Spiller trade talk is absurd

He has been completely misused by Hackett. CJ needs the ball in space where he can use moves and breakaway speed. It's that simple. The Freddy worship is over the top. Fred is not a threat to score from anywhere on the field. Both backs have unique gifts and if we had an offensive cooridinator he would exploit them.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has been completely misused by Hackett. CJ needs the ball in space where he can use moves and breakaway speed. It's that simple. The Freddy worship is over the top. Fred is not a threat to score from anywhere on the field. Both backs have unique gifts and if we had an offensive cooridinator he would exploit them.

Spiller non trade talk is Absurd. He is a part time weapon, he is nothing more than Percy Harvin. If I were HC or OC he would do kickoff returns and be a WR on special plays for him and 3rd downs or multiple WR formations, NOT our starting RB.

Trade him and get something for him.

Spiller non trade talk is Absurd. He is a part time weapon, he is nothing more than Percy Harvin. If I were HC or OC he would do kickoff returns and be a WR on special plays for him and 3rd downs or multiple WR formations, NOT our starting RB.

Trade him and get something for him.

Oh dear

I'm a pretty well-documented Spiller supporter. I think I've found a way to express what I believe would be an acceptable end-game as it relates to Spiller's continued tenure in Buffalo.

What is Spiller?

The Good

Spiller is a playmaker. He has good hands. He is fast. He is low-maintenance. He keeps his nose clean and works hard. He's averaged over 1,000 yards over the past two seasons. He's always a threat to bust out a 40+ yard run. He has been #2 in the NFL for running plays over 20 yards for the past two seasons.

The Bad

Spiller lacks stamina. He can't block. He can't make his own holes. He is ineffective in the red zone. Most of his carries are less than 4 yards.

The Stuff Outside of His Control

Hackett is not using him like a Sproles-type player. Hackett continues to run him up the gut. He's not targeted on enough pass plays.

The Solution

He should not be paid the same money as a primary running back.

He should be a situational weapon and a special teams weapon (like Hester, as someone stated earlier).

Offer him a contract that will pay him as such. NOT as a featured RB.

If he walks, so be it.

I'm a pretty well-documented Spiller supporter. I think I've found a way to express what I believe would be an acceptable end-game as it relates to Spiller's continued tenure in Buffalo.

What is Spiller?

The Good

Spiller is a playmaker. He has good hands. He is fast. He is low-maintenance. He keeps his nose clean and works hard. He's averaged over 1,000 yards over the past two seasons. He's always a threat to bust out a 40+ yard run. He has been #2 in the NFL for running plays over 20 yards for the past two seasons.

The Bad

Spiller lacks stamina. He can't block. He can't make his own holes. He is ineffective in the red zone. Most of his carries are less than 4 yards.

The Stuff Outside of His Control

Hackett is not using him like a Sproles-type player. Hackett continues to run him up the gut. He's not targeted on enough pass plays.

The Solution

He should not be paid the same money as a primary running back.

He should be a situational weapon and a special teams weapon (like Hester, as someone stated earlier).

Offer him a contract that will pay him as such. NOT as a featured RB.

If he walks, so be it.

You hit the nail on the head sir, bravo. Whatever we get out of a trade for him will be minimal, being a age 27 soon to be age 28 running back with a spotty track record. I'd be more comfortable attempting to work out a reasonable contract (4 years 12-16-18 M) and acceptable signing bonus for both sides. Premier NFL running backs have had their values diminished greatly the past 2-3 years, and a running back like CJ Spiller (can we all agree at least average?) will not command as much money as them on the open market.

However, as we all know, it takes two to tango, and Spiller may be inclined to find a team that would leverage his skill set better than the buffoons in the Buffalo the last 5 years. Even with that being said, I still agree with Gugny, let this one play out and if he walks, so be it.

They sat EJ for not performing well, they should do the same to CJ and give Bryce Brown a chance. How come Fred can get positive yardage despite Hackett but CJ can't?

True. But you've got a Corvette and a SUV. One can go off-road, one can't. One is meant to go through puddles and run into objects, the other isn't.

I get frustrated when he looks to bounce things outside, but the truth is, he doesn't do it that often anymore. Our run block has been horrible this year, Freddy's just able to make a bit more something out of nothing.

I've always liked Spiller. But all this "they're not using him right" crap is getting old. If he was as great as people want to make him out to be, he'd find a way to make plays. You don't hear people complaining that guys like Forte, Lynch, Foster, Le'vian Bell, Murray, Gore, Freddie, Lacy, or McCoy "aren't being used right." They're getting their yards one way or another because they're good RBs. Some are elusive, some plow right through people, but they all find ways to be more productive than CJ Spiller.

So CJ shows some elusiveness sometimes when he's got a lot of space. So what? How often is there a lot of space between someone with the ball and at least one defender in the NFL? He can't break tackles, he's bad at bouncing away from contact, and he's bad at hitting holes. It's almost like it takes a split-up from a defense for CJ to make a big play.

Unless he can vastly improve how he's playing now I'd be fine with the Bills trading him for something we need more, like a good guard, a high draft pick, or an upgrade at TE. I would feel no less confident in our run game if it was Jackson, Dixon and Brown. And to be honest I'd rather see Dixon and Brown get more opportunities.

trade him while he's worth something! as the OP said, he's being misused so what good is he to us unless we get a new OC? trade him for a 2nd round pick to a team that needs a RB! SD perhaps?

Would a 2nd round pick be the absolute lowest you would accept for him? If so, nobody in the NFL will burn a second for an age 27/28 running back in 2014. Considering Sankey at 54 was the first player taken, why wouldn't a team just pick their own guy, especially knowing CJ's spotty track record?

In fact, the highest RB trade value we've seen in the past couple years was Bryce Brown, and even then Bryce is a 23 year old running back with very minimal wear and tear on him from both college and the pros. I can't see the Bills getting anything higher than a 4/5, and I'd rather take my chances like Gungy said: throw an acceptable number at him, if he doesn't sign, let the chips fall where they may.

Edited by TheLynchTrain

Would a 2nd round pick be the absolute lowest you would accept for him? If so, nobody in the NFL will burn a second for an age 27/28 running back in 2014. Considering Sankey at 54 was the first player taken, why wouldn't a team just pick their own guy, especially knowing CJ's spotty track record?

In fact, the highest RB trade value we've seen in the past couple years was Bryce Brown, and even then Bryce is a 23 year old running back with very minimal wear and tear on him from both college and the pros. I can't see the Bills getting anything higher than a 4/5, and I'd rather take my chances like Gungy said: throw an acceptable number at him, if he doesn't sign, let the chips fall where they may.

the colts gave up a 1st for Trent Richardson. i'd take a 3rd for CJ. a team that is desperate for a RB that is making a run at the Super Bowl (San Diego comes to mind) might be crazy enough to do it

Thurman's thoughts on Spiller and Hackett: http://www.buffalobi...6f-01c2f2b7e1d1

It's pretty funny how flabbergasted he sounds at how CJ is being used.

I, for one, am SO SICK of hearing what Thurman, Andre and Kelly have to say about anyone on the current roster.

It's not !@#$ing 1990. You're no longer relevant. The game is ENTIRELY different and so is the team.

Rant over.