"Schwartz more demanding" and good Carucci article

Really good article on the front page of TBD from VC at the Buffalo News.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-defense-on-the-rise-under-schwartz-20141029??two-bills-drive

Interesting that Dareus says Schwartz is more demanding than Pettine, who seemed like an intense and demanding guy.

Doubly interesting because of the SB nation article also today about Orton being so demanding of the players.

This is no revelation of course, but it's still maybe a good topic on a bye week.

Heard them talking about Schwartz on the John Murphy show the other night...Chris Brown was saying that players are motivated by Schwartz to make plays, because he gets really pissed off when they don't. Schwartz, they say, takes every down seriously...if a guy doesn't make a stop on 3rd down, he will hear about it from the coach. Seems obvious, but apparently, this is something kind of new at One Bills Drive.

Really good article on the front page of TBD from VC at the Buffalo News.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-defense-on-the-rise-under-schwartz-20141029??two-bills-drive

Interesting that Dareus says Schwartz is more demanding than Pettine, who seemed like an intense and demanding guy.

Doubly interesting because of the SB nation article also today about Orton being so demanding of the players.

This is no revelation of course, but it's still maybe a good topic on a bye week.

There is so much to say about this article that I must itemize.....

1) I give Schwartz a lot of credit for the development of the backup defensive linemen. A TON of credit.

2) The NE game REALLY pissed me off. We can all hate on Brady, but he is flat out great. He is also old. Everything hurts more when one ages, let alone getting slammed by professional football players. We don't have the safeties to cover a healthy Gronk but I ask you.....who does? I would rather see Searcy blitzing a lot and moving Brady out of the pocket, perhaps into an oncoming Mario.

3) We just beat the Jets. I too am thrilled, but let's remember that they have no quarterback. It is easier to play back just a bit and rely more on the front 4. I get this.

4) QBs are starting to get banged up or so it seems. Let's see what Romo has left. I never root for injury, but I would like to see Alex Smith leveled a few times early on.

5) I will never dis Pettine. He is a fine coach and imo he helped change the philosophy in Buffalo.

6) The idea (or so I think) is for us to make the playoffs. It is going to take aggression. The DL is a strength. That said, I like it when players such as Robey, Bradham and my man Searcy get in there and pressure and/or sack the opposing qb.

7) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm warming to Schwartz, not that I had any reason to dislike, he just kinda gives you little to like. Pettine was similar, but after he changed things so dramatically last year, it was hard to lose him after only one year. All things being equal, Schwartz defense is statistically much better, and still getting all the sexy sacks and picks.

Schwartz never played defense in the NFL, so his pedigree is far below Marrone's.

But seriously, the Bills' PR department can't be pleased about this story.

Unless they're the ones who planted it.

I'm warming to Schwartz, not that I had any reason to dislike, he just kinda gives you little to like. Pettine was similar, but after he changed things so dramatically last year, it was hard to lose him after only one year. All things being equal, Schwartz defense is statistically much better, and still getting all the sexy sacks and picks.

I liked the Schwartz hire from the beginning, even though I didn't like the loss of Pettine. This makes it even more likable.

I liked the Schwartz hire from the beginning, even though I didn't like the loss of Pettine. This makes it even more likable.

Heh. I didn't like the loss of Pettine, but only because I was afraid we'd wind up with Wannstache the 2nd or his ilk.

As a D coordinator, I did not like Pettine. I felt he loved the blitz at the expense of stopping the run.

So far so good on Schwartz. My only caveat is lack of discipline leading to penalties. The Lions under Schwartz were a poorly disciplined team.

Edited by Hopeful

I just think of the number of other ways losing Pettine could have gone. Even with getting Schwartz, it could have gone differently than it has.

Therefore, we have to give some combination of Marrone/Whaley, and Schwartz himself credit for the outcome we did get, don't we?

The other place that is often overlooked, imo, is the effort by the LBs this year. With Kiko out? (Imagining what next year is going to be like with Kiko back is something I'll be doing in the duldrums of July). Preston Brown, the "inside LB who can't cover" running step for step down the field with a TE...and was covering....to the poin that the ball should never have been thrown his way. Same guy making tackles at the line. Nigel Bradham(minus the penalties) has been "re-born, hard" :) The Spikes get by Whaley was a good one. All of this with losing the best LB the Bills have had in years before the season? I mean Rivers isn't on the field much, and he was supposed to be a starter?

That also has to be mostly due to coaching and effort by properly picked players. The D line is great, but the LBs seem to be holding up their end as well.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I just think of the number of other ways losing Pettine could have gone. Even with getting Schwartz, it could have gone differently than it has.

Therefore, we have to give some combination of Marrone/Whaley, and Schwartz himself credit for the outcome we did get, don't we?

there is one more way it can go. We can exploit pettine's D on 11/30 and send the browns and lil donte Whiffner home with their dawg tails between their legs.

Marrone surely knows where the holes are in that D.

Edited by YoloinOhio

there is one more way it can go. We can exploit pettine's D on 11/30 and send the browns and lil donte Whiffner home with their dawg tails between their legs.

Marrone surely knows where the holes are in that D.

Yep, and I'm willing to bet Orton can make use of that info, to some degree.