Should the Bills give Orton a contract extension at the end of the...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If EJ is not a good starter after next season, Kyle could be in for a major contract , if only for his 3rd or 4th year here.

EJ was going to be a project player as the Bills brass planned on having him sit behind Kolb for a while. I have no clue if Manuel will pan out, but I don't see why the Bills can't keep Orton around for a while (beyond the 2015 season).

Here's what I'd give Orton right now...

1)A functioning O-line, if I could arrange it.

2) Another option at WR -Possibly Marcus Easley.

3) A second TE.

4) 5 Killer plays where he could use all the aforementioned.

That's ALL this guy needs at the moment... The dump truck of money can wait.

Easy now. He already has a player option for 2015.

There is something I'm missing.

Maybe somebody can help me out.

I've seen the option for 2015 referred to as a "player option" that Orton is said to "hold".

That suggests to me that Orton decides whether he is a Bill or not next year.

If so, and if his play holds up for the rest of the year, either he agrees to a new contract or he waves goodbye.

Annualized his numbers after four games and somebody will pay him a lot more than 5bucks to be their QB next year.

If it's his decision I have even more respect for him as a shrewd operator.

Means he has come to Buffalo with the intention of leveraging his opportunity and has outsmarted yet another GM.

I find it amazing that someone actually started a thread on this after the Fitz debacle.

I was surprised when we extended Fitz. At the time, I was amazed how Gailey found a way to work around Fitz's weaknesses and capitalize on his strengths. But I wondered if it would last or if NFL defenses would catch up to us. Now we know.

Orton is a different case. I don't think Hackett is making Orton look good so much as Orton is making Hackett look competent.

It's only been four games, but I would consider extending Kyle if he continues to play at this level. Heck, he's 7th in the NFL in QB passer ratings right now. If he continues at that level, why wouldn't you extend him???

I've seen the option for 2015 referred to as a "player option" that Orton is said to "hold".

If so, and if his play holds up for the rest of the year, either he agrees to a new contract or he waves goodbye.

Annualized his numbers after four games and somebody will pay him a lot more than 5bucks to be their QB next year.

Means he has come to Buffalo with the intention of leveraging his opportunity and has outsmarted yet another GM.

that was exactly my thought as well, and figured that was the reason for the thread. Not to extend past next year, but to lock him down for next year. Based on that Graham article article on Sunday, no way does he sign an extension now, he is way to smart. He is going to leverage the next 8 games for starter money, not $5M a year.

Starry ,

i will not even pretend that i am willing to dig into the details of your statement , I will take it as fairly accurate. The man appears and sounds intelligent even with the Dallas thing. shrewd is a fine word here.

If we see he can stay healthy this full year and continue his trending , Bills should be starting that dialogue.

Deal for another two years. But I would want him to be all in to getting EJ to a respectable state of QB . Maybe it cant be done . And the Bills have to draft again. Gives Orton another year or two then to be the starter without a challenge. Seems like that would be appetizing for Kyle Orton.

He found the sweet spot here in Buffalo.

Shrewd is the perfect word at this point.

I have become a big fan of his :thumbsup:

Go KO !

Edited by 3rdand12

I don't think we want to give him an extension yet, but I did want to take the time to say that after watching the replay, the TDs to Chandler and Woods, and the bomb to Watkins, were just great passes, and the one to Sammy that he broke for the long TD was right on the run on the money and allowed him to accelerate and bust it. Those were great to watch.

Starry ,

i will not even pretend that i am willing to dig into the details of your statement , I will take it as fairly accurate. The man appears and sounds intelligent even with the Dallas thing. shrewd is a fine word here.

If we see he can stay healthy this full year and continue his trending , Bills should be starting that dialogue.

Deal for another two years. But I would want him to be all in to getting EJ to a respectable state of QB . Maybe it cant be done . And the Bills have to draft again. Gives Orton another year or two then to be the starter without a challenge. Seems like that would be appetizing for Kyle Orton.

He found the sweet spot here in Buffalo.

Shrewd is the perfect word at this point.

I have become a big fan of his :thumbsup:

Go KO !

I think that's right 3rd/12.

I think KO fully understood what he was getting into here and liked what he saw. Young players with talent looking for veteran leadership.

I have no doubt that's one of the main reasons he decided to come to Buff and that he likes the yet developing story about his being the guy who helps turn the franchise around (with the Pegs).

