Sammy Watkins Rookie of the Month for October

1B4IDie

I keep thinking about this: Sammy is only 21 years old. He won't hit his physical peak for another 3-4 years...and he's already a freak.

this was one big difference between him and Benjamin at draft time. KB was already 23 and still pretty raw at route running and playing the position technique-wise. He has one solid year of college production and most of that, both then and now, comes from being a physical mismatch at the point of the catch vs. the DBs. While there isn't anything wrong with that, and he has done well, he turns 24 in Feb. Sammy just turned 21 in June. Also I don't buy that KB purposely ran a slow 40 at the combine. He isn't fast. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that it was more about decent QB play and less about Sammy adjusting.

Exactly. Remember Watkins seemingly running free all day vs Texans secondary, only to have inaccurate passes fall at his feet/ fingertips? I'm not counting , but there are a lot more throws hitting him in the hands, I stride these days. The guy was just waiting for someone to get him the ball consistently. He was getting open from day one.

Can't agree with that because he shined pretty brightly in week 2 vs. Miami.

yeah but that was Miami!! :devil:

Will 75% do? I think you get the overall point.

Another angle to look at it from ...

How many weeks did it take Brady and Co to start clicking?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

yeah but that was Miami!! :devil:

Will 75% do? I think you think you get the overall point.

Another angle to look at it from ...

How many weeks did it take Brady and Co to start clicking?

There's no doubt he's progressing as a player as he gains experience. That should be a scary thought for future opponents of the Bills.

A couple of things to consider.....

Kyle has had almost no time to get in sync with Sammy....it is amazing that they hook up as well as they do. By the 3/4 point of this season look out! And with a training camp and preseason? These guys will be in each other's heads.

The dominance of Sammy Watkins will cause other receivers to be open on the field.....the ability to throw to the intermediately and deep levels of the field will loosen up the run defense.

Good things are coming....we are seeing a glimpse of the future.

Or as Wooderson just posted....

It took the rookie about 5 weeks to adjust to the speed of the NFL and shine!

Also note that Sammy still has a lot to learn. Case in point - the TD FAIL because of his early celebration.

Well, he did have 9 catches for 117 yards and a TD in his second game, with EJ and a fractured rib.

And what else does he need to learn after he learned he can't look at the Jumbotron? How to catch? Run patterns? Get separation? Beat coverage? Catch with one hand? Win games at the end with clutch catches? Block? Beat guys off the LOS? Accelerate? Get YAC? Jump high? Track the deep ball in the air?

What is all this lot of stuff he needs to learn?

A couple of things to consider.....

Kyle has had almost no time to get in sync with Sammy....it is amazing that they hook up as well as they do. By the 3/4 point of this season look out! And with a training camp and preseason? These guys will be in each other's heads.

The dominance of Sammy Watkins will cause other receivers to be open on the field.....the ability to throw to the intermediately and deep levels of the field will loosen up the run defense.

Good things are coming....we are seeing a glimpse of the future.

Assuming Orton comes to camp or doesn't opt out of his contract.

Well, he did have 9 catches for 117 yards and a TD in his second game, with EJ and a fractured rib.

And what else does he need to learn after he learned he can't look at the Jumbotron? How to catch? Run patterns? Get separation? Beat coverage? Catch with one hand? Win games at the end with clutch catches? Block? Beat guys off the LOS? Accelerate? Get YAC? Jump high? Track the deep ball in the air?

What is all this lot of stuff he needs to learn?

He needs to learn exactly what Kyle is thinking before Kyle thinks it. Once these two get the communication dialed in and Sammy can sense when Defenses are bringing some heat at the line, the sky is the limit. Watkins appears , so far, to be able to make ANY QB look good .

I held judgement on the trade up and the pick as long as i could . But the kid is appearing elite already. and its not just some moke from Fairport NY its generally agreed

This situation is just going to get better with time .

great time to be Bills fan , if you let it be !

Michael Irvin just called Benjamin his rookie of the YEAR.

Lolol. What a clown. I wonder how many lines of coke he did prior to that statement.

It is not at all a ridiculous statement. Benjamin has been very good for the Panthers and he was voted Rookie of the Month for September.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

It is not at all a ridiculous statement. Benjamin has been very good for the Panthers.

We'll see. Benjamin has had a veteran QB throwing him the ball all season. Sammy had EJ for 4 games and sammys numbers are just as good if not better.

The year comment is what got me.

Congrats to Sammy! Here's hoping you grab the OROY with a Sammy-style runaway (and no showboating).

Long after his playing days are done and he rewrites countless records, I can see an interviewer commenting on how he never showboated on the way to the end zone. Sammy replies "I did once. My rookie season. Got caught from behind. Vowed it would never happen again"

Sammy is already worth every bit of the 1st rounder we gave up for him. Not only does he have an elite future, but he's directly won us two games. No way do we beat Detroit or Minnesota with a lesser receiver.

The best part? He's actually devaluing that draft pick week by week. There's not a chance in hell that Cleveland makes the same trade in retrospect. In fact, Sammy would probably go first overall in the case of a re-draft.

As far as Whaley's moves go, this is second only to Hughes for Sheppard. Well done, Doug.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine