Bills are #1 Rush D

TPS

umm did you look at ALL of league stats or just pick the category that fit best.

YPG can be a misleading stat .. YPR is a better statistic.

http://espn.go.com/n...osition/defense

NFL Team Rushing Defense Statistics -

Buffalo #5 against the run allowing 71.0 per game rushing - 3.0 ypa

Detroit # 7 against the run allowing 74.4 per game rushing - 3.2 ypa

Yards Per Rush Attempt Leaders

Seattle #1

I agree but isnt that stat named YPA (yards per attempt)? Anyway 3.0 ypa is very good as it forces teams into the air.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree but isnt that stat named YPA (yards per attempt)? Anyway 3.0 ypa is very good as it forces teams into the air.

Again, I never said that the #'s were not good.

All I warned against is to look at the whole picture. For a team like Buffalo you can't assume they are the greatest because of these stats.

The Pats are not that good against the run. They allowed almost 200 against them when they faced Miami and KC. Otherwise, they've not faced any runners with Oakland, Minnesota, and Cinci. I don't think Cinci is a good running team and they certainly did not play well. Bernard had almost 100 yards, though.

I'm done with you dude. Why are you wasting all this energy insisting the Bills' defense isn't that good? Seriously, are you trolling everyone? Do you not watch the games? Do you know what a good defense looks like? Dude they have a good defense. I'm not sure anyone would argue that at this point, they're not one of the five best defenses in the league.

why are you?

I made a statement, you argued with me

take a breath read what I just wrote, and try to understand "what I said" and not "what you assumed".

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Pettine was a very, very good DC last season. Not as good as Schwartz this year so far, but light years beyond what preceded him.

Pettine still deserves credit for the current system, as I see it the system is a mix between Pettine's defense and Schwartz's.

While the Bills appear to be an improved defense vs the run, let's not get giddy just yet. They have also benefitted from an odd streak of injuries at RB by their opponents. Moreno was injured on his 1st carry. The chargers were down to their backup RB. Then Houston and Detroit had to go to their bench for backs. The Schwartz defense seems to be more disciplined and players seem to be in the right gaps. That's an improvement from last years unit that was in the bottom five for 20+ yard rushes allowed. In case anyone missed it, New England looked like a pretty good opponent last night. Ridley and Vereen have gashed this defense before. And that guy Brady may not be finished just yet. A victory would go a long way toward validating this defense as a playoff caliber group. It's a good start, but they've got tough work ahead of them.

I, for one am giddy about the run d. I remember having a strategy in Fantasy Football to try an pick up the rb who was going up against the Bills last year and it worked. Just about every back had a career day against us. We gave up 128.9 yds a game last year, even to crap rb's. I don't dare do that this year, 71 yds per game this year. I don't see how you can say they APPEAR to be improved, it's clear as day to me. JMO.

And in the end ..... what has that gained the Bills?

Yes they are 3-2, but could as easily be 1-4.

Have you looked at the teams they played and where they stand as offensive juggernauts????

Offense PPG --- Chicago #16 23.2, Miami # 14 - 24.0, SD #8 - 26.6, Houston #23 - 20.8, Detroit # 27 - 19.8,

And we could be 5-0. I like this game.

Again, I never said that the #'s were not good.

All I warned against is to look at the whole picture. For a team like Buffalo you can't assume they are the greatest because of these stats.

I never intended to disagree with that statement, whole picture is what counts and in the end our record. :D

And I'm not saying that the Bills will finish 6-9. All I was pointing out is that stats can be misleading when not looked at correctly.

Yesterday many were criticizing me about the D ranking BEFORE all of this weeks games were complete.

my assumption is that these #'s are up to date

http://espn.go.com/n...osition/defense

Seattle is #1 in Rushing Yards Per Game Leaders 62.3 and Yards Per Rush Attempt Leaders 3.2

Buffalo is #2 in Rushing Yards Per Game Leaders 71.0 and Yards Per Rush Attempt Leaders 3.0

Yesterday you criticized me (and others) about the use statistics because I focused on the YPG stat, then you claimed they were 14th based total yards. Several people, including me, pointed out your error. You have yet to admit your error, and continue to try to support your case, a case that was made based on your erroneous belief the D was rated 14th. You no longer have credibility on this issue.

BWAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ELITE? that's funny.

call me when the Bills allow < 70 rushing yards and < 150 passing yards per game, create 2 INT's and 3 sacks per game

Then and only then will I call them ELITE!!

What about last season's Seahawks defense? They didn't get < 70 rushing yards, nor < 150 passing yards, nor 3 sacks per game. I guess that one of the best defenses of all time (statistically speaking) didn't have good enough stats to be called ELITE!!

The way you are acting i am very surprised that nobody has outright insulted and abused you yet.....I know I found it difficult not to.

Yesterday you criticized me (and others) about the use statistics because I focused on the YPG stat, then you claimed they were 14th based total yards. Several people, including me, pointed out your error. You have yet to admit your error, and continue to try to support your case, a case that was made based on your erroneous belief the D was rated 14th. You no longer have credibility on this issue.

Bingo

And the stat is yards per game like it or not and we are 2nd vs. the Run and have a very good D.

One simple example of a reason why YPC is flawed????? Hmm let me think for half a second... Ok got it - You force a team into lots of 2nd and long and 3rd and long - they run lot's of draw plays that don't pick up the 1st down but boost their rushing average a ton ( ie. 3rd and 12 , draw play for 7 yds - punt )

5th (best) in turnovers given up

5th (best) in turnovers caused

1st in overall turnover ratio

We lost two games because of our offense, our defense has been doing it's job, mostly.

This statement is the truth.

Thanks to our defense, we had real chances to beat the Chargers and Texans and our offense threw those opportunities away.

The offense failed to capitalize on two crucial turnovers against the Texans.

Despite the terrible first half the defense had against the Chargers, they made the stops they needed to make in the second half, but the offense failed to come through.

I'm not going to argue over statistics or whether the Bills defense is elite or not. From what I've seen in every game, I can say that the Bills defense is a strength on the team.

why are you?

I made a statement, you argued with me

take a breath read what I just wrote, and try to understand "what I said" and not "what you assumed".

Listen dude, you are like the last Pawnee in the scene in Dances With Wolves where they have him completely circled in the stream and let's out one final war whoop before he gets shot by about 30 Lakota at once. Then they scalp him. I'll give you this- why don't you tell everyone what the point is that you're trying to make?

Listen dude, you are like the last Pawnee in the scene in Dances With Wolves where they have him completely circled in the stream and let's out one final war whoop before he gets shot by about 30 Lakota at once. Then they scalp him. I'll give you this- why don't you tell everyone what the point is that you're trying to make?

Are you happy with the elite Rushing D today?

or care to explain how a top 15 D let the Putrids score 37 points, 27 of which came in the 4th QRT!!!

focusing on one small aspect might make you feel good, but the end result leaves the taste of crow on your tongue.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Are you happy with the elite Rushing D today?

or care to explain how a top 15 D let the Putrids score 37 points, 27 of which came in the 4th QRT!!!

focusing on one small aspect might make you feel good, but the end result leaves the taste of crow on your tongue.

the Bills gave up 33 rushing yards yesterday. They are allowing 2.8 yards/carry and still haven't given up a rushing TD in 6 games. The pats did not score 27 in the 4th qtr; they scored 14.

The run D was not the issue, not sure why you dug up this post from a week ago to call it out.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Does it matter how good they are vs the run when they can't cover anyone?

i believe it does, because it makes the other team one dimensional. In 4 out of the 6 games, the QB didn't end up beating us through the air. I realize Houston won, but it wasn't due to Fitz passing all over us. Brady and Rivers did. But IMO, saying we "can't cover anyone" is a bit overstated. Yesterday was not good, but I wouldn't say that is the case week in and week out. AW was truly missed.