No Moral Defeats

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a moot point, they're not making the playoffs with this offense.

I know you think that this attitude makes you a realist and a winner and someone who expects excellence. And also that you are not alone here.

But I can only respond with a sentiment I have expressed many a time: Relentless negativity is no more realistic than relentless optimism, and it makes you a lot less fun to be around.

All those who think of themselves as "realists" love to argue after any loss, "It doesn't matter how well they played, or if there were bad breaks, there are no moral victories. A loss is a loss."

And yet today, after an actual victory, we can hear voices, indeed from many so-called realists, that this win is not a good win, not a real win, because it should not have been this hard. Essentially, those who claim there are no moral victories are claiming the existence of moral defeats.

Come on now. Does anyone else see how horribly self-defeating and unnecessarily negative such an approach to life is?

If a win is a win, this is a win.

Would the Bills win every game if they played as they did today? Certainly not.

But they won today.

Next week, do we hope they will play better? You bet.

But they won today.

Hope lives. Embrace hope, my friends. It is what makes life worth living.

Some people can't enjoy success. They would complain after the Bills 32-point comeback game.

A win is absolutely a win. And a win is always better than a loss, period.

But did either of you think the Bills looked like a team that should be considered as a playoff contender yesterday?

Based on Marrones presser, he didn't. And either do I.

So yes I am happy the Bills won, but the way they played was a very sobering experience for the remainder of the season. At least for me.

But did either of you think the Bills looked like a team that should be considered as a playoff contender yesterday?

So yes I am happy the Bills won, but the way they played was a very sobering experience for the remainder of the season. At least for me.

No, I don't think the Bills looked like a playoff team yesterday. On any given Sunday, a lot of playoff teams don't look like playoff teams either. But you know what all teams need to do if they want to go to the playoffs? They need to leave the field with more points than the other guys--i.e., they need to win. That's my sober reason for thinking that winning was a good thing, even if the team (as Doug says) needs to get better.

17 weeks is a long time in the nfl - youll have a lot of ups and downs. if yesterday turns out to be one of those downs and we still got a win out of it - ill gladly take it. if its indicative of how we will look going forward though - its worrisome.

Because if there wasn't a large number of fans who enjoy bitching non-stop about the Bills, no one would follow Tim Graham on Twitter.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees that jackwagon for what he is.

IDK if you follow him on Twitter, but I'm starting to get the feeling that Joe B has a little bit of Timmy G in him. Just some of his comments lately. Very odd.

Society values complaints more than praise. People show how smart they are by finding things to dislike. It's a human trait magnified for those who write for a living.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees that jackwagon for what he is.

Last week when Orton was struggling, he posted something to the effect of "I still don't hear cries of "We want EJ!"

I don't post a lot on Twitter...mostly follow...but I replied "He's the Tim Graham of quarterbacks!" and actually had a couple of Bills fans from here stop following me. :lol:

Misery does love company, apparently.

Last week when Orton was struggling, he posted something to the effect of "I still don't hear cries of "We want EJ!"

I don't post a lot on Twitter...mostly follow...but I replied "He's the Tim Graham of quarterbacks!" and actually had a couple of Bills fans from here stop following me. :lol:

Misery does love company, apparently.

It saddens me that a bunch of the Bills Mafia guys on Twitter follow Timmah and sing his praises. I guess they think they will somehow get closer to the team. They don't understand that Timmah and those like him don't give two schitts about them.

Did the Pats* feel "embarrassed" about their wins vs. Oakland and the Jets -- at home?

You can learn a lot about people when they can't even enjoy an exhilarating victory on a day in which a lot of mistakes were made. This is the kind of win we've been crying about being "on the other side of" for years.

At the end of the season, do me a favor. Look at all twelve playoff teams' resumes and analyze each W. Games like this are littered throughout "good" teams' records.

There is no "should have dominated" in today's NFL. Does anyone watch these games? Seattle has lost two in a row. Cleveland scored a measly six points against Jacksonville.

Remember the '90 Bills needing three "lucky" TDs in about 70 seconds to beat Denver in a game in which they were dominated throughout? This stuff happens.

I'm going to enjoy this week like I always do after a Bills win. There are holes to plug and a coaching staff for which I still have many questions, but so far this year they've won more than they've lost.

Excellent post.

Years ago, when the Bills were great and Bill Polian was the GM, he had a show on a local channel. After an unimpressive win, I remember a situation where he was responding to a question like this discussion and he turned to one of the fans in the studio audience, and asked the fan what the important thing to accomplish during the game is. The fan answered, "Win the game." Polian just turned to whoever had asked the question and said something like, "See, he gets it. He knows." You can go back to the Bills glory days and find 3 or 4 wins each year when they pulled one out of their butts. So what. Winning those games was the difference between not making the playoffs and getting home field advantage through the playoffs.

Yesterday they didn't start out great, considering Hogan's early fumble, but that followed a good initial stop by the D and a sharp drive by the Bills' O. After Hogan's fumble the whole team started having a little trouble, and the Vikings started playing better. After Jackson and Spiller both went down, the O had serious problems. I think they didn't get Dixon prepared to be the only RB and so the O couldn't run a lot of plays. Getting limited to basic plays is a bad thing, especially with a rotten O line.

I think the defensive game plan was an experiment by Schwartz. He had been focusing on the run so much that the pass D wasn't very good. He tried balancing things and ended up not stopping either very well. Good thing the Vikings O is bad. The Bills made Jennings look a lot better than he really is.

I think Brown was acquired as Spiller's replacement assuming Spiller would leave after this year, and Brown will be the featured back against the NJJ. The running game will be a lot more capable, and that will help address one problem from yesterday. But LG, RG, and RT are still going to struggle against the Jets D line. The Bills have a fighting chance to win next Sunday but they're weak where the opposition is strong, and the Jets have been off since Thursday night. Tough game next Sunday, and the Bills will need to elevate their game.

Relentless negativity is no more realistic than relentless optimism...

When it comes to the Bills it is. If we were Denver fans relentless optimism would be more realistic.

It's not one size fits all.

17 weeks is a long time in the nfl - youll have a lot of ups and downs. if yesterday turns out to be one of those downs and we still got a win out of it - ill gladly take it. if its indicative of how we will look going forward though - its worrisome.

This sums me up pretty well. I am an optimist and I didn't like what I saw yesterday but I am happy for the w. Not super excited like I was after the first 2 games but I am happy the Bills are sitting at 4-3 instead of 3-4. That said there was an awful lot not to like about yesterdays game. I will take an ugly win over a pretty loss any day but I hope to see more going forward.

I know you think that this attitude makes you a realist and a winner and someone who expects excellence. And also that you are not alone here.

But I can only respond with a sentiment I have expressed many a time: Relentless negativity is no more realistic than relentless optimism, and it makes you a lot less fun to be around.

Great quote, hope you don't mind if I steal it sometime.

And I agree, one thing I promised myself once the Super Bowl years were all over was that I wouldn't dismiss a win. So far, so good. It wasn't pretty, but ask a Vikings fan how this Monday morning feels.