Fear of flying

Hey everyone,

So I have a huge fear of flying and in April my parents are flying my family out to Florida for a week.

The only reason I agreed to this is because they are paying for our airfare.

With that being said, even though its still a long time away, I am already feeling stressed.

Anyone know some good tips or links to stuff that can help ease my fear?

CBF

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I fly you couldnt drive a needle up my butt with a sledge hammer I'm so puckered. I immerse myself in crossword puzzles and try not to think about being 6 miles up at 600 mph.

One hour before the flight get out your blender: put in one banana, 10 ice cubes, 1 tsp chili powder, two anchovies, 1 cup Capt'n Crunch cereal, 3 green olives, 2 TBLS bacon grease, wring out one gym sock soaked in hot water, and 2 raw eggs. Blend on high for 30 seconds then whip for 1 minute. Pour into tall glass and garish with a PopTart. Drink it on the way to the airport.

It should take your mind off the flight.

One hour before the flight get out your blender: put in one banana, 10 ice cubes, 1 tsp chili powder, two anchovies, 1 cup Capt'n Crunch cereal, 3 green olives, 2 TBLS bacon grease, wring out one gym sock soaked in hot water, and 2 raw eggs. Blend on high for 30 seconds then whip for 1 minute. Pour into tall glass and garish with a PopTart. Drink it on the way to the airport.

It should take your mind off the flight.

LOL

At first I was thinking where would I get a blender at an airport but then after reading further I realized where you were going with it

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

Hey everyone,

So I have a huge fear of flying and in April my parents are flying my family out to Florida for a week.

The only reason I agreed to this is because they are paying for our airfare.

With that being said, even though its still a long time away, I am already feeling stressed.

Anyone know some good tips or links to stuff that can help ease my fear?

CBF

Take 2 Quaalude's (or Tylenol 222) and smoke a bong or 2 and chillax.

there's nothing bad about flying.it's only a few hours flying.

here's a hint. as soon as your row is seated. close your eyes and go to sleep.

or

you can drive the 27 hours from Hamilton

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Take 2 Quaalude's (or Tylenol 222) and smoke a bong or 2 and chillax.

there's nothing bad about flying.it's only a few hours flying.

here's a hint. as soon as your row is seated. close your eyes and go to sleep.

or

you can drive the 27 hours from Hamilton

Thought about it but I cant turn down 3 free airline tickets

CBF

Buffalo's own moe. with Plan Crash.

Up in the sky it's bird it's a plane

Yea it's a plane

I'm not afraid to fly im not afraid

Yea I guess I'm afraid

Fear is a good thing

It teaches us humility

And it can keep us sane

So I'll fly high if I have to

If I could I take the train

Verse 2:

Livin away from home on the road all the time

Ah, all the time

Driving up and down and back and forth

No reason or rhyme

Yea you guess right

Makes a grown man confront his fears

Consider options he'd normally decline

I'm gonna find my ticket to fly

I'm gonna fly

I'm gonna fly

Chorus:

Strap me in, tie me down

And roll me a bone

I'm gettin on an airplane

And I'm flying home

Strap me in, tie me down

I'm learning to fly

Drive across the country

I get too !@#$in high

(too !@#$in high) I don't wanna die

(too !@#$in high) too !@#$in high

(too !@#$in high) too !@#$in high

(too !@#$in high) Yea

Verse 3:

Fly me so high yea 20' 30 thousand

That's pretty high

When they take off my chest sinks

My ears pop I pray

I lie

I think about the network news to torture myself

And to pass the time

They tell me my seat cusion is a floatation device

Pray to God they ain't lying

I fly quite a bit, and takeoff is always tough for me. I really use to stress about turbulence, but did a ton of research on it and now understand it more. Still do not like it, but at least do not go into cold sweats anymore when we hit it.

Couple of strategies i have found useful not using chemistry

1) close the window..i dont know why but it helps me

2) I like to use flightaware to track the flight path before we leave. If there is weather ahead, and i know we going to bump a bit, at least i know why .

3) having said that, sometimes i see the weather ahead, get nervous, and we never even hit a little bump.

4) the noise cancelling headphones are God sends...i used to freak over every little change in engine, or squeak...just much easier this way.

5) As Chef said, do some research. Emotionally, i am still stressed, but my logical mind takes over and i know WAY safer than driving.

