Why is the rest of the offense getting a pass?

Spiller and Fred. Those are the only offensive players that can walk off the field with their head held high. Manuel was bad, but the rest of the O sure didn't help him. The OLine sucked, the receivers REALLY sucked and the Chandler is terrible. Mike Williams dropped a beautiful pass, Sammy had the ball hit him right in the hands unfortunately a few times(he's been terrible the last 2 weeks, TD or not) I guess he still isn't trying. Robert Woods looked lost a few times.

Sorry to break it but WR is not a strength.

If Stevie had dropped those same passes this board would be back logged.

The whole offense makes me sick, coaching and all. While everyone sits here and blames EJ(myself included) they need to look at sorry ass Watkins, Williams and the rest of them.

Who is giving the offense a pass?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny the game I watched EJ had time and had wide open WR's and failed to connect or even throw the damn ball. Stop with the QB excuses

+1

the line play didn't always give him a pocket but he had plenty of chances to throw the ball and he chose to dump it off that is my problem with him he simply will not throw the ball downfield. I don't know for sure if it's his OC that is telling him not to but you have to throw the ball downfield period. He just can't do it.

Because today ej was your house burning down and your asking to be upset about the cable company not broadcasting in hd and the light in the fridge being out.

In the grand scheme, it's all ej and Hackett today.

EJ was a kitchen fire, and the O line was finding out your kids used the extinguisher in some woods 6 months ago then put it back empty, the receivers were the fire hydrant in front of your house which had been replaced by a plastic decoy for dogs to piss on.

Funny the game I watched EJ had time and had wide open WR's and failed to connect or even throw the damn ball. Stop with the QB excuses

Nothing you say is funny.

+1

the line play didn't always give him a pocket but he had plenty of chances to throw the ball and he chose to dump it off that is my problem with him he simply will not throw the ball downfield. I don't know for sure if it's his OC that is telling him not to but you have to throw the ball downfield period. He just can't do it.

You knew coming into the game that Watt and the Houston pass rush was going to give the Bills line trouble. But I didn't see Hackett design anything unique for this game to counter that or perhaps focus on the run game against a defense giving up 5.5 yards per rush so far this season. A steady dose of FJ to the tune of 25+ carries (he got 7) was called for here and we didn't get that. The call and outcome on the red zone interception was a flashback to the KC game last season. A game where you were running all over the defense to that point. If that's your go-to move then just kick the FG on 3rd down.

But if you want perfect pass protection and receivers running clean routes and never dropping passes you can make me the QB and I'll hit 60%. I'm afraid that EJ just doesn't have 'IT'. And the players know that too. Just seeing their body language tells you the story. Your QB has to make a play or two during the game that makes the difference. Some here believe time and experience are what's needed for him to develop into a competent QB. So at this point it looks like we're going to spend this season and maybe next finding out that's not going to happen.

We have a playoff defense, good special teams, and a good group of skill players on offense. There's no way we go into Detroit next weekend and come away with a win based on this week's offensive performance. And then there's NE next. How does a 2-4 look and a win against the Vikings and a loss to the Jets to finish the first half of the season at 3-5? Make the change now before its too late for this year.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

I think Hackett's play calling is worse than EJ's playing

This is what I don't get. the NFL is a copycat league. Why does Hackett call a game like he's smarter than other coaches in the league? Use what works!

EJ has been bad, but IMO Hackett has been worse

There was a some bonkers stat from the first quarter. Something 7 drop backs, 2 sacks, and 4 QB hits. That's insane. Considering that was basically the entire game, he did OK. I give EJ a C- today. He fixed the most glaring issue with his game from last week and the pressure. Missed some plays for sure. Played tough in tough conditions, some missteps from the WRs.

Ur just STUPID. EJ was terrible yesterday. What were you watching? He plays w absolutely no confidence in his game. His accuracy is terrible and he is afraid to run. Every QB gets pressure, that's why its not practice. The gunfire is live. And playing on the road is not supposed to be easy. That's why QB's get paid the big bucks. The rest of the offense knows EJ is not an NFL QB. He has brought the team down. Stopped defending the indefensible. A change has to be made at QB. I think you will see a mutiny on the team otherwise.

This is what I don't get. the NFL is a copycat league. Why does Hackett call a game like he's smarter than other coaches in the league? Use what works!

