Fire Hackett

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have scored 80 pts to the Jets 38 in their last 2 meetings. Something is working.

Each matchup is different. I'm not complaining.

I've got mixed feelings about this one. The conservative play-calling is getting rough to watch but when you look at the results.... I'm looking at 5-3 and hopeful of seeing January football involving Buffalo. We may not be the perfect but this team is getting better and tougher, especially the defense. Look how the offense has made it happen when they needed it like in the Vikings game.

Therein lies the problem. All too often, there has been at least one missed blocking assignment on plays such as these. They simply have not been able to rely on the necessary execution to succeed in the run game on a regular basis.

Its not just one missed block, as the entire line stinks at run blocking. As was posted in a different thread.

FWIW - Pro Football Focus rated our line's performance against the Jets as follows (from left to right):

Overall Performance:

Glenn -0.5

Urbik -0.6

Wood -5.9

Pears -2.1

Henderson +0.5

Pass Blocking:

Glenn +0.4

Urbik +0.4

Wood 0.0

Pears -0.6

Henderson +0.9

Run Blocking:

Glenn -1.1

Urbik -1.1

Wood -6.0

Pears -1.6

Henderson -0.6

There also are grades for penalties. The tackles were +0.2 and the others were 0.1

My take is that the bad play of the OG's is making the rest look so much worse, and that's with Urbik in there at LG. I dunno, perhaps once they play a few games together they will get better by gaining some continuity. I still have no idea why Whaley hasn't tried to bring in anyone, as Pears is a complete disaster at RG, and dragging Wood down with him.

Jeff Russo@JeffRussoWKBW 51s51 seconds ago

RT @StepnerWKBW: #Bills offensive coordinator Nate Hackett on criticism of play calling from outside after Jets game: "I love it."

Why does he love it?

It is the truth, he stinks at his job and is in way over his head. He does not belong as OC. Even Marrone realized he mistake after last year and brought in 2 other coaches to prop Hackett up.

Say what you will about the talent, good coaching could over come a lot of what we see on O. Just look at the D.

I still don't understand the whole "the OL can't run block" idea...4.87 YPC on first down for the season. That's actually quite good. They've also allowed the 10th-fewest stuffs at or behind the LOS in the league, and are 19th in Power Success (as of last week anyway); it's not like they're terrible.

The bigger problem has been running into loaded fronts on 2nd down.

As I've said a few times, I'd like to see Bryce Brown get more 1st down carries, as he averaged 5.0 YPC on first down.

Again though, the whole running game will benefit IMO if the short passing game can get on track.

You negatives are idiots. Just sit in your easy chairs and eat yourvwings,and keep quiet. 5-3 speakes for itself. You have no idea what the coaches see. A 20 point win on the road in a place we haven't EVER won. Just shut up!

I'll give you this. If you want someone to shut up, calling them an idiot and telling them to shut up usually works like a charm. You sound like a guy with people skills.

I still don't understand the whole "the OL can't run block" idea...4.87 YPC on first down for the season. That's actually quite good. They've also allowed the 10th-fewest stuffs at or behind the LOS in the league, and are 19th in Power Success (as of last week anyway); it's not like they're terrible.

The bigger problem has been running into loaded fronts on 2nd down.

As I've said a few times, I'd like to see Bryce Brown get more 1st down carries, as he averaged 5.0 YPC on first down.

Again though, the whole running game will benefit IMO if the short passing game can get on track.

I've decided that Hackett runs what I'll refer to as a "Galipoli Offense."

For you history buffs out there, the Battle of Galipoli was a pointless and horribly-executed battle in WWI over a meaningless strip of peninsula on the coast of Turkey. The British officers in charge of the ill-fated mission kept running waves of poorly-trained and ill-equipped soldiers into well-fortified Turkish trenches, resulting in a horrific loss of life. They continued doing this despite the fact that it continued to fail, over and over again, until countless numbers of British, NZ, Australian and Indian troops were dead or wounded. (Needless to say, they did not succeed in securing the peninsula.)

Anyhow the Bills on second down seem to feature this maneuver.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I think you are right here by mentioning that Marrone shouldn't get a free pass. He must buy into this idea that they should continue to pound the rock where they know it won't go. If he wasn't mentally in sync with Hackett on how this offense is being run, then he would certainly make something change. So, this continued bullheaded "pound the rock into the same spot on a brick wall hoping it will eventually break" mentality that they insist on carrying forward game after game shows you that Marrone is satisfied with Hackett's decisions. That means no change at OC even after this season is over I think. Maybe as the season plays out, that scenario will change, but if this team is .500 or better at the end of the year, you can bet we will be seeing more of this same crappy offense next year.

This coaching staff was handed modern weaponry (guns and missiles) to take into battle. Yet they choose to fight with sticks and stones instead. Maddening.

Well said!

You negatives are idiots. Just sit in your easy chairs and eat yourvwings,and keep quiet. 5-3 speakes for itself. You have no idea what the coaches see. A 20 point win on the road in a place we haven't EVER won. Just shut up!

Given your post, maybe you should not throw the term idiot around so freely.

I hear what you're saying; I just happen to think it takes more than a "good" OL to do that consistently. Even the best of OLs still requires teams to mix it up, especially against defenses like Detroit and the Jets, who are built for stuffing the run.

Anyway, I had time to look into the first down runs as we discussed, here's what they look like:

@Chi - 2,5,6,4,5,6,47,4,4,3,1,5,-2,4,13,1,5 Avg - 6.6 (4.1 without the 47 yarder)

vs. Mia - 11,3,4,2,4,2,2,1,2,6,47,0,2,2,3,2 Avg - 5.8 (3.1 without the 47 yarder)

vs SD - 3,2,6,4,8,2,3 Avg - 4.0

@Hou - 2,5,4,0,22,1,7,1,9,3,7,8,2,3 Avg - 5.3 (4.0 without the 22 yarder)

@Det - 5,2,1,-8,-2,1,1,3,1 Avg 0.44

vs. NE - -3,5,1,2,4,3,15,0,4,-4 Avg - 2.7

vs. Min - 4,4,53,5,2,5,12,1,3 Avg - 9.9 (2.9 without the 53 yarder)

@NYJ - 6,1,3,3,4,1,1,4,5,1,4,-2,5,4 Avg - 2.9

Season average on first down: 4.87

Glean from that whatever you may.

check the stats in the Minn game. It doesnt look like your numbers add up to 2.9 without the long run. Unless it was 1,2 instead of 12.

Thanks for doing that though.

Bills' Hackett on fan criticism from Jets game: "I love it"

By Joe Buscaglia

2983660.jpg?1414535481

The lack of yardage, combined with the lack of conversions for touchdowns, and perhaps a touch of predictability led some fans to continue to call for him to be fired, despite the offense posting 43 points on the afternoon.

"I love it. I love it," Hackett said with a smile of the criticism. "It's a challenge. You win by 20 points, you score 43 points. What, I think we had five offensive touchdowns? I mean, I want more too. I hope everybody does, because otherwise why are we doing this stuff? The defense played outstanding. I'm up there cheerleading for them the whole time going 'Get another one! Get another one!' So it's great, we all love it."