NFL Rewind URBIK Pass Protect Review

Bocephuz

Watching in real time it appeared that Urbik did well in pass protect.. but to make sure I went back and watched NFL Rewind and isolated the passing plays and focused on Urbik. ( analyzing the run blocking is much more difficult than analyzing pass protect so I figured I'd go with the low hanging fruit)

DISCLAIMER - I'm not a coach, I don't know the play call, this is just a simple eye test review

TOTAL PASS PLAYS - 17 snaps

HELD HIS OWN/ APPEARED TO DO HIS JOB - 15 snaps

LOST BATTLE/ GAVE UP PRESSURE - 2 snaps

PLAYS OF NOTE

- Urbik was beaten twice. First time he was beaten off the snap/power move.. gave up pressure on Orton

- Second time he was beat on a spin move.. gave up a pressure

- Q1 - Urbik and Glenn PICKED UP A STUNT!!! perfectly

- None of the sacks were on Urbik

CONCLUSION - Urbik looked very solid in pass protect. No sacks given up, only 2 pressures and a solid job picking up on stunts.

CONCLUSION - Urbik looked very solid in pass protect. No sacks given up, only 2 pressures and a solid job picking up on stunts.

I know it doesn't sound like much and maybe it isn't. But if every offensive lineman gives up 2 pressures per game, how many times does your QB get to throw the ball while not under pressure? And how many sacks do you end up with? And how many interceptions does your QB end up throwing then?

I think a measure of a good game is when a lineman gives up no pressure and also does well in the passing game. By Bills standards comparatively though, maybe 2 pressures is good.

Two pressures up against Sheldon Richardson? I'd say that's pretty damn good. This is really an indictment of Marrone. Urbik should have been starting from game one - ahead of Chris Williams, Richardson and Pears. Now we need to get Pears out of the lineup. We got the bye week so it's our last chance to put together a decent O-Line. Cordy Glenn is our long term answer at LT, but he's also our best OL. Can you convince him to play LG for the remainder of the season for the good of the team? Can he? I'd give him an extension with LT money if it eases his pain. I'd move Henderson to LT where he looked very comfortable in preseason. So left to right it would be Henderson, Glenn, Wood, Urbik and Hairston. I still can't get over how decent Hairston looked as a rookie. He looked better than Pears ever did at RT, certainly as good as Henderson looked at RT.

If you don't want to move Glenn, can CK play guard at this point? Left to right Glenn, CK, Wood, Urbik and either Henderson or Hariston (not thrilled about two rookies in the O-Line). It was obvious Richardson had to be moved out of the starting lineup. I think it's equally obvious with Pears.

I'm no expert on grading linemen, but isn't allowing pressure on 12% of pass plays a bad thing?

If all five OL gave up pressure 12% of the time (assuming no overlap for the sake of argument), Orton would have guys on him 60% of the time.

That is, of course, assuming that they take turns giving up pressure and never does it happen for two or more players at the same time. Completely unrealistic.

Watching in real time it appeared that Urbik did well in pass protect.. but to make sure I went back and watched NFL Rewind and isolated the passing plays and focused on Urbik. ( analyzing the run blocking is much more difficult than analyzing pass protect so I figured I'd go with the low hanging fruit)

DISCLAIMER - I'm not a coach, I don't know the play call, this is just a simple eye test review

PLAYS OF NOTE

- Urbik was beaten twice. First time he was beaten off the snap/power move.. gave up pressure on Orton

There were 21 pass play snaps (don't forget the four sacks!).

Two pressures up against Sheldon Richardson? I'd say that's pretty damn good. This is really an indictment of Marrone. Urbik should have been starting from game one - ahead of Chris Williams, Richardson and Pears. Now we need to get Pears out of the lineup. We got the bye week so it's our last chance to put together a decent O-Line. Cordy Glenn is our long term answer at LT, but he's also our best OL. Can you convince him to play LG for the remainder of the season for the good of the team? Can he? I'd give him an extension with LT money if it eases his pain. I'd move Henderson to LT where he looked very comfortable in preseason. So left to right it would be Henderson, Glenn, Wood, Urbik and Hairston. I still can't get over how decent Hairston looked as a rookie. He looked better than Pears ever did at RT, certainly as good as Henderson looked at RT.

If you don't want to move Glenn, can CK play guard at this point? Left to right Glenn, CK, Wood, Urbik and either Henderson or Hariston (not thrilled about two rookies in the O-Line). It was obvious Richardson had to be moved out of the starting lineup. I think it's equally obvious with Pears.

The hard part about it is making a college coach & a mediocre (by all standards) one time NFL player see a NFL coaching decision that needs to be made for the betterment of the team .

Seeing as he was the mediocre player i don't expect him to see above average talent at his position to make a NFL coaching decision , thats why it took so long to put Urbik back in the line up where a year ago he got a extension because of his steady play at the position . :doh:

Edited by T master

PLAYS OF NOTE

Thanks much, I think it confirms what we suspected and what we saw.

However, I do have one issue: You based it on 17 pass plays, well, Orton was sacked four times, and scrambled at least one time for positive yards. Those are pass plays by design, and also pass plays that weren't executed. "Obviously" something broke down on those plays, they should be included in the analysis as well.

..and that's usually enough, unless it's your job, or you're interested enough to find the devil in the details - so thanks for your input.

by the way, i think what's gotten lost is the jobs our backs did when asked to pass protect.. not sure what they'll grade out to, but considering neither has started before yesterday - and we we're faced with many obvious passing downs - i'm thinking Freddie contributed to their preparation.

I'm no expert on grading linemen, but isn't allowing pressure on 12% of pass plays a bad thing?

If all five OL gave up pressure 12% of the time (assuming no overlap for the sake of argument), Orton would have guys on him 60% of the time.

I'd suggest that at this point, there's too small of a sample size to grade his total body of work for the year.

With that said, this is the odd moment where we are actually living in the comparative, and a 12% pressure rate from the LG spot is far better than we had been seeing, regardless of whether that's actually a good score, or not.