Does Jason Garret Teach us Something About Coaching Changes?

Drafting offensive lineman that dominate is the play.

This. Unfortunately got to give this one to Jerry. He came to the realization of what really won for them in the 90s, dominate OLine play. The Cowboys OLine was old and he cut ties with the group a few seasons ago. He then hit big time with Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, and Zach Martin with 1st round picks in 2011, 2013, and 2014 respectively. Add in the veteran leadership of Doug Free and the emergence of an undrafted Free Agent in Ronald Leary and there you go. You put a guy like DeMarco behind that group with the competence of Romo and the star power at WR in Dez and you have a winning team.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, get a good QB and protect him with high picks on the OL, WRs, TEs and a Great RB. When he's healthy....WIN.

Then get to the playoffs and watch him choke.

That is pretty funny! :w00t:

This. Unfortunately got to give this one to Jerry. He came to the realization of what really won for them in the 90s, dominate OLine play. The Cowboys OLine was old and he cut ties with the group a few seasons ago. He then hit big time with Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, and Zach Martin with 1st round picks in 2011, 2013, and 2014 respectively. Add in the veteran leadership of Doug Free and the emergence of an undrafted Free Agent in Ronald Leary and there you go. You put a guy like DeMarco behind that group with the competence of Romo and the star power at WR in Dez and you have a winning team.

Not to mention a good maybe great TE.

Drafting offensive lineman that dominate is the play.

Others too try drafting OL in the 1st Round multiple years, but it doesn't pan out. Just so happens the Cowboys got it right and Romo/Murray thank them much.

Edited by H2o

Murray has been a star. The only reason the 'Boys have turned it around is because they started running the football. A lot. Last year, they'd be up 21-0 and would keep throwing the ball.

He also hasn't been healthy for this long in a season since his rookie year I believe.

He does teach you something. When a coordinator can't do his job you get rid of him. The O Line is certainly playing well but the biggest difference with the team is they don't have a historically bad Defense. Firing Monte Kiffin was the best move they made all off season imo.

What can be gleaned from the Garrett situation is the changes within the staff. Monte Kiffin was demoted in favor of Rod Marinelli- Bill Callahan in favor of Scott Linehan. Now maybe these changes came from above (Jerruh), but they were made, and for the betterment of the team. If Marrone wants to survive as coach, he needs to take a long, hard look at his OC. Hackett has no feel for the game and seems totally overmatched. It is past time for a change (maybe Marrone should just take over the play calling himself).

I had the same thought. The Bills seem to devalue interior line play, and what is this getting them? In contrast, Jerry Jones, that draft mastermind, picks G Zack Martin in the first round and he's now in the conversation for offensive ROY.

Link

To be fair, Jerry Jones himself said after the start of the season that he wanted Manziel and that is son essentially pinned him down and forced the Zack Martin pick, and at the time Jerry hated it....how about now?? So, master mind he isn't but at least this time he deferred to someone who had a bit more sense than he did...Martin was a no-brainer at their selection spot in my mind, but then again it is the Cowboys.

They are running the ball more and giving Romo less rope to hang himself. Surprisingly their defense hasn't fall apart as many predicted.

I like Orton, he's obviously better than EJ right now, but I don't want our coaches to give him more chances to give the game away by passing more. It would be great if we can find a running game going forward and use PA to our advantage.

let's not forget that they have a good QB (and a RB that doesn't try to bounce it outside every handoff). it's easy to build the rest of the offense around someone that can actually play the position.

He does teach you something. When a coordinator can't do his job you get rid of him. The O Line is certainly playing well but the biggest difference with the team is they don't have a historically bad Defense. Firing Monte Kiffin was the best move they made all off season imo.

Both good points.

A superior OL is important but rather obvious to make it a priority when you have everything else on offense.

I don't want to say Monte Kiffin was Wandsteadt because the Bills in 2012 had way more talent on that side & I'm still not sure the Cowboys D will hold up. But so far Marinelli has been a miracle worker.

I was just wondering if there is something to learn about the Cowboys sudden return to prominence?

The team has arguably less talent this year than last year (minus Demarcus Ware, Sean Lee etc.) and yet they just went into Seattle and knocked off the defending champions to improve their record to 5-1.

The Cowboys seem to be for real, much to my surprise. The question is, does it have to do with the fact that they stuck with Garret through the losing seasons which created a level of consistency? Or is there some other reason for their sudden success?

I know that I am personally getting fed up with Marrone (and was never sold on him from the start) but is there an argument to be made for keeping him to maintain some consistency if the Bills don't make the playoffs this year? I don't think he looks any worse that Garret did before this season. Garret arguable had more talent to work with. What say you? Maybe we should have kept Gailey longer?

Just thought it was an interesting opinion topic.

If not Garrett what about Marvin Lewis?

I had the same thought. The Bills seem to devalue interior line play, and what is this getting them? In contrast, Jerry Jones, that draft mastermind, picks G Zack Martin in the first round and he's now in the conversation for offensive ROY.

Link

Plus they drafted the year before an OT, Tryon Smith?, and they have Demarco Murray and Tony Romo. Pretty good Olinemen and skill players.

Agreed I also think it suggests a couple other points relevant to the Bills

1. A run based offense can work in today's NFL - same with Seahawks as well.

2. A good but not top 3-5 QB with the right supporting cast can make it work (at least in the regular season.). People have been saying for years they should get rid of Romo the "choke artist". He isn't a hall of famed but stability at QB allows them to spend picks elsewhere. You don't need greatness you just need good.

3. A drive sustaining offense high first down yards gained and high third down percent makes a bad defense look much better.

4. Stability despite mediocrity might payoff

Again depends on how the year turns out but they seem to be headed in the right direction.

Yup. The last 3 seasons. So all three of his failures are still better than anything this team has put together in a decade.

And behold, the reason why... Tony Romo. A QB far better then any we have had in the last decade, but not elite. Makes sense that they would be more competitive than us over the last three years but still not quite a playoff team.

NFL coaches are easily the most over rated aspect of a successful team. I mean nobody here believe that if we switched head coaches with the Patriots for the last three years that we would suddenly have more than one lone win against them right?