger/stronger/faster. At the pro level that gap narrows, and the talent around him likely decreases s he'll probably be drafted by a bad team. Don't think he'd have the maturity to handle failure, and there won't be a university around to shield him. Plus all that occurring in the NY spotlight... could get ugly

this is pretty much where I am as well.

I think this TE issue, that the Bills have never been able to cover them, is one those stupid threads that goes on without anyone really thinking about what they are saying. A TE has a good day and there is the issue that we can't cover them. A WR had the same day, but no comment on how we can't cover WR. Why are TE so different that it should be expected that they aren't productive? WR, TE and RB all catch balls, they are trained to. If they have a good day, it isn't necessarily a indictment of the defense. I get really tired of hearing this babble.

And honestly for many years, we haven't defended any player very well, not sure why tight ends get singled out.