But Orton is his own man and he will decide what he's about next year.

If he continues to play like this he will be in the drivers seat at year end and he will be in demand. He's always been a better QB to me than Josh M was in Chicago or anywhere else JM has played.

The question is, what will he want?

One thing we can be sure of is that Kyle Orton will not sell himself short. He actually, and perhaps foolishly, thought he could compete for the starting job in Dallas, despite Jerry's deep love for Romo.

In my first post, I said at the end if the season and if Orton keeps playing at the level he is at now or better. So, how is that jumping the gun?

If the Bills sign Orton (at the end of the season) to a 4-5 year extension, they can focus on plugging in the remaining holes on the team, such as the Guard positions, and gain more depth.

Orton and the offense were not good against Det, NE, or Minn. Against the Jets, they gave the ball to us 6 times alone. Orton only completed 10 passes, had nine 3 and outs and the offense stalled a lot more than it should have. Was it a bad game...of course not. But this is Fitz all over again. Put up a little bit of stats in his first few games even though overall the offense wasn't playing well or consistent.

I need to see him play well and with consistency before I even consider him more than a seat warmer for a rookie next year. Before this weekend, he was the 29th ranked QB, so let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I hope he becomes a rock solid QB for us, but its waaaaaaaaay to early to even think about him being a long term answer...something he never has obtained with any team he's been on. He lost his jobs to Rex Grossman and Tim Tebow, so let him prove he's a better QB now and good enough to be a long term option and base it on one game where our D gift wrapped him field position all day.

Sure let's jump the gun and give him big money halfway through the year. That worked out well with Fitz

Keep in mind that for the second half of '10 combined with the first half of '11 Fitz had put together a stretch where his QB rating was near the top of the league. Fitz basically had a full year of QB rating in the 90s spread over two seasons. Orton has only 4 games so there is a long time before the front office will have a chance to do something silly like it did with Fitz.

IF the Fitz contract taught them anything

NO

Of course you would be weighing in on this one. And of course your response was predictable. And of course Kyle Orton and Ryan Fitzpatrick are the exact same person. So never extend a veteran QB ever again and only wait around for rookies to develop in the event that they are someday better than a stable veteran- which if recent NFL history has taught us anything, unless you are a blue chip/can't miss/Andrew Luck type, the odds of that happening are decidedly less than 50%. How much are you just waiting for Orton to have his first bad game so you can come on here and tell everyone about it? And for the record, I'm not advocating extending Orton tom'w. But if he plays at this level into next season, then it's a no brainer.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Orton and the offense were not good against Det, NE, or Minn. Against the Jets, they gave the ball to us 6 times alone. Orton only completed 10 passes, had nine 3 and outs and the offense stalled a lot more than it should have. Was it a bad game...of course not. But this is Fitz all over again. Put up a little bit of stats in his first few games even though overall the offense wasn't playing well or consistent.

I need to see him play well and with consistency before I even consider him more than a seat warmer for a rookie next year. Before this weekend, he was the 29th ranked QB, so let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I hope he becomes a rock solid QB for us, but its waaaaaaaaay to early to even think about him being a long term answer...something he never has obtained with any team he's been on. He lost his jobs to Rex Grossman and Tim Tebow, so let him prove he's a better QB now and good enough to be a long term option and base it on one game where our D gift wrapped him field position all day.

While I agree he shouldn't even be considered for an extension right now, he is the seventh rated passer in the league, with the sixth best YPA, and 9 Tds to 3 INTs.

You read so desperate now its not even funny ? What does Grossman or tebow have to do with anything ? Your argument is based on 5 + years ago ?

the offense was good enough to win 3 of the 4 times which is all it has to be . Good enough to win the game its playing on that particular. They had 9 three and outs and scored 43 points which means obviously they should've broken the single game scoring record .

From day one you keep moving around these imaginary goal posts of yours looking for something to complain about . the fact that you said B4 this weekend ? What exactly does that even mean ? How does a person want to talk football seriously when they want to omit facts simply so they can complain.

All we can judge Orton is by the last 4 weeks but as i said a few weeks looking at rankings and making absolute judgments is silly because in todays NFL there are 5-6 guys locked at the top and then the next 15 guys will move up and down that list over the course of the season .

The entire offense is basically starting from scratch .You don't undo what EJ did to the offense and team in a week or two . The offense will be working and improving each week and I don't see anyone saying that is what they expect .