No Moral Defeats

All those who think of themselves as "realists" love to argue after any loss, "It doesn't matter how well they played, or if there were bad breaks, there are no moral victories. A loss is a loss."

And yet today, after an actual victory, we can hear voices, indeed from many so-called realists, that this win is not a good win, not a real win, because it should not have been this hard. Essentially, those who claim there are no moral victories are claiming the existence of moral defeats.

Come on now. Does anyone else see how horribly self-defeating and unnecessarily negative such an approach to life is?

If a win is a win, this is a win.

Would the Bills win every game if they played as they did today? Certainly not.

But they won today.

Next week, do we hope they will play better? You bet.

But they won today.

Hope lives. Embrace hope, my friends. It is what makes life worth living.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're satisfied with mediocrity. Year 15 of winning just enough to keep hope alive, but never enough to truly be a team capable of competing in the playoffs. I have no faith that this coaching staff and QBs will ever take this team to the next level.

So winning just enough that they keep their jobs for another year just prolongs the cycle of mediocrity. Rinse and repeat.

So you're satisfied with mediocrity. Year 15 of winning just enough to keep hope alive, but never enough to truly be a team capable of competing in the playoffs. I have no faith that this coaching staff and QBs will ever take this team to the next level.

So winning just enough that they keep their jobs for another year just prolongs the cycle of mediocrity. Rinse and repeat.

Only a Bills fan calls that game winning drive mediocre. The mind boggles. Orton has had 2 last second game winning drives in three games. And people still complain. :blink: I guarantee you if Orton did that to us we'd all be crying how the Bills suck because we didn't sign him when we could.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Only a Bills fan calls that game winning drive mediocre. The mind boggles. Orton has had 2 last second game winning drives in three games. And people still complain. :blink: I guarantee you if Orton did that to us we'd all be crying how the Bills suck because we didn't sign him when we could.

I'm talking about the team's performance over the season, as in past year's. Every team is going to have some good plays, especially against other bad teams. You're delusional if you think this team is good enough to make the playoffs. But keep putting lipstick on a pig and calling it pretty.

No no.... They are winning more than they are losing. That's better than they've done in a very very long time.

I'm talking about the team's performance over the season, as in past year's. Every team is going to have some good plays, especially against other bad teams. You're delusional if you think this team is good enough to make the playoffs. But keep putting lipstick on a pig and calling it pretty.

So if they do make the playoffs this year you will still be unhappy because of past performance?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

No no.... They are winning more than they are losing. That's better than they've done in a very very long time.

Actualy, after 7 games 3 years ago we were 5 - 2.

For the record, I thought today's win was awesome. I'm ecstatic we're 4 - 3.

Edited by reddogblitz

Here's a question: If defense is half the game, how come we only focus on the offense when trying to decide if a win was "good" or not?

Our defense got to the quarterback 5 times and held a team to 1 touchdown and 16 points, despite our offense committing 4 turnovers. That's pretty incredible. I think it's time to accept that one side of the ball is significantly better than the other this year and embrace wins like this. It probably won't be the last.

The problem is that we have mostly been playing like crap since week 3. Yes, we miraculously pulled two wins out of our behinds during that stretch, but what we've seen is not a recipe for success. The team is getting worse, not better, at this point. Reminds me a lot of 2003.

The problem is that we have mostly been playing like crap since week 3. Yes, we miraculously pulled two wins out of our behinds during that stretch, but what we've seen is not a recipe for success. The team is getting worse, not better, at this point. Reminds me a lot of 2003.

There was nothing miraculous about those wins .I dont know how anyone can follow the NFL the past couple of years and think a one score lead is safe in a passing league.

the ability to close out games is paramount in this league GB,Cards,Cowboys have all been on the ropes in the 4th but they found ways to pull out wins even though they may not have played there best .

I dont get why fans put these unrealistic conditions of winning on their own teams but nobody elses .

Here's a question: If defense is half the game, how come we only focus on the offense when trying to decide if a win was "good" or not?

