Spiller trade talk is absurd

I, for one, am SO SICK of hearing what Thurman, Andre and Kelly have to say about anyone on the current roster.

It's not !@#$ing 1990. You're no longer relevant. The game is ENTIRELY different and so is the team.

Rant over.

Flutie thinks EJ should run more.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiller Trade talk is absurd because we couldn't get a 7th for Spiller right now.

He is not under contract next year and he has 1 season where he looked like a RB that could handle 20 carries a game.

If you think the Bills could get anything for Spiller in a trade in the NFL you haven't been paying attention to the declined value of RBs in the NFL and the inability of Spiller to consistently move the ball.

The 2014 Bills need him on the roster for a playoff push much more than a 2015 7th round pick.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I, for one, am SO SICK of hearing what Thurman, Andre and Kelly have to say about anyone on the current roster.

It's not !@#$ing 1990. You're no longer relevant. The game is ENTIRELY different and so is the team.

Rant over.

I love it. But, not exactly for their strategic input (whether accurate or not). I love it because they watch the Bills and care about what is happening. A lot of beloved players go on to not give a crap about their teams, which I can understand to a degree, but it's gratifying as a fan to see our greats love the team like we do.

Spiller trade talk is absurd

It's actually not absurd considering he's most likely a FA after this season. If the Bills have no plans to re-sign or are trying but cannot reach mutually agreeable terms, then they have to seriously consider trading him. It's as simple as that, no need to discuss numbers or usage...What they can get for him is the question...

Edited by ricojes

I don't understand the final year of his contract:

2015: $2,196,663 (Player Option), 2016: Free Agent

Does that mean that he can choose to stay in Buffalo next year for $2,196,663 ?

I don't understand the final year of his contract:

2015: $2,196,663 (Player Option), 2016: Free Agent

Does that mean that he can choose to stay in Buffalo next year for $2,196,663 ?

Correct. Technically he is signed through next year, but CJ can opt out of his current contract, which he will most likely do.

Edited by ricojes

It's actually not absurd considering he's most likely a FA after this season. If the Bills have no plans to re-sign or are trying but cannot reach mutually agreeable terms, then they have to seriously consider trading him. It's as simple as that, no need to discuss numbers or usage...What they can get for him is the question...

A sack of footballs?

They sat EJ for not performing well, they should do the same to CJ and give Bryce Brown a chance. How come Fred can get positive yardage despite Hackett but CJ can't?

+ 1 Bingo. Why not!!!

He has been completely misused by Hackett. CJ needs the ball in space where he can use moves and breakaway speed. It's that simple. The Freddy worship is over the top. Fred is not a threat to score from anywhere on the field. Both backs have unique gifts and if we had an offensive cooridinator he would exploit them.

Unfortunately there is a defense out there trying to prevent him from getting the ball in space....

A sack of footballs?

You never know, Jacksonville would give a 4 at least IMO. Maybe even the Saints, he might be very productive in that offense. It's unlikely a trade of any kind will happen, but I am sure there are teams that would consider it...

the colts gave up a 1st for Trent Richardson. i'd take a 3rd for CJ. a team that is desperate for a RB that is making a run at the Super Bowl (San Diego comes to mind) might be crazy enough to do it

Forgot about that one, you are correct. However, Richardson was a 23 year old 1000 yard rookie, 20 months removed from being the third overall pick with only 18 games under his belt. I think the way that deal turned out 12 months later will sour teams even more for trading high picks for RBs.

Even if we're talking about a 3rd, do you really think a team will give that up??? I'd take a 3rd but I don't think any team is in the business of trading a draft pick like that for a 27/28 year old RB.

Correct. Technically he is signed through next year, but CJ can opt out of his current contract, which he will most likely do.

I believe he already opted out in the spring, but I could be wrong.

He has been completely misused by Hackett. CJ needs the ball in space where he can use moves and breakaway speed. It's that simple. The Freddy worship is over the top. Fred is not a threat to score from anywhere on the field. Both backs have unique gifts and if we had an offensive cooridinator he would exploit them.

I looked all through this thread and did not see this suggestion: Have CJ return punts! Why not? Leodis is not as explosive as he used to be. Kickoff returns are few and far between. Why not give CJ the ball in space 4-5 times a game by letting him return punts?

I've always liked Spiller. But all this "they're not using him right" crap is getting old. If he was as great as people want to make him out to be, he'd find a way to make plays. You don't hear people complaining that guys like Forte, Lynch, Foster, Le'vian Bell, Murray, Gore, Freddie, Lacy, or McCoy "aren't being used right." They're getting their yards one way or another because they're good RBs. Some are elusive, some plow right through people, but they all find ways to be more productive than CJ Spiller.

So CJ shows some elusiveness sometimes when he's got a lot of space. So what? How often is there a lot of space between someone with the ball and at least one defender in the NFL? He can't break tackles, he's bad at bouncing away from contact, and he's bad at hitting holes. It's almost like it takes a split-up from a defense for CJ to make a big play.

Unless he can vastly improve how he's playing now I'd be fine with the Bills trading him for something we need more, like a good guard, a high draft pick, or an upgrade at TE. I would feel no less confident in our run game if it was Jackson, Dixon and Brown. And to be honest I'd rather see Dixon and Brown get more opportunities.

The point is, no one is saying Spiller is as good as forte, lynch, foster, bell etc.

Those of us who think he is worth hanging on to (at a reasonable price) envision him being used like Sproles, a player who has very similar skill yet (I think CJ has more talent as a true running back than Sproles though)....the problem is, we aren't using him like Sproles, we're trying to use him like the aforementioned guys - meaning, we think the problem isn't necessarily spiller, it's how we are attempting to use him

The point is, no one is saying Spiller is as good as forte, lynch, foster, bell etc.

Those of us who think he is worth hanging on to (at a reasonable price) envision him being used like Sproles, a player who has very similar skill yet (I think CJ has more talent as a true running back than Sproles though)....the problem is, we aren't using him like Sproles, we're trying to use him like the aforementioned guys - meaning, we think the problem isn't necessarily spiller, it's how we are attempting to use him

I'm not saying it's bad to have a guy like Spiller around, but if they can trade him for something that would help the team out more than having him around I'd be happy for the trade. I think a good guard or an upgrade at TE would benefit us more than having Spiller in there instead of Dixon or Brown.

Thank you. If he rips two 50 yard TDs the next two weeks some here will talk MVP. Fandom is often absurd and trading a weapon like Spiller is to.

so what your saying is you support a player that doesn't do anything for 10-12 quarters then rips off a 50 yard run? Good to know.