EJ has been bad, but IMO Hackett has been worse

First play call was a pass to FB Frank Summers in the flat. That told the Texans that the Bills weren't seriously going to challenge them and that their plan was to hope Fitzpatrick would suck enough for the them to squeak out a win.

No matter what happens with the QB position, IMO this offense is by far the worst coached offense in the league. Thinking back to the glory years of Teddy M's K Gun, this is sickening. Everyone is playing timid and scared.

Total regime change after the season is possible seeing how the new owner isn't tied to these guys. At least there's a chance that we won't have to wait another year like the extended Jauron years. I feel like I'm watching the Dick Jauron years again. It's that horrible.

I think most of us recognize what is going on. The team is getting fed up with EJ and it is affecting their play. We've seen this over and over for 14 years. It's why there is a culture of losing. Frustration from poor QB play snowballs.

I felt like there was some of that yesterday I really did. Woods looks frustrated more than most to me. Looks frustrated that at least once a game now EJ is making him play defensive back with throws straight to defenders that Woods is having to knock away from interceptions.

The rest of the offense should not be getting a pass. The O-line was dreadful, in fact it was beyond dreadful. For all the hammering he took through 2 weeks, since Chris Williams went out early against the Chargers the pass protection has gone from adequate to horrific. The receivers all dropped balls that should have been caught and the co-ordinator called a pretty terrible game in my mind. To convert so few 1st downs when we had such success running on 1st down was inexcusable. Sometimes you know, if running over the opposition is working, then run over the opposition. The Texans run defense is not great, we were consistently gashing them on first down, EJ wasn't playing great - just run it at them. And run it at them again and run it at them again. Get a fullback in go to the I and the run the thing at them. Some of the passes on second down when we were at 2nd and 4 and 2nd and 5 were needless. Run it. We are not going to win many games with EJ attempting 44 passes. That is a simple fact. Run it.

I just got more angry and more frustrated as the game went on. Jim Schwartz has done a good job with this defense... they are legit.... sadly the offensive design, play-calling, and execution (primarily EJ but others too) is letting the D down big time.

EJ was a kitchen fire, and the O line was finding out your kids used the extinguisher in some woods 6 months ago then put it back empty, the receivers were the fire hydrant in front of your house which had been replaced by a plastic decoy for dogs to piss on.

receivers will have some drops here and there. it happens. if sammy catches a 4 yard slant on 2nd and 7 in their own end on the first drive the game doesnt suddenly turn around. if EJ stopped putting the ball off target and making them fight for catches where they had gotten good position, the game would have been very different.

i dont like seeing his drops but i dont think they substantially changed the game the way EJ being consistently off target did.

the o line was a mess all day and is a big concern but even when he had time, or lanes to move around in EJ wasnt getting the job done. the guy has all the tools, and im still hoping for him to pull it together but it was a really ugly game and he was by far the main limiting factor on the offense yesterday. they could have caught everything they should have and a few they shouldnt and it wouldnt have changed the game. if EJ hit a bunch of guys in stride it would have.

Edited by NoSaint

Ur just STUPID. EJ was terrible yesterday. What were you watching? He plays w absolutely no confidence in his game. His accuracy is terrible and he is afraid to run. Every QB gets pressure, that's why its not practice. The gunfire is live. And playing on the road is not supposed to be easy. That's why QB's get paid the big bucks. The rest of the offense knows EJ is not an NFL QB. He has brought the team down. Stopped defending the indefensible. A change has to be made at QB. I think you will see a mutiny on the team otherwise.

If you want to have dialogue. That's probably not the best way to start. Makes you sound foolish and uneducated. So I stopped reading after stupid. I have little patience for shite like that.

The Bills dropped catchable passes. The Texans caught droppable passes.

(By the way, I predicted bad things on this board with the trade-up for Watkins. I am one of the few who opposed the move. He ain't Megatron or Andre Johnson, and IMHO not worth trading up for. In the NFL, a guy who "plays bigger than he really is" will not make plays like he did in college. For that matter, I was against the CJ Spiller pick. A guy who could use his speed in college to beat defenders by running wide will not get away with that in the NFL.)

Ah the I told you so guy. Go find your posts and links or it didn't happen.

I think this may have been said once or twice. The defensive coordinators have zero respect for EJ's ability to beat them with the throw and they're perfectly happy to gamble with stuffing the box, and keying in on the run. That defense also takes away EJ's only comfortable throw over the middle. The Bills OL is struggling, but having to hold up against a game plan designed to stack the box is too much to ask. That's why it's clear the majority of the fault resides with the QB because he needs to make more than one NFL-worthy pass per game to neutralize the defensive play calls. So far, he hasn't been able to do that.

