Van Freeking Miller

I'm sitting here watching the Flutie special and half way through they get into the Buffalo years. They cut to Flutie replacing the ever-brittle RJ against San Diego and then BOOM, Van's remarkable voice calling a TD to Reed. There are very few things in my life that give me instant chills and an amazing nostalgic feeling like his voice. It's really so special to me. He's an all time great and a class act. Thank you Van for being the best there was!

John Murphy seems like a nice guy and very genuine in his call but he's missing that traditional radio voice that Van obviously had. We were very spoiled in WNY having Van and RJ all those years.

Miller was a great announcer, no question. When people think of Van, they think of his play calls from the Comeback game or the 77 second comeback vs Denver or Flutie vs Denver or a bunch of other games during many, many good seasons. Give the guy some love this Sunday.

Murphy has been hindered a little by not having much to work with on the field, IMO. If the Bills ever do something we'll see if he can properly commemorate the moment.

Edited by vincec

John Murphy seems like a nice guy and very genuine in his call but he's missing that traditional radio voice that Van obviously had. We were very spoiled in WNY having Van and RJ all those years.

murph has absolutely no flavor. he's the unsalted white rice of football announcers. also, there's something weird to me about the way he refers to coach sal as "our own sideline sal." kinda emasculating. i dunno, maybe sal like it. he's probably just happy being on the sidelines, rather than broadcasting from his mom's basement.

but, yeah, murph seems like a nice enough guy. he's the type who would keep a close eye on the meat at a barbecue to make sure it doesn't burn.

Edited by Dirtbag

Van is just a class act all around. At one point I had some mp3 clips of his classic calls that I'd listen to when I needed motivation (they went the way of my old phone and I can't retrieve them. If anyone has some please share!)

I recall listening to his last game broadcast; he was such a funny guy in that classic, old-school way you don't see anymore. I think he may have had a few pops in him as he was hilariously needling Murph the whole game. They were a good pairing as I feel Murph is better in the analyst role than play-by-play man.

Edited by bklnpete

Sad I can't be there, but confident the Bills faithful will show him his due fandemonium when he takes his place on the wall on Sunday.

Props to Carruci's column today for reminding people to be in their seats in time to cheer.

Don't know if you all know about this web-site..my brother in-law recently turned me on to it...if you grew up in Buffalo, particularly in the 60-late 80's, it is just awesome...archived broadcasts from Buffalo...Van Miller radio calls, Ted Darling doing a re-cap of the Sabres 1975 season....a blast of nostalgia. This is a truly awesome web-site:

http://staffannouncer.com/

As for Van Miller, I must say, like a lot of things, I didn't appreciate him as much when I used to listen to him. Because, it normally meant I was stuck listening to the Bills game, rather than seeing it...for some reason, that seemed inferior to me. Now, I appreciate him more. Had the same lack of appreciation for RJ as a lad....cuz Ted Darling was so smooth...

As Alaska Darin points out, and I agree wholehearedly, I like John Murphy, but I just don't find him particularly compelling doing the games...kinda dull. Van just had an hint of excitement in his voice, but wasn't over the top like so many "hometown guys" try to be now.

Edited by Buftex

van miller's voice was amazing. and the excitements and enthusiasm were just top notch. he really made the radio broadcast come to life. listening to him call the games then was like nothing i will ever experience again. i like john murphy quite a bit, but i am sure he would be the first to tell you he is no van miller.

We have been very spoiled.

Murph has the unfortunate job of following a legend. It was a no win situation for Murph, no one could follow Van. When Murph hangs it up, the next guy will have a chance based on the amount of time that has passed.

My mom's uncle was the voice of Michigan Football for decades, an Ann Arbor legend in his own right, and I grew up listening to his tapes. Now I live in Los Angeles where I'm privileged to get to listen to Vin Scully every year. I guess you could say I was raised with a deep respect for what it takes to call a game on the radio. I still listen to sports on the radio, even when I'm watching the game on TV just because it's better coverage when done right and can make you feel more connected to the game than TV commentators can.

Van Miller is Buffalo to me. He is simply one of the best to ever do it. I'll be cheering for him tomorrow.

Van was a once-in-a-lifetime talent. Maybe he was not the most technically sound in terms of describing the action in detail--especially late in his career--but he more than made up for it with his feel for the game and his ability to project the raw emotion and enthusiasm of the moment through his voice. He is most definitely on my Mt. Rushmore of broadcast legends, and one of the main reasons I wanted to go to school for broadcast communication.

Just wondering - was Van's estranged son at the game today at halftime?

Unfortunately, Van looks like he's in ill health. They drove him out in an old Caddy convertible, but he never got out. So, it was just Murph's tribute and it looked like Van and his wife in the back of the car, and I never even looked into the front seat.

What's the story with his son?