One screen shot displaying why Orton is a better option right now

Bocephuz

Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with the win now Orton philosophy. But to say EJ didn't stand in the pocket and deliver throws is inaccurate. And to criticize his decision making is suspect too, espeically when it was Orton who served up the pick six.

EJ simply couldn't hit wide open guys when he made the correct read. Nobody knows if that can get better. The consensus on this board is that it can not and I would have to believe that is true as well.

Loosk like we can all agree Pears sucks at guard though!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The WR is, but unfortunately the RG has inexplicably allowed a DL a clear line to Orton, who has to get the ball out quick. Sooner as opposed to later I hope this staff figures out how to use Spiller correctly and that Eric Pears, who is teetering on the brink of Colin Brown-dom, has to be replaced. I think Marrone could ask his wife to borrow the dishwasher, roll that on the field, and get better results.

there are times he could simply lay down and atleast the defender would have to jump over him. it seems there are frequently just straight shot clear paths through where the guards should be.

That screen shot also shows why Pears doesn't belong at guard. Does Marrone watch any film?

Don't tell Turbo that. He is blind to visual evidence of Pears' ineptitude and believes anyone who criticizes him is just a fan looking to rage. Pears is awful and has consistently been the worst lineman on the field in the first 5 games. The sooner he's gone, the better off the Bills will be.

Look how open the WR is just past the 30.

Which is a much harder and lower-percentage throw with a DL bearing down on the QB then the one he completed, which was a very high percentage throw, if the decision was made quick. Move the chains.

kj

Don't tell Turbo that. He is blind to visual evidence of Pears' ineptitude and believes anyone who criticizes him is just a fan looking to rage. Pears is awful and has consistently been the worst lineman on the field in the first 5 games. The sooner he's gone, the better off the Bills will be.

Help is on the way - Bills sign G William Campbell to PS.

How about this screen shot. Look at where Goodwin is when Orton throws the ball to him.

This is from the twitter account of @yardsperpass btw. A good account to follow for Bills stuff

Another thing I didn't realize at the time, was that was a 3rd and 10 play...ballsy to make a call and such a throw given the point in the game this throw and catch was made...and that throw was incredible! But the catch was also fantastic.

How about this screen shot. Look at where Goodwin is when Orton throws the ball to him.

This is from the twitter account of @yardsperpass btw. A good account to follow for Bills stuff

That's awesome, thanks for sharing.

Thats Goodwin. If he's even he's leavin'. Safety is back there but oddly close to the middle for a cover two. Wonder if he was looked off of the expected a run???

If the safety had cheated outside, there would have been a thrown up the middle to the WR under the blue line (can't make out who it is). Good play for the coverage.

Must have missed the part where the OP said Orton was HOF bound or even a top QB in the league. Thought OP simply meant he's clearly better than EJ, which is plainly obvious.

In starting this thread all I am saying is that Orton consistently makes this kind of throw at this stage in his career and that EJ does not.

Edited by Bocephuz

LOL Pears is still playing tackle (mentally and physically).

I'm not an OL expert but don't you protect from the inside out when the QB's in the pocket?

This is the issue plain and simple. You cannot root out over a decade of playing OT in a few training camp practices. OTs are natural edge blockers, and thus lock onto the outermost defender to ride him out of the play. OGs need to be able to squeeze together, redirect, and exchange/pass across the face on stunts. Pears is playing OG like an OT, and it's exacerbating his lack of a natural guard's body type.

I think Richardson will get better and be a passable starting guard in this league for a while. The other guard spot needs work--I'm hoping for a mid-tier guy like Clint Boling in free agency.

Thats Goodwin. If he's even he's leavin'.

Safety is back there but oddly close to the middle for a cover two. Wonder if he was looked off of the expected a run???

Curious, How do you know? Have you seen another screen shot? I'd suspect he's got the deep ball covered, since Orton is already looking to that side of the field?

If the safety had cheated outside, there would have been a thrown up the middle to the WR under the blue line (can't make out who it is). Good play for the coverage.

I haven't re-watched the entire play, but I think Orton either looked down the middle or even gave a partial pump fake before resetting and firing to Goodwin.