John Rzeznik to sing the National anthem

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol. i remember when the goos were considered a solid up and coming local punk band. it's amazing how their image and reputation changed over the years. their early stuff is still pretty good to my ears and some of their poppier stuff (up to and including "a boy named goo") isn't bad .

You're either for them or against them and if your agaisnt them you're for Bon Jovi. That's how I look at it.

LMAO. Yep. That's how I see it too!

Deano, recant now or forever be with the enemy!

Signed,

The Bills Inquisition

PS: Don't make us use the pit and the pendulum on you! ;-)

The first few albums were great...however live, Goo Goo Dolls blow big chunks!

Wow... Ha! What a tough crew of fans we have here! LoL...

I know not the Goos but haven't we ever heard:

"...I know no matter what the waitress brings

I shall drink in and always be full, yeah I will drink in and always be full..."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I find hating the Goo Goo Dolls funny. They rep Buffalo to the fullest and became a pretty big mainstream act. Good for them and I got a few of their songs on my Iphone. And if you want good makeout music, Name is not a bad song.

I honestly thought they were a hometown favorite. Guess I was wrong. And yes, Girls my age (Mid 20's) love the goo goo dolls and if the girls love them, then Ill play them on repeat. Thats how you play the game gentlemen.

lol. i remember when the goos were considered a solid up and coming local punk band. it's amazing how their image and reputation changed over the years. their early stuff is still pretty good to my ears and some of their poppier stuff (up to and including "a boy named goo") isn't bad .

There was a time when they were a really great band. Right up through "Superstar Carwash", which, coincidentally, was produced by the great Paul Westerberg. They were a critical success, but not a financial success. I remember, not long after, when they started having some mainstream success with some insipid power ballad type song from a movie soundtrack, there was a little one-off interview with Rzeznik in, I think, Rolling Stone.

He pretty much said, in no uncertain terms, that he was conscious of the fact that the band was "selling out", and had come to personal terms with it. His justification, which is more common sense than it is "so rock-n' roll" was, essentially saying they had been at it for a long time, all the guys were married and having children...they were getting too old, and had too many responsibilities to be doing club tours all over the US, sleeping in Roadway Inn's, or on somebodys couch in every city...Rzeznik said growing up, making music was his chosen career (I used to buy pot from the bass player, in college!)...the band had all talked about hanging it up, and trying to get "real jobs", but he felt like even then, he was a trained "rock star" of no success...it was his trade, like an electrician or plummer. So when corporations like the NFL (and so many others) were waiving huge money in their faces to perform at corporate events, and to record, essentially, anthems for product, he considered it his responsibiltiy to his family to cast aside his aversions to those kind of things, and do what was best for his family.

I am not making excuses for them at all, and I haven't purcahsed one of their records in close to 25 years, but I was just struck by how honest he was about the whole thing..and while I think the new music "blows chunks", I have been around great, struggling musicians my whole life...I can't really knock them for going for the money when it is offered. I don't like their music any more, but I have a certain amount of respect...As the Forgotten Rebels used to sing..."Rock-n' Roll's A Hard Life".

There was a time when they were a really great band. Right up through "Superstar Carwash", which, coincidentally, was produced by the great Paul Westerberg. They were a critical success, but not a financial success. I remember, not long after, when they started having some mainstream success with some insipid power ballad type song from a movie soundtrack, there was a little one-off interview with Rzeznik in, I think, Rolling Stone.

He pretty much said, in no uncertain terms, that he was conscious of the fact that the band was "selling out", and had come to personal terms with it. His justification, which is more common sense than it is "so rock-n' roll" was, essentially saying they had been at it for a long time, all the guys were married and having children...they were getting too old, and had too many responsibilities to be doing club tours all over the US, sleeping in Roadway Inn's, or on somebodys couch in every city...Rzeznik said growing up, making music was his chosen career (I used to buy pot from the bass player, in college!)...the band had all talked about hanging it up, and trying to get "real jobs", but he felt like even then, he was a trained "rock star" of no success...it was his trade, like an electrician or plummer. So when corporations like the NFL (and so many others) were waiving huge money in their faces to perform at corporate events, and to record, essentially, anthems for product, he considered it his responsibiltiy to his family to cast aside his aversions to those kind of things, and do what was best for his family.

I am not making excuses for them at all, and I haven't purcahsed one of their records in close to 25 years, but I was just struck by how honest he was about the whole thing..and while I think the new music "blows chunks", I have been around great, struggling musicians my whole life...I can't really knock them for going for the money when it is offered. I don't like their music any more, but I have a certain amount of respect...As the Forgotten Rebels used to sing..."Rock-n' Roll's A Hard Life".

Nice summary and I didn't know all that. Artists can't win sometimes. When you "keep it real," you struggle to keep the lights on. When you became popular and make money, you are selling out.

I saw a Coming Home thing on the Goo Goo Dolls a long time ago. They went around with a camera crew and talked about Buffalo. I think Johnny's parents died while he was young. But he was in front of the Buffalo River in South Buffalo and said that most people think it is the ugliest thing ever. But he said it was one of his favorite places in the world. That always stuck with me. I will support anyone who is putting Buffalo in a good light.

Yep, and Robbie is a great, great guy. So is George (the original drummer). I bear them no ill will despite the fact that they decided to crank out dreck. The only album I think holds up is - ironically - "Hold Me Up" ( http://www.allmusic....up-mw0000310734 ), but one good album is better than no good albums (which is what most bands have). Nice Forgotten Rebels reference!

Edited by dave mcbride

I wonder if the guys in the GooGoo Dolls, the guys that used to work and play at the Continental , would ever buy or even listen to the music that is released by "The GooGoo Dolls"...I'm gonna say "no".

...And then they roll over counting their millions of dollars and say, worth it..

...And then they roll over counting their millions of dollars and say, worth it..

I have a ton of respect for the guys! It's the taste of people that LIKE the music they release that I question. It's schlock. The band admits as much.

They are a real band of guys that got into a Van and worked their a***** off , as opposed to some group put together by a management team or some such nonsense.

Nice post! I wanted to touch on some of this stuff in OTW and The Replacements thread... Branching off on how they fit in with the "rock star status." But i didn't have the energy.

Again... Thanks for the post.