Now, if not an early AM flight, i also always have a few beers before i get on, and some airplane bottles at the ready if my nerves get a bit jagged in a storm or something.

For a while, i was taking a Zanax, but research, research, research, got me over the hump.Zanax plus two beers wiped me out for a long time, didn't like that feeling.

Chem

Couple things happened to me right after 9/11. First shortly after takeoff (I mean less than a minute) three guys in different rows all got up at the same time and got something out of the overhead bin. Thought we were goners for sure. Second during takeoff an overhead bin popped open. I guy gets up and slams it shut. Had I not watched him to it and only heard it I would have been certain that an engine blew up on us. Oh BTW that did happen to us once on takeoff.

Is all this helping CBF??

Edited by Chef Jim

I don't love flyinig, but it is more the comfort thing (I am a big-dude) than a fear thing. This may not be practical advice, but it works for me: I get very little sleep the night before I fly. I am almost always able to fall asleep on the plane... if you can't do that, bring a good book... don't think about the flight, just the book.

I used to be pretty petrified of flying. To the point where I would start to worry people around me.

You can go to a doctor and get some Xanax or something like I did. A couple beers at the airport lounge, Xanax, and then a Jack and Coke after the plane takes off... you will wake up in Florida drooling on yourself. The cost though is you will be messed up for a little bit... if not, just drink some liquid courage.

Its the kind of thing, the more you do it, the more you get used to it. Its such an unnatural seeming thing, humans being that high up, going at that velocity. Planes are made to be in the air though. You also have to play the odds in your head. Look at one of those current maps that show all the planes in the air at any given moment. Its a huge number and they all make it safe.

I found I have trouble reading and watching things on a plane due to anxiety, but good music on headphones with the eyes closed is good. If you like video games, I have been able to get lost in those.

Also, front of the plane typically has a bit less sway than the back. Wings arent too bad, but you may get a little more noise/vibration

Try closing the window. Especially on takeoff.

Bumps, noises, etc, look at people around you. Most of them fly a lot. They wont look phased. Puts me at ease.

In a previous life I used to fly all the time, and while flying is not big deal to me, I found that it was MUCH more enjoyable when I got my Bose noise reduction headset. I don't recommend you buying them since you never fly, but ask around if someone has a set you can borrow. Load an ipod with music, grab a book you've been meaning to read, and settle in. Make sure you have no reason to get up during the flight. It'll be over before you know it.

Note: there are plenty of so-called noise reduction headphones out there. I've tried most of them. Bose continues to kick everyone's ass.

http://youtu.be/GYALKcapKN0

Note: there are plenty of so-called noise reduction headphones out there. I've tried most of them. Bose continues to kick everyone's ass.

I picked up a pair of noise isolation earbuds for $10, figured what the hell, they're cheap enough that I don't care if I just throw them away. They were better than my off brand noise cancelling headphones.

What is it about flying that scares you?

I would say to use the distraction method. Read, do a puzzle, listen to music, play a game, whatever.

It also might help to research how unlikely it is that anything bad is going to happen to you or your flight. If you're a common sense kinda guy that could make a big difference.

having a fear of flying is completely understandable, but it's not nearly as scary as you might think. I have an intense fear of heights, but flying doesn't bother me... I think because you're so high up that you lose the perceived perspective of height (unless you intentionally dwell on it). despite having flown many (many) times before, I decided to ask my doctor for something to relieve anxiety before my recent trip to Ireland, since turbulence over the atlantic on a prior trip to Madrid kind of freaked me out. I usually don't take stuff like that, but he gave me a prescription for Xanax. it worked like a charm without a drop of alcohol, in fact it took three attempts before I was able to watch the new Godzilla movie all the way through.

as others have already mentioned, the noises of the plane (most of which I believe is just hydraulics for steering/control and the stowing/deployment of the landing gear) can be a bit unnerving if you're not used to it. turbulence can potentially freak you out, but plenzmd1's advice is good - research. all turbulence really is is just the plane moving into areas of varying air pressure or crossing something like a jet stream. it sounds and feels like you're in a Greyhound bus hauling down an old dirt road, but it's nothing to worry about.

just do what I do: watch the way the crew behaves. if they're smiling, relaxed, and not batting an eye, then everything's okay.