Obama pledges 3000 US troops to fight Ebola

/dev/null

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about "troops", but this is the right thing to do, both for the suffering people of Africa and to keep us safer from the Ebola virus.

President Obama is right on this one

I'm not at all sure 3000 "troops" is the correct response - there is a hell of a lot of ways that can go sideways. But...I also can't think of another government department that could deploy the necessary resources quickly to that region.

And really, this should have been done much earlier. The epidemic is so well advanced that it's become a fundamentally different public health problem than previous epidemics.

I'm not at all sure 3000 "troops" is the correct response - there is a hell of a lot of ways that can go sideways. But...I also can't think of another government department that could deploy the necessary resources quickly to that region.

And really, this should have been done much earlier. The epidemic is so well advanced that it's become a fundamentally different public health problem than previous epidemics.

Classic leading from behind. Next he's about to begin to consider a strong statement that he might give from the Rose Garden in support of Solidarity.

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta love all the reassurances from the CDC and the rest of the 'gubmint when every other news story is about some jackass with ebola who just stepped off an airplane or walked out of the hospital and went home.

Yeah, I'm sure no one else is infected. :rolleyes:

Gotta love all the reassurances from the CDC and the rest of the 'gubmint when every other news story is about some jackass with ebola who just stepped off an airplane or walked out of the hospital and went home.

Yeah but it got reports of ISIS off the front page.

Big deal. Given the incubation period, it was bound to happen eventually.

I'm more worried about the cameraman who's infected. Ebola isn't spread by casual contact (usually - there is one variant that's airborne, but it only infects monkeys.) So far, everyone with a confirmed case has close contact with an infected individual in Africa...except, as far as I know, the NBC cameraman.

I'm also more worried about stupid Americans than I am a pandemic. Standard precautions (gloves, gown, mask, eye protection) can stop an Ebola epidemic in its tracks. Nothing can prevent Americans from being histrionic morons.

Big deal. Given the incubation period, it was bound to happen eventually.

I'm more worried about the cameraman who's infected. Ebola isn't spread by casual contact (usually - there is one variant that's airborne, but it only infects monkeys.) So far, everyone with a confirmed case has close contact with an infected individual in Africa...except, as far as I know, the NBC cameraman.

I'm also more worried about stupid Americans than I am a pandemic. Standard precautions (gloves, gown, mask, eye protection) can stop an Ebola epidemic in its tracks. Nothing can prevent Americans from being histrionic morons.

On the up side, given the communal nature of drug use, Ebola is sure to concentrate it's fatalities in those communities.

On the up side, given the communal nature of drug use, Ebola is sure to concentrate it's fatalities in those communities.

Sadly, only the injecting drug users. The pot smokers will be fine, meaning Tom Petty will still have the financial incentive to make "music."