What happened to the analytics guy?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fairly simple. Sticking a couple of resources in the corner to crunch numbers does not change the process of drafting players or ultimately winning games. The task at hand is to change the culture at One Bills Drive to a data driven decisioning making organization. For that you need a solution implementation resource who specializes in change management, not number crunchers. More important than the complexity of the data is how you utilize it.

Like most organizations the Bills use traditional decision making methods, "I think.....". Organizations like this utilize data to back up their "I think" decisions rather than using the data to lead them to the course of action they should take. The culture at One Bills Drive is the problem. People need to be accountable and their processes measurable. Two guys in the corner analyzing data and sharing it in a weekly meeting will not help anything. An entire organization (owners, coaches, players, staff, etc.) measuring their processes and using data to drive their decision making will.

Your brother Darryl didn't get the gig?

None of them attended, much less graduated, from A & M. The older one, however, has become known as a "solution implementation resource who specializes in change management" - - he simplified the job description on his business card:

http://www.someecards.com/usercards/viewcard/MjAxMS0zZmYxMjdiN2E0N2JhMzg4

Roll Tide

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

I'm not sure someone says "analytics" and all of the sudden you have all of the info. The very first step in analytics is deciding what you want to measure. Secondly, you have to capture the data you want to measure. Depending on how you do it, it could be YEARS before you have data that can point you in the right direction.

The whole thing about all of the sudden having "analytics" and being able to draw conclusions from it is just asinine. I know that not everyone knows much about the technology and how it works, but please use your heads.

I'm not sure someone says "analytics" and all of the sudden you have all of the info. The very first step in analytics is deciding what you want to measure. Secondly, you have to capture the data you want to measure. Depending on how you do it, it could be YEARS before you have data that can point you in the right direction.

The whole thing about all of the sudden having "analytics" and being able to draw conclusions from it is just asinine. I know that not everyone knows much about the technology and how it works, but please use your heads.

I think a lot of casual fans like analytics because it gives them what looks like concrete information and allows easily determined (and defensible) decisions. You want to see over emphasized analytics? Just look at the incredibly short tenure of Banner and Lombardi in Cleveland. I've always been an advocate of using analytics as a piece of the puzzle with players, but it is a piece that varies in size. With a high first round pick it is nothing more than a check to make sure the player can transition to the NFL. By late in the draft I'm looking at the HWS guys at the top of the analytics board who are raw and leaning much more on that to find diamonds in the rough.

Dude, you're harshing on the buzz(word). B-)

I think a lot of casual fans like analytics because it gives them what looks like concrete information and allows easily determined (and defensible) decisions. You want to see over emphasized analytics? Just look at the incredibly short tenure of Banner and Lombardi in Cleveland. I've always been an advocate of using analytics as a piece of the puzzle with players, but it is a piece that varies in size. With a high first round pick it is nothing more than a check to make sure the player can transition to the NFL. By late in the draft I'm looking at the HWS guys at the top of the analytics board who are raw and leaning much more on that to find diamonds in the rough.

Umm, in retrospect, those guys in Cleveland seem to have collected some impressive talent ... talent that Pettine now gets to take credit for

Umm, in retrospect, those guys in Cleveland seem to have collected some impressive talent ... talent that Pettine now gets to take credit for

Lombardi deserves credit for bringing Hoyer to the team, that was his call all of the way. Banner and Lombardi deserve credit for recouping a first round draft choice for Trent Richardson and for Greco as a FA. But beyond that they didn't do much positive for the team. They got a late round gem in Armonty Bryant, but whiffed badly on the early picks (and the other late ones). Barkevious Mingo anyone? Even the Pettine hire was Haslam's call. The UDFAs brought in by Farmer this offseason have been impressive.

Analytics is a marketing ploy like throwback jerseys

Analytics is real. But it's slow to catch on with "old school"guys Hackett, for all his youth, strikes me as kind of an "old school" hunchy type OC

I don't think the analytics guy is being used correctly any more than Spiller.

Other things being equal, you're correct but analytics have been around the NFL for years. There's a ton of data out there and more comes in with the "film" every week.

Marrone and Hackett: "Hey, analytics guy...for our first play from scrimmage against Houston, we want to run Spiller up the middle....what do you think?"

Analytics Guy: *computer keys tapping in the background* Sure why not.

Marrone and Hackett: "Hey analytics guy, for our first play from scrimmage against the Lions, we want to run Spiller up the middle, what do you think?"

Analytics Guy: *computer keys tapping in the background* Ugh....sure, go ahead.

Marrone and Hackett: "Hey analytics guy, for our first play from scrimm........."

Analytics Guy: *computer keys tapping in background* Yeah, yeah, I know...Spiller up the middle. I'm eating a pizza roll....go ahead.

It's funny, because it's true

Edited by KollegeStudnet