Our defense got to the quarterback 5 times and held a team to 1 touchdown and 16 points, despite our offense committing 4 turnovers. That's pretty incredible. I think it's time to accept that one side of the ball is significantly better than the other this year and embrace wins like this. It probably won't be the last.

Most weeks I'd agree but the vikes are bad.

We stole one today, and you've got to steal some but when the team lost 17-3 last week and gave up 8 sacks... They've been held to 10 or fewer 4 times... the additional context makes it feel like we got away with one. I'm fine by that but having a hard time saying it's any better. Same game against a good team and I'd back your sentiment

Most weeks I'd agree but the vikes are bad.

We stole one today, and you've got to steal some but when the team lost 17-3 last week and gave up 8 sacks... They've been held to 10 or fewer 4 times... the additional context makes it feel like we got away with one. I'm fine by that but having a hard time saying it's any better. Same game against a good team and I'd back your sentiment

I still feel as though I've seen much uglier wins, especially during the Jauron era. Games where you were tempted to turn off the TV despite the score being close because the quality of play was just that bad. Games during which not a single player stood out. In this game, there were no fewer than a dozen truly impressive plays by the Bills, many of which were during the winning drive.

Watkins, Dareus and Hughes played like All Pros. McKelvin, Hogan and Chandler had highlight reel moments.

However, mistakes occurred often. It was nearly a frustrating loss, but not a bad win.

There was nothing miraculous about those wins .I dont know how anyone can follow the NFL the past couple of years and think a one score lead is safe in a passing league.

the ability to close out games is paramount in this league GB,Cards,Cowboys have all been on the ropes in the 4th but they found ways to pull out wins even though they may not have played there best .

I dont get why fans put these unrealistic conditions of winning on their own teams but nobody elses .

I'm not saying this team is great, but in the words of John Facenda, "Great teams aren't always great. They're just great when they have to be."

Sometimes its better to be lucky then good, and the Bills got lucky again. Some spectacular passes, and catches at the end, and luck. Like the 4th down catch by Chandler. Like the big catch by Hogan, and that last TD to Sammy with one second left on the clock. Like the pass thrown behind Watkins , and he turns, and deflects it before its intercepted.

It shouldn't have come to that, as the Vikings were a bad team that the Bills should have dominated on defense at home. The Bills only rushing four, and dropping in coverage allowed way to many rushing yards. Then they made a rookie QB look like an all pro at times. Minnesota is 30th in offense, and yet almost won.

Frustrating game to watch, and yet exciting at the end.

Did the Pats* feel "embarrassed" about their wins vs. Oakland and the Jets -- at home?

You can learn a lot about people when they can't even enjoy an exhilarating victory on a day in which a lot of mistakes were made. This is the kind of win we've been crying about being "on the other side of" for years.

At the end of the season, do me a favor. Look at all twelve playoff teams' resumes and analyze each W. Games like this are littered throughout "good" teams' records.

There is no "should have dominated" in today's NFL. Does anyone watch these games? Seattle has lost two in a row. Cleveland scored a measly six points against Jacksonville.

Remember the '90 Bills needing three "lucky" TDs in about 70 seconds to beat Denver in a game in which they were dominated throughout? This stuff happens.

I'm going to enjoy this week like I always do after a Bills win. There are holes to plug and a coaching staff for which I still have many questions, but so far this year they've won more than they've lost.

Ouch... You are so right.

Perhaps the underlying issue is that the Bills have made zero progress against New England. Sadly for Buffalo Brady still owns the Bills. Until this changes it will be hard to say real progress has been made.

A W was put up yesterday. We remain alive in the playoff hunt.

I know it was ugly, but in past years, there is no way we come back and win this game at the end. It was a clutch drive and they fought hard despite playing poorly for most of the day. I'm happy with the win, but hoping they can fix some things before next week. Rex Ryan will have had 10 days to prepare for us and you know we will be facing a good defensive game plan. Got to eliminate the turnovers. If we do that, I like our chances, if not, then we go into the bye week at 4-4.