Obama pledges 3000 US troops to fight Ebola

/dev/null

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ebola most certainly is transmitted through blood and bodily fluids including saliva, sweat, and mucus; at least according to the CDC.

Not effectively. The CDC's guidelines are an extremely conservative interpretation (which is not unreasonable) of the current evidence and research, which says "viral fragments are present in sweat, saliva, and mucus, but we can't find any evidence of a live virus."

Mucus, saliva, and sweat are easily and often exchanged when sharing marajuana.

and semen, (for JTSP that doesn't necessarily mean seamen).

If I'm a muckity-muck in ISIL I'd have 50 - 100 fanatics intent on suicide and striking against the great satan, I'd get them all infected with ebola and whisk them over to Mexico and then get them into the US and distributed throughout the entire country pronto. Then, in 21 days when they become symptomatic, BOOM! goes the dynamite (or whatever explosives they can muster) in their Nicholas Brody vests while they casually stroll among the ever present crowds in America's shopping malls, theaters, sports arenas, subways, train stations, and other gathering spots of the masses.

No. There's no threat to America there. None. We've got the CDC and Obamacare to protect us!

Big deal. Given the incubation period, it was bound to happen eventually.

I'm more worried about the cameraman who's infected. Ebola isn't spread by casual contact (usually - there is one variant that's airborne, but it only infects monkeys.) So far, everyone with a confirmed case has close contact with an infected individual in Africa...except, as far as I know, the NBC cameraman.

I'm also more worried about stupid Americans than I am a pandemic. Standard precautions (gloves, gown, mask, eye protection) can stop an Ebola epidemic in its tracks. Nothing can prevent Americans from being histrionic morons.

Yeah, I'm not too worried that Donald Sutherland is going to start nuking towns over it or anything, but I'm also pretty sure most of what is being announced by officials is bull ****.

Not effectively. The CDC's guidelines are an extremely conservative interpretation (which is not unreasonable) of the current evidence and research, which says "viral fragments are present in sweat, saliva, and mucus, but we can't find any evidence of a live virus."

Interesting. How did the dude in Dallas get it? Supposedly all he did was help a pregnant woman (who was showing symptoms... That's why they were sending her off) into a car to go to the hospital. How would it have been transmitted there? What the heck did he touch?

Yeah, I'm not too worried that Donald Sutherland is going to start nuking towns over it or anything, but I'm also pretty sure most of what is being announced by officials is bull ****.

Most of what I'm hearing from officials is pretty accurate, until it gets passed through the media. "A man in Howard University Hospital is quarantined pending tests for Ebola" becomes "Ebola Outbreak in DC! How Will This Affect You?" Seriously...local radio was taking calls from listeners about their reaction to the "Ebola outbreak" down hear and how they were reacting to it, while simultaneously reporting that the two "Ebola cases" actually had malaria and not Ebola.

And the biggest amplifier of this Ebola epidemic in Africa is people not just not listening to authorities, but actively inhibiting them on the principle "the authorities are lying," to the point of murdering health care workers for suspicion of spreading the disease.

Interesting. How did the dude in Dallas get it? Supposedly all he did was help a pregnant woman (who was showing symptoms... That's why they were sending her off) into a car to go to the hospital. How would it have been transmitted there? What the heck did he touch?

I don't know, but a pregnant woman sick with Ebola, I would not be at all surprised if he had direct contact with contaminated blood.

Ebola is a hemorrhagic fever, so severe bleeding is normal (nosebleeds, bloody vomit, etc.) And as I recall, it can be more severe in pregnant women (I know Lassa fever is, but I forget about the filoviridae).

Most of what I'm hearing from officials is pretty accurate, until it gets passed through the media. "A man in Howard University Hospital is quarantined pending tests for Ebola" becomes "Ebola Outbreak in DC! How Will This Affect You?" Seriously...local radio was taking calls from listeners about their reaction to the "Ebola outbreak" down hear and how they were reacting to it, while simultaneously reporting that the two "Ebola cases" actually had malaria and not Ebola.

And the biggest amplifier of this Ebola epidemic in Africa is people not just not listening to authorities, but actively inhibiting them on the principle "the authorities are lying," to the point of murdering health care workers for suspicion of spreading the disease.

I don't know, but a pregnant woman sick with Ebola, I would not be at all surprised if he had direct contact with contaminated blood.

Ebola is a hemorrhagic fever, so severe bleeding is normal (nosebleeds, bloody vomit, etc.) And as I recall, it can be more severe in pregnant women (I know Lassa fever is, but I forget about the filoviridae).

Wow... Thanks. Supposedly she wasn't in labor... The story was the ambulance wouldn't come, so they called a cab. But like you said, he probably got some blood on him. Or, who knows who else he came into contact with. Man, got to be a God awful hell hole of poverty and unsanitary conditions. Coming here to The States even in its worst areas has to be like heaven!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Wow... Thanks. Supposedly she wasn't in labor... The story was the ambulance wouldn't come, so they called a cab. But like you said, he probably got some blood on him. Or, who knows who else he came into contact with. Man, got to be a God awful hell hole of poverty and unsanitary conditions. Coming here to The States even in its worst areas has to be like heaven!

At least in the US you can get a mask and gloves virtually anywhere you go. Not so in Africa. I have better protective gear in my woodshop than most clinics in sub-Saharan Africa have. Of course, I also spend more on woodworking in a year than most sub-Saharan African countries spend per-capita on health care.

Case in point: the guy in Dallas got infected not just carrying her to an ambulance: he carried her to a taxi because an ambulance wasn't available, then drove with her to at least three different hospitals, and two Ebola treatment centers, all of which turned her away for lack of beds. He then took her home, and helped the family take care of her until she died later that night. At which point the family prepared the body for the funeral (he may have helped, the stories I saw were unclear), which is a shockingly common way for Ebola to spread. That's the state of public health in the region...and Liberia's better than most.

At least in the US you can get a mask and gloves virtually anywhere you go. Not so in Africa. I have better protective gear in my woodshop than most clinics in sub-Saharan Africa have. Of course, I also spend more on woodworking in a year than most sub-Saharan African countries spend per-capita on health care.

Case in point: the guy in Dallas got infected not just carrying her to an ambulance: he carried her to a taxi because an ambulance wasn't available, then drove with her to at least three different hospitals, and two Ebola treatment centers, all of which turned her away for lack of beds. He then took her home, and helped the family take care of her until she died later that night. At which point the family prepared the body for the funeral (he may have helped, the stories I saw were unclear), which is a shockingly common way for Ebola to spread. That's the state of public health in the region...and Liberia's better than most.

Holy smokes!

Wow! That's not how they do it in Texas?

Just kidding. Sorry to make light of a sad state of affairs. I guess we can knock a lot of things in this country but man do we have some of our sh*t together.

How would ya like to be the neighbors living in that apartment complex. I know you said it is hard to pass (sort of)... Pins and needles for the