Bills are #1 Rush D

TPS

these rankings don't mean much. the only ranking that matters is wins and losses. we have 3 of one and 2 of the other. the rest doesn't matter much in todays NFL. turnover ratio and starter games lost to injury is probably the best stat to look at there is. turn the ball over 4 times and give up less than100 rushing and you lose every time.

5th (best) in turnovers given up

5th (best) in turnovers caused

1st in overall turnover ratio

We lost two games because of our offense, our defense has been doing it's job, mostly.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5th (best) in turnovers given up

5th (best) in turnovers caused

1st in overall turnover ratio

We lost two games because of our offense, our defense has been doing it's job, mostly.

yep. keep those stats up all year and we are probably 10-6. basically do what KC did last year. In addition the 'only' way to keep those stats going is to have roster stability (meaning low injury rate) so they both work together.... turnovers lose games. serious injury rate loses seasons. from scrimmage i believe 80-90% of NFL teams basically are equal ... the difference is relative number of offensive possessions you have (which swings on the turnover ratio ) and average drive start (swings most wildly based on the same turnover ratio stat).

these are boring stats that the media doesn't focus on but short fields on offense and turnover stops on D drive everything in-game -- hence the huge coaching emphasis on ball security, blah blah.. The game win rate with a pick 6 (turnover plus drive start on other teams goal line !!) is something like 80-90% (great example of all this stuff: our KC game last year -- QB injuries led to Tuel which, while he did OK, still led to game losing pick 6 that a better QB never throws). We were the 10-20% yesterday, but you get the gist.....

Edited by 8and8Forever

It's not "odd". It's our defensive guys flying all over the place crushing bitches.

That's one guy, Moreno. Matthews, Foster , and whoever starts for Detroit were banged up or on the shelf already prior to facing the Bills. That is a fortuitous run of consecutive teams with injury issues at RB, and odd this early in the season. It's a bit early to annoint this D as the second coming of the 2000 Ravens. We'll know more about where they really stand around 4:15 pm Sunday.

No dude, you are wrong. The Bills are #1 in yards allowed per game on the ground. When people say #1 against the run, that's what they mean. Look again sir. They are 8th overall, 2nd in YPC against, tied for 1st in sacks, 5th in points allowed per game- which would be higher if their offense hadn't given up 16 points- tied for 4th in turnovers and tied for 1st in +/-. There is no spinning anything. The Bills are an elite defense right now however you look at it.

They are also #1 in 3rd stop percentage.

That's one guy, Moreno. Matthews, Foster , and whoever starts for Detroit were banged up or on the shelf already prior to facing the Bills. That is a fortuitous run of consecutive teams with injury issues at RB, and odd this early in the season. It's a bit early to annoint this D as the second coming of the 2000 Ravens. We'll know more about where they really stand around 4:15 pm Sunday.

woodhead also got hurt against the Bills Edited by YoloinOhio

thanks, but I'll focus on the Wins and Losses.

all the rest is moot. as a safety can win a game.

2013 the Bills had 57 sacks and 23 INT's

6-9 is what it got them.

I guarantee they didn't finish 6-9. And disagree wins and losses can be managed by improving the means of how to improve wins....like defense....stopping the run....and stopping the opposition on 3 rd down....all have improved greatly and thusly will improve our win loss record. And it is improving our win loss record already. Go Bills!!!

The best stat for rush defense is yards per carry. We are at 3 yards/ carry (slightly behind Seattle at 2.8). That is outstanding.

Outstanding indeed! And YPC is the best gauge in my mind. As for Kiko against the run, he may have over run the play a few times, but has WAS third in the league in tackles last year. Not bad for a rookie playing out of his natural position. It did help that he never came off the field and no, he wasn't the stout kind of player that Spikes is. I'll just enjoy the current good vibe and look forward to his healthy return next year as our first round pick (in my mind).

