Bills are #1 Rush D

TPS

That's a little different than Pettine's D....

The Bills have also played 3 of the top 5 defenses in the league--SD, Houston, and Lions. They averaged 14.7 ppg against those Ds, and 26 against the other two. I'd give Hackett a few games with Orton before condemning him too much.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

umm did you look at ALL of league stats or just pick the category that fit best.

YPG can be a misleading stat .. YPR is a better statistic.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/position/defense

NFL Team Rushing Defense Statistics -

Buffalo #5 against the run allowing 71.0 per game rushing - 3.0 ypa

Detroit # 7 against the run allowing 74.4 per game rushing - 3.2 ypa

Yards Per Rush Attempt Leaders

Seattle #1

umm did you look at ALL of league stats or just pick the category that fit best.

http://espn.go.com/n...osition/defense

Seattle #1

It's obvious what I looked at. There's no agenda. I took a quick scan of the stats, and thought it was impressive that they have the lowest total. I take that back, the agenda is that I'll take Schwartz over Pettine as D coordinator any year.

It's obvious what I looked at. There's no agenda. I took a quick scan of the stats, and thought it was impressive that they have the lowest total. I take that back, the agenda is that I'll take Schwartz over Pettine as D coordinator any year.

I said nothing about an agenda. I'm glad they have a much improved run D.

STATS lie, you shouldn't pick a stat and run with it alone.

the overall D ranking is what again 14 or 15...... you do the math at where they suck.

Rush D rankings have always been Ypg....

Whether or not somebody likes the stat it's how it gets measured officially.

Why pick at this?

Proud of this D! .....

IIRC Miami had over 200 yards rushing once (or twice) against the Bills. The outcome - Bills won the game

the overall D ranking is what again 14 or 15...... you do the math at where they suck.

IIRC Miami had over 200 yards rushing once (or twice) against the Bills. The outcome - Bills won the game

Big deal - anomalies happen

Ypg is still the measure and it certainly plays out accurately over a 16 game season

Beyond all that if one cannot see visually that the Bills Run D is exceptional this season, then I cannot help that person.

Big deal - anomalies happen

Ypg is still the measure and it certainly plays out accurately over a 16 game season

Beyond all that if one cannot see visually that the Bills Run D is exceptional this season, then I cannot help that person.

They still lead the league with a long run of only 14 yards allowed

what are you basing the "overall D ranking" on? I'm not seeing 14 or 15.

I think the #1 ranking should be ppg. Again, my point is that I think Schwartz's Defensive philosophy is significantly better than Pettine's, and his results are better. Schwartz has them focusing on stopping the run and making them one-dimensional.

I think the #1 ranking should be ppg. Again, my point is that I think Schwartz's Defensive philosophy is significantly better than Pettine's, and his results are better. Schwartz has them focusing on stopping the run and making them one-dimensional.

its easy. I click the link below

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

and I see

Net Total Yards Leaders

14 Buffalo 1614 YDS 322.8 YDS/G

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/position/defense

Net Passing Yards Leaders

24 Buffalo 1259 YDS

like I said do the math .

the run is rated much higher than last season, the pass not so much, about the same as last season

1 run for 20 yards = 20YPC that doesn't mean it's reality

enjoy it, lets not put blinders on.

The Skins boasted the best D in the NFL 2 weeks ago. Where are they now?

about to get a butt whooping by Seattle

Or imagine if they still had Kiko Alonzo. :worthy:

I really don't know how much that hurts us in the run game. Kiko is a great blitzer and cover guy but he wasn't a great run defender yet.

And it's a big shout out to Schwartz. And since all people care about is stats (sacks, 300 yards!), Mario isn't getting enough credit. He has been a beast in the run game and draws a ton of attention to free up other guys. He is playing like an all pro.

and I see

Net Total Yards Leaders

24 Buffalo 1259 YDS

the run is rated much higher than last season, the pass not so much, about the same as last season

Man, I certainly wouldn't use your kind of math...

For a guy who says don't focus on totals, why in hades would you rank them on total yards, not yards per game? :doh:

they are 8th in yards given up PER GAME.

Points is deceiving. The Bills gave up 14 points in the past two weeks that would get charged to the D in your system but which the D had absolutely nothing to do with. There are better measures than points.

Points is deceiving. The Bills gave up 14 points in the past two weeks that would get charged to the D in your system but which the D had absolutely nothing to do with. There are better measures than points.

Same thing for yards. Football has outdated stats that don't take into account game situations. The best stat for rush defense is yards per carry. We are at 3 yards/ carry (slightly behind Seattle at 2.8). That is outstanding.

and I see

Net Total Yards Leaders

24 Buffalo 1259 YDS

You mean after 5 games we have given up more yards than Miami and Oakland have after 4 games? Or Seattle that will only play its 4th game tonight? Shocking. Fire Schwartz now!

Most of the teams at the top of that ranking have already had their bye week.

While the Bills appear to be an improved defense vs the run, let's not get giddy just yet. They have also benefitted from an odd streak of injuries at RB by their opponents. Moreno was injured on his 1st carry. The chargers were down to their backup RB. Then Houston and Detroit had to go to their bench for backs. The Schwartz defense seems to be more disciplined and players seem to be in the right gaps. That's an improvement from last years unit that was in the bottom five for 20+ yard rushes allowed. In case anyone missed it, New England looked like a pretty good opponent last night. Ridley and Vereen have gashed this defense before. And that guy Brady may not be finished just yet. A victory would go a long way toward validating this defense as a playoff caliber group. It's a good start, but they've got tough work ahead of them.

Same thing for yards. Football has outdated stats that don't take into account game situations. The best stat for rush defense is yards per carry. We are at 3 yards/ carry (slightly behind Seattle at 2.8). That is outstanding.

Disagree - I like yards, points, and plays per drive. It washes out turnovers by a team's offense (and -- more generally -- offensive ineptitude), which skew the stats. The Bills are 8th in plays per drive, 3rd in yards per drive, and 1st in points per drive this season. That's terrific. They were good last year in those categories too, btw (5th, 2nd, and 12th), so i sorta disgree with TPS's juxtaposition. Under Wannstedt in 2012, they were 18th, 22nd, and 29th. Any way you cut it, the defense got a lot better in 2013 and is maintaining the pace this year. The personnel wasn't that much better in 2013 than in 2012, so coaching has a lot to do with it.

http://www.pro-footb...ms/buf/2014.htm

Edited by dave mcbride

Seattle #1

No dude, you are wrong. The Bills are #1 in yards allowed per game on the ground. When people say #1 against the run, that's what they mean. Look again sir. They are 8th overall, 2nd in YPC against, tied for 1st in sacks, 5th in points allowed per game- which would be higher if their offense hadn't given up 16 points- tied for 4th in turnovers and tied for 1st in +/-. There is no spinning anything. The Bills are an elite defense right now however you look at it. Edited by metzelaars_lives

and I see

Net Total Yards Leaders

24 Buffalo 1259 YDS

Dude for someone so confident, you may want to change everything to yards/game instead of yards, which is what the rankings default to. You see, some teams have had byes so naturally they will have given up less overall yards in one less game played.