I don't want the Jets getting their hands on Winston or Mariota..

zow2

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Winston and NYC is a bad, bad mix.

Yah... Hard to imagine that working out. Mariota may have the talent, but he's shy as a pup, with no presence in a locker room full of men...

The player the Jets OR Patsies must NOT get under ANY cicumstances is Nick O'leary... I know, I know, -'He's just a Tight End!' NOPE... Nick O'leary is a tremendous athlete, and charismatic leader... His personality could make him a fan favorite, and his talent could make him a QB's best friend... I'd love it if we grabbed him... But we won't. -Hopefully he stays the hell out of our division.

JaMarcus Russel-like physically, Vince Young mentally

I totally get this take on Winston, but I'm not sure it's accurate. Vince Young couldn't throw the ball. Period. Winston can. Russell was a lazy, fat guy with an enormous guaranteed contract with a thing for ""gurple""? Call me crazy (and I'm sure some will), but I say odds are good he turns into something good enough for top 10 in the NFL. He's frigging 20, not a red shirt senior and 23. Barely out of high school. All he does is win on a huge stage and make good decisions and throws on the field. I'd take a shot on that guy, but he won't make it out of the first round. I think the off field media stuff has made people lose track of the football we've seen.

And I would love O'leary!

I totally get this take on Winston, but I'm not sure it's accurate. Vince Young couldn't throw the ball. Period. Winston can. Russell was a lazy, fat guy with an enormous guaranteed contract with a thing for ""gurple""? Call me crazy (and I'm sure some will), but I say odds are good he turns into something good enough for top 10 in the NFL. He's frigging 20, not a red shirt senior and 23. Barely out of high school. All he does is win on a huge stage and make good decisions and throws on the field. I'd take a shot on that guy, but he won't make it out of the first round. I think the off field media stuff has made people lose track of the football we've seen.

And I would love O'leary!

I think O Leary would fit in well with this offense. Also he is Jack Nicklaus's grandson. Just find that awesome.

I think the pro Winston and Mariota people in this thread have backed themselves into a corner with the Andrew Luck comparisons. Neither of these guys are Andrew Luck. Andrew Luck was the closest thing to a sure thing that there has been in my time watching the NFL. He was money. The Colts knew that and that is why once the season started to go south they decided to tank (and don't believe they were ever considering RGIII - Luck was their man from a long, long way out.

To me, however, Winston and Mariota might be the two safest bets since Luck. In a straight out ranking I'd put them both above EJ and Geno and both above Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel and Carr in terms of pro prospects. Where they go and how they do will be interesting. Winston I see as an RGIII type who will come out and in the right offense cold have remarkable success early - he can play from the pocket, but part of the reason he sees so little pressure in the pocket is his ability to make plays with his legs however, when teams get more tape on him and with the extra speed and power of NFL defenses and start taking his legs away a bit then we will see the true test of him as an NFL Quarterback. How he responds should that happen will be crucial as it is presently for RGIII. Mariota I don't think quite has as high a ceiling as RGIII or Winston but I do think can be an NFL Quarterback. My take on him is the best thing that could happen to him is for him to go to a situation where he gets to sit for a year and a half whilst he improves from the pocket a la Colin Kaepernick. Kaepernick is not a top 10 Quarterback, he isn't even top 15 for me... but has been to a Superbowl and an NFC Championship game since becoming the starter. I see Mariota being capable of the same on a good team. If however, he is rushed into a bad situation to start immediately then Mariota has high bust potential.

I don't see a QB going first overall in 2015. Winston without the off-field stuff might, but I see Mariota going somewhere in the top 10 and Winston is a bit more hard to predict, but I doubt he goes number 1, especially if that is the Raiders..... I think they believe they are onto something with Carr.

Edited by GunnerBill

I suppose I'm pro Winston despite all the antics because he's just so talented (and only 20 years old). I haven't seen Mariota enough to have a firm opinion. But I have NEVER compared either to Luck who I feel is a generational type of player. I don't see a lot of people saying they're on the same level as Luck, who seemed to be a sure thing. Speaking of sure things, anyone seen that #14 catch the ball? He's kinda good.

Tampa, NYJ, Titans, Houston, maybe Oakland are teams I think will be looking QB early. Carr has decent numbers in Oakland but a new coach may still want to get his guy.

Marriota has the tools but every time I watch Oregon he's throwing to guys who are wide open. Winston I think will be a good player. I think if you don't want the Jets to take either one of them you're hoping Oakland doesn't want either one and trades out.

Tampa, NYJ, Titans, Houston, maybe Oakland are teams I think will be looking QB early. Carr has decent numbers in Oakland but a new coach may still want to get his guy.

Marriota has the tools but every time I watch Oregon he's throwing to guys who are wide open. Winston I think will be a good player. I think if you don't want the Jets to take either one of them you're hoping Oakland doesn't want either one and trades out.

i think Oakland would stick with Carr. I would. Jax is good on QB. Tampa, STL, jets look to be in that top 5 where they would take a QB. Maybe titans too if Mettenberger doesn't look good.

i think Oakland would stick with Carr. I would. Jax is good on QB. Tampa, STL, jets look to be in that top 5 where they would take a QB. Maybe titans too if Mettenberger doesn't look good.

Considering the investment Mettenberger would have to look great. Other teams such as Arizona and Dallas I think would take a QB if a guy they like is available. Guys like Cook, Petty, Hundley seem to treading water. Even with the monetary investment less I think teams will be cowardly and waste picks early on lineman.

Considering the investment Mettenberger would have to look great. Other teams such as Arizona and Dallas I think would take a QB if a guy they like is available. Guys like Cook, Petty, Hundley seem to treading water. Even with the monetary investment less I think teams will be cowardly and waste picks early on lineman.

agree on AZ and Dallas, was just thinking about teams likely it draft high.

Well Kelly, there are a lot of HOF QBs that didn't have NFL QB dads or NFL QB coaches in college. Winston, reportedly, started teaching himself how to read college/pro defenses in high school, therefore squashing the thought that he's not smart. Jimbo also began prepping Jameis for the starting QB position at FSU while EJ was playing there. Based on Jimbo's preparation Jameis is 21-0 with a national championship.

This is ridiculous.