I guarantee they didn't finish 6-9. And disagree wins and losses can be managed by improving the means of how to improve wins....like defense....stopping the run....and stopping the opposition on 3 rd down....all have improved greatly and thusly will improve our win loss record. And it is improving our win loss record already. Go Bills!!!

And I'm not saying that the Bills will finish 6-9. All I was pointing out is that stats can be misleading when not looked at correctly.

Yesterday many were criticizing me about the D ranking BEFORE all of this weeks games were complete.

my assumption is that these #'s are up to date

http://espn.go.com/n...osition/defense

Seattle is #1 in Rushing Yards Per Game Leaders 62.3 and Yards Per Rush Attempt Leaders 3.2

Buffalo is #2 in Rushing Yards Per Game Leaders 71.0 and Yards Per Rush Attempt Leaders 3.0

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Right. He is not, however, the Chargers starting RB. He is also a midget among giants. My point is that 3 consecutive opponents had injury issues already at RB .

Woodhead is 30% of their offense. He may not be a "starting RB" but they used him like we use Spiller and used Matthews/Brown like we use Fred.

And I'm not saying that the Bills will finish 6-9. All I was pointing out is that stats can be misleading when not looked at correctly.

Yesterday many were criticizing me about the D ranking BEFORE all of this weeks games were complete.

my assumption is that these #'s are up to date

http://espn.go.com/n...osition/defense

Seattle is #1 in Rushing Yards Per Game Leaders 62.3 and Yards Per Rush Attempt Leaders 3.2

Buffalo is #2 in Rushing Yards Per Game Leaders 71.0 and Yards Per Rush Attempt Leaders 3.0

Yeah yesterday you BWAHAHA'd me (that didn't annoy me) for referring to the Bills as an elite defense (despite the Bills' elite ranking in overall defense, rushing defense, turnovers, sacks, 3rd down percentage, YPC allowed, et al) and then very specifically stated that none of those figures mattered and that all that matters is how many points we give up. In fact, you bolded the word POINTS. Well, after all the teams have now played this week, the Bills are 5th in POINTS allowed per game at 17.8. In fact, they would be ranked 2nd or 3rd if not for the 16 points our offense has given up. It is over for you in this thread. Please accept that the team you profess to be a fan of forever has a really good defense. Good night.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Yeah yesterday you BWAHAHA'd me (that didn't annoy me) for referring to the Bills as an elite defense (despite the Bills' elite ranking in overall defense, rushing defense, turnovers, sacks, 3rd down percentage, YPC allowed, et al) and then very specifically stated that none of those figures mattered and that all that matters is how many points we give up. In fact, you bolded the word POINTS. Well, after all the teams have now played this week, the Bills are 5th in POINTS allowed per game at 17.8. In fact, they would be ranked 2nd or 3rd if not for the 16 points our offense has given up. It is over for you in this thread. Please accept that the team you profess to be a fan of forever has a really good defense. Good night.

And in the end ..... what has that gained the Bills?

Yes they are 3-2, but could as easily be 1-4.

Have you looked at the teams they played and where they stand as offensive juggernauts????

Offense PPG --- Chicago #16 23.2, Miami # 14 - 24.0, SD #8 - 26.6, Houston #23 - 20.8, Detroit # 27 - 19.8,

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

And in the end ..... what has that gained the Bills?

Yes they are 3-2, but could as easily be 1-4.

Have you looked at the teams they played and where they stand as offensive juggernauts????

Offense PPG --- Chicago #16 23.2, Miami # 14 - 24.0, SD #8 - 26.6, Houston #23 - 20.8, Detroit # 27 - 19.8,

I'm done with you dude. Why are you wasting all this energy insisting the Bills' defense isn't that good? Seriously, are you trolling everyone? Do you not watch the games? Do you know what a good defense looks like? Dude they have a good defense. I'm not sure anyone would argue that at this point, they're not one of the five best defenses in the league.