Chargers All-22

YoloinOhio

It wasn't just third downs. There were a couple of designed rollouts where he checked down or didn't throw. The offense wasn't clicking at all, and I think the fault lies with the general.

I really need to get the All-22, because I don't know if he didn't want to throw into tight coverage or just missed the read.

Per the bolded: it was more the later than the former.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone please be kind to sum of us who just can't read it.

Ok, I looked. Holy moly we got beat. I did not realize there were that many stunts on the SD DL. Wow, they took advantage of us.

I knew our WR's were not getting open long but damn they were blanketed. I hate saying it, but I wish we'd have stayed pat and got Kelvin Benjamin like I had hoped. He would have been able to snag these inaccurate EJ passes.

I really liked him too. Yeah Watkins is talented, but I really had bought into a tight end sized dude playing wr for the bills especially not knowing about the impending trade up.

Oh well what could've been.

Per the bolded: it was more the later than the former.

Thatis easy to assume watching the all 22. Unless you're in the huddle, pocket, rush, etc. It's just what you think he should have done. If there is evidence he looked at an open receiver and gave up then I can agree.

Edited by The Wiz

Thatis easy to assume watching the all 22. Unless you're in the huddle, pocket, rush, etc. It's just what you think he should have done. If there is evidence he looked at an open receiver and gave up then I can agree.

I absolutely conceded I don't know the playbook or the calls, I also conceded the all 22 inherently leads itself to inflating the egos armchair offensive coordinators or gms. But there are some things that are obvious.

I absolutely conceded I don't know the playbook or the calls, I also conceded the all 22 inherently leads itself to inflating the egos armchair offensive coordinators or gms. But there are some things that are obvious.

So if someone is his first read and not open but is open after he makes his third read does that mean he is missing his reads?

Not arguing you point but it begs to question.

Edited by The Wiz

Clips reinforce my belief we have a poorly coached offensive line. If not for Glenn it would be a disaster. Henderson is a special talent with his head on straight. Will we ruin him?

On the other side Joe D'Alessandris is coaching up that oline minus it's starting center, starts Chad Rinehart and has another Guard I never heard of. It just kicked Kyle and Dareus' tails.

Defenses taking advantage of Eric Pears being shifted to Guard? Shocking.

Edited by Big Blitz

So if someone is his first read and not open but is open after he makes his third read does that mean he is missing his reads?

Not necessarily, because as I willingly concede, I don't know for certain what the progressions are in Hackett's scheme. I don't know the playbook, I'm not an NFL coach or player. The all-22 is dangerous because people can think they're seeing one thing and hone in on that without knowing the broader scheme concepts or the plays. I am not claiming to know anything for certain, merely offering my opinions which are just that.

That said, there are plenty of people out there who have either played the game at high levels, or coached it, or analyzed it, or just spent decades watching as a fan that can see a play unfold behind the line of scrimmage and opine pretty confidently what the QB is seeing, or not seeing.

In the case of EJ, specifically in the San Diego game, there were a handful of missed opportunities that you'd hope -- even if it wasn't the proper read progression for that play -- your QB would recognize and adjust to. Those are the plays I'm talking about, the 4th down miss to Watkins/Williams being the best example (because I don't know how to link plays from the all 22 here like the write-ups do, otherwise I'd have a field day breaking down film here). On that play, whether it was a designed pick for Watkins or not, when EJ finishes his drop (which he rushed), he gets the all out blitz you want in that situation but the lone safety stays on Watkins. That opens up the entire right hand side of the field for Williams, who recognized it and cut his route under Watkins giving him the running room to turn a small play into an explosive gain. It wasn't a clean read because there was pressure, but it's 4th and 3 -- pressure is to be expected, and it was the perfect play call for it. EJ just missed it.

A young QB didn't react well to pressure? EJ is still developing but any QB with a lot of pressure generally has a hard time.

For sure. Don't take my breakdown of EJ's mistakes as a condemnation of the guy or his ability to improve. Everything I saw on the all 22 is pretty correctable and it's only Week 3, but it's an adjustment he's going to have to learn to make fast if the Bills are going to be competitive this year because his line is not going to magically improve.

...Especially with Pears at RG. I'm fairly certain that his continued presence on the roster is a practical joke at specifically my expense. That's the only explanation that makes any rational sense.

Focused entirely on EJ. Agreed that the OL didn't do him any favors, but the key to SD defense was to get pressure. In EJ's face or to get him on the run. Said it was carbon copy of the Tampa game from last year.

