Spiller trade talk is absurd

I find it absolutely fascinating that the keyboard jockeys on this board are so confident that they know more about running the football than Thurman. Some of these same guys have also have been critical about the guards. Oh well.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I take it there's not much enthusiasm for the idea of having CJ return punts.

Punt returning is about decision making more than return ability. I doubt Spiller's ability to make good decisions. More than I doubt Leo's? I don't know. But just because a guy is shifty and fast doesn't make him a guy you trust on punt returns.

Let's just say there was a reason Freddy was back there when Leo couldn't be, and not Spiller

I find it absolutely fascinating that the keyboard jockeys on this board are so confident that they know more about running the football than Thurman. Some of these same guys have also have been critical about the guards. Oh well.

Yes. All good players are great at evaluating talent, and their knowledge of the game is unrivaled. That's why all great coaches, GM's and talent personnel are HoF players.

Edited by FireChan

Punt returning is about decision making more than return ability. I doubt Spiller's ability to make good decisions. More than I doubt Leo's? I don't know. But just because a guy is shifty and fast doesn't make him a guy you trust on punt returns.

Let's just say there was a reason Freddy was back there when Leo couldn't be, and not Spiller

Yes. All good players are great at evaluating talent, and their knowledge of the game is unrivaled. That's why all great coaches, GM's and talent personnel are HoF players.

I have a feeling that someone who knows what it is like to run the ball in the NFL may just know a little more than you about doing just that.

I realize that there are people here who are haters - just like there have been for other players. Whatever. Believe what you want. There is nothing that I am going to say - and apparently nothing that Thurman may say - about running the football in the NFL that will convince you and others.

I have a feeling that someone who knows what it is like to run the ball in the NFL may just know a little more than you about doing just that.

I realize that there are people here who are haters - just like there have been for other players. Whatever. Believe what you want. There is nothing that I am going to say - and apparently nothing that Thurman may say - about running the football in the NFL that will convince you and others.

Flutie thinks EJ should run more.

Flutie thinks EJ should run more.

So snappy. Do I need to post that photo of Flutie with Jon Bon Jovi again? We all know he is full of BS (don't worry I know you were being sarcastic).

Again, believe what you want to believe. Better yet, you may want to submit your resume to the Bills.

Here is a photo I am sure you will like.

http://www.buffalobi...43-21ebb216177f

Edited by Peter

So snappy. Do I need to post that photo of Flutie with Jon Bon Jovi again? We all know he is full of BS (don't worry I know you were being sarcastic).

Again, believe what you want to believe. Better yet, you may want to submit your resume to the Bills.

I'll submit mine when Thurman gets hired as an RB coach.

I'll submit mine when Thurman gets hired as an RB coach.

On his resume, he will have Hall of Fame running back. On your resume, you will have keyboard jockey on Two Bills Drive. I wonder who will get the interview.

Also this is Spiller's last year under contract. You would be lucky to get a 5th round pick for him. The trade market for him is probably a 6th or 7th round selection. Now you might take a 6th to give Bryce Brown more playing time but if you are talking about trading Spiller just know your getting a late round pick.

I don't understand why the OC is so stubborn in his usasge of Spiller. Ted Marchiboda developed an offense in which Thurman Thomas was a multi-faceted back. Not only was he a tremendous runner who read the blocks as well as any runner but he was also smartly used as a receiver, mostly short passes in open areas and with swing passes, where he would make the right cut and get maximum yardage on the play.

Thurman Thomas was an exceptional pass blocker, something CJ will never be. Thurman Thomas was one of the smartest backs in the game as far as reading the blocks, something CJ will never match. However, CJ has attributes associated with his speed and quickness that are not now being fully used.

My problem with the critics of CJ is that they focus on things he doesn't do well while not acknowledging to the extent they should the things he does exceptionally well. Since CJ has been on the team no player has come close to making the number of big plays for this team.

I love how everyone says a certain running back needs to play "in space"

Everyone said that about Roscoe Parrish, and all the other hundreds of skill guys in the NFL with speed.

I agree that Chan was a better offensive play caller than Hackett, (and the best game coach we've ever had in terms of handling time outs, challenges, 2 minute drills, etc), but in the NFL it's simply not possible to get people "in space" unless they create it for themselves with vision, blocking and burst. CJ has great burst, jukes without losing speed (his best attribute), but doesn't have great vision and unfortunately has sub par blocking.

Frankly I'd rather see them deal CJ because he's going to go somewhere else. We wont overpay for the guy but someone will. Happened with Byrd, Levitre, Clements, Winfield, etc. Go get a damn guard or future pick

I love how everyone says a certain running back needs to play "in space"

Everyone said that about Roscoe Parrish, and all the other hundreds of skill guys in the NFL with speed.

I agree that Chan was a better offensive play caller than Hackett, (and the best game coach we've ever had in terms of handling time outs, challenges, 2 minute drills, etc), but in the NFL it's simply not possible to get people "in space" unless they create it for themselves with vision, blocking and burst. CJ has great burst, jukes without losing speed (his best attribute), but doesn't have great vision and unfortunately has sub par blocking.

Frankly I'd rather see them deal CJ because he's going to go somewhere else. We wont overpay for the guy but someone will. Happened with Byrd, Levitre, Clements, Winfield, etc. Go get a damn guard or future pick

One way for CJ to play in space is to use him in the passing game, mostly short routes. That rarely happens.

According to Whaley he wants to re-sign Spiller. As far as not spending too much on him that is an issue that applies to every player whose contract is up.

He has been completely misused by Hackett. CJ needs the ball in space where he can use moves and breakaway speed. It's that simple. The Freddy worship is over the top. Fred is not a threat to score from anywhere on the field. Both backs have unique gifts and if we had an offensive cooridinator he would exploit them.

Now you are way out of line. The fred worship is warranted. The dude just cracked 1000 yards in 2009 and is averaging 40 yards per game and 0 tds this year. Get a grip man.

Spiller non trade talk is Absurd. He is a part time weapon, he is nothing more than Percy Harvin. If I were HC or OC he would do kickoff returns and be a WR on special plays for him and 3rd downs or multiple WR formations, NOT our starting RB.

Trade him and get something for him.

Percy Harvin is pretty damn good football player...so you missed the mark with your newest crusade.

Whaley is already talking to his agent and its obvious what will happen IMO. We will offer the number based on his production ( on a 5 tier rating system something like 3.5 or basically above average but not workhorse allpro potential money). They will think he's worth more and we probably would let him walk. I also think its not his fault, that would be our Oline and more specifically the guard positions. With two better guards on the team this thread doesn't exist. There is a reason we brought in Bryce Brown folks and that reason was to push Spiller to perform to expectations or replace him if he doesn't meet expectations and allow him to walk. While I do think this is what will happen, I really want to keep Spiller on the team. He could be a great third down back and I wish they would use CJ and Fred the complete opposite of how they do now. For the record I don't think Fred has more than 1 or 2 years left and I also think that Fred is better with CJ in tandem.