After watching the last two games, I am convinced the first two games were a fluke. They caught Chicago napping, and got lucky with Miami's LBs getting hurt. If Miami didn't have their 4th string LBs in the game, there's no way they leave the middle of the field that wide open.

I don't think even EJ's father would defend his performance yesterday. All his worst tendencies were on ample display with very few of his good points. But the play of Pears and Henderson was horrible, and the game "plan" and play calling by Hackett were nauseating, and the WRs were sub-standard.

So which one of those factors was the reason for the loss?

I'd say All Of The Above.

Nothing you say is funny.

Then, if I'm extrapolating your analogy properly (and I believe I am), it was a containable fire given even the slightest preventable measures. And I agree.

Sammy drops a should have been first on third, Woods head is not in the game and the OLine...well, you know, nine quarterback hits and all.

The team needed a perfect performance from EJ to overcome weaknesses elsewhere, and that just aint going to happen, yet. (the optimist in me just had to throw that 'yet' in there).

Meanwhile, the OLine and receivers needed to be above average today to keep things rolling, and they just weren't.

Blame whomever you like, but units let other units down, and THAT'S why we lost.

I think this may have been said once or twice. The defensive coordinators have zero respect for EJ's ability to beat them with the throw and they're perfectly happy to gamble with stuffing the box, and keying in on the run. That defense also takes away EJ's only comfortable throw over the middle. The Bills OL is struggling, but having to hold up against a game plan designed to stack the box is too much to ask. That's why it's clear the majority of the fault resides with the QB because he needs to make more than one NFL-worthy pass per game to neutralize the defensive play calls. So far, he hasn't been able to do that.

After watching the last two games, I am convinced the first two games were a fluke. They caught Chicago napping, and got lucky with Miami's LBs getting hurt. If Miami didn't have their 4th string LBs in the game, there's no way they leave the middle of the field that wide open.

I agree.

And it's why I find the "play calling sucks" arguments to be so short-sided.

Why did we come out passing? Because Houston was daring us to beat them that way. And we couldn't. But that's what they were giving us. But the OLINE, receivers and EJ were enough of a perfect storm that getting them out of the eight-man box was damn near impossible.

The playcalling matched what the defense was giving them. The offense (mostly EJ and his receivers) simply couldn't execute it.

I know, I know, I know, it's Hackett's job to be creative. Fine. It's also EJ's job to throw 400 yds and 5 TD's every week. IMO Hackett did his part. The players let him down.

Then, if I'm extrapolating your analogy properly (and I believe I am), it was a containable fire given even the slightest preventable measures. And I agree.

Sammy drops a should have been first on third, Woods head is not in the game and the OLine...well, you know, nine quarterback hits and all.

The team needed a perfect performance from EJ to overcome weaknesses elsewhere, and that just aint going to happen, yet. (the optimist in me just had to throw that 'yet' in there).

Meanwhile, the OLine and receivers needed to be above average today to keep things rolling, and they just weren't.

Blame whomever you like, but units let other units down, and THAT'S why we lost.

I agree.

And it's why I find the "play calling sucks" arguments to be so short-sided.

Why did we come out passing? Because Houston was daring us to beat them that way. And we couldn't. But that's what they were giving us. But the OLINE, receivers and EJ were enough of a perfect storm that getting them out of the eight-man box was damn near impossible.

The playcalling matched what the defense was giving them. The offense (mostly EJ and his receivers) simply couldn't execute it.

I know, I know, I know, it's Hackett's job to be creative. Fine. It's also EJ's job to throw 400 yds and 5 TD's every week. IMO Hackett did his part. The players let him down.

My take on the analogy is that the kitchen fire caused or at least exposed other problems. You don't need to know your fire extinguisher is empty if there's no fire. You don't need a fire hydrant if there's no fire.

That's one way to overreact. On the whole, OP is 100% right. When EJ made the plays no one bailed him out. When we needed the line to come up big, they collapsed.

It's not making excuses, but you just can't be practical and rest the whole loss on EJ. Sorry.

Agreed. I think EJ was hit every other drop back.

And if Sammy doesn't have those two early drops, maybe the offense gets in a rhythm and the entire game is different.

We'll never know, of course, but it's a funny thing how things play out when you consider the difference one or two seemingly innocent plays could potentially have on an entire game.