Is that not the game plan to stop all QB's? Pressure up the middle so they can't step up into the pocket. It's not rocket science. Our guards suck.

Now its up to 5+ years? Same time as a thoracic surgeon? I am getting way to old for this. Can we get a Foles or Cousins that can produce in there 2nd year so I can see the team win before I die?

EJ hasn't played 16 games yet...When they get tape on Cousins he may be no better than RGIII.

most of those plays were later in the game after EJ had spent the whole time ducking and dodging defenders blowing by his OL. He missed some throws but I feel like he thought someone was breathing down his neck, because they had been. All game. He looks to me like a QB who had no confidence that his line would even be in position to stop someone from running free.

Is that not the game plan to stop all QB's? Pressure up the middle so they can't step up into the pocket. It's not rocket science. Our guards suck.

EJ hasn't played 16 games yet...When they get tape on Cousins he may be no better than RGIII.

Much of the pressure came from stunts where the OL was already engaged. That rush is then the responsibility of the RB if he's still in the back field or for the QB to recognize it sooner.

After rewatching the game in All-22, SD defense had the Bills flustered in the first half, and EJ didn't have many options based on the receivers' routes. But things did open up in the second half and that's when EJ folded.

Do good QB's anticipate? I believe that they do. That first read that was covered...do you suppose that a more seasoned QB would have anticipated, based on coverage, that the #1 would pop open? I think that the good ones do. Anticipation is one of the intangibles that we haven't seen on display from a Bills QB.

How many of EJs decisions are made pre-snap? How many of a more seasoned QBs decisions are made pre-snap? Trust (in himself and teammates & bravado (belief in himself to the extreme) seem to be areas where EJ is lacking. Not sure that those are traits that can be enhanced or learned though.

After rewatching the game in All-22, SD defense had the Bills flustered in the first half, and EJ didn't have many options based on the receivers' routes. But things did open up in the second half and that's when EJ folded.

The most troubling thing from this analysis and from watching the game is that once the pressure starts coming, EJ gets flustered and misses what look like the easiest of throws. At least on a couple of occasions, if not more, I saw a receiver wide open and EJ threw behind or over him. This is frustrating to watch and quite concerning. This is the closest I have watched a development of a QB as I did not have the Sunday ticket during JP and Trent's early years. So, I am not sure if this 'panic mode' is correctable or not. There is no way an NFL QB can get clean pockets as against the Bears and Dolphins. The QB has to be able to stand tall, step away from pressure, keep eyes downfield and complete passes with defenders coming at him. If we do not see this in EJ's development this year, I doubt it will develop in the future. As of now, I am willing to give him time, but am getting mildly concerned.

My thoughts on all-22...

1 - WR are "blanketed" all the time, and still catch passes. How many times do you see it every game? If you don't have a QB who has the confidence to throw the ball into tight spots(you have to be accurate in order to do this) and trust his WR to make the catch, you will not succeed.

2 - Unless you know the assignments of each and every player, it is not that easy to place blame on a play that doesn't work just because you have all-22.

3 - Unless there is a camera attached to the QB's helmet, it is really tough to determine what he can see as the play develops.

That being said, for a football junkie, it is very cool, but to me it doesn't make someone an "expert" i.e Jeremy White, at breaking down plays.

Edited by LabattBlue

Here are 5 Vines from the last game that highlight his accuracy issues. In each clip the OL holds up nicely and gives him time to throw. He stands tall in the pocket, makes the correct reads, finds the open man, and then....then....he just misfires. His inconsistent play didn't just start last week either. I can excuse a young QB for not picking up a blitz, for not seeing an open receiver, or for not reading a coverage correctly. But when you do all the aforementioned correctly and simply can't throw a football accurately, well I'm just not sure that's an easily correctable part of a QB's skill set.

https://vine.co/u/1126081375733444608

This post is spot on and you have managed very well to pinpoint the major problem with EJ's game...

Vet QB's are going to miss the proper reads at times and get off their game a bit while being pressured...Brady and Manning are the best in the business, but both have a history of struggling when intense pressure is brought...especially when that pressure is brought up the middle...

There seems to be a a ton of over-analysis concerning EJ considering he just finished his 13th NFL start... The truth is over the past two games, and for most of his 13 game career thus-far, if he simply hits his receiver in stride when he makes the right read on plays the Bills offense would be light-years ahead of where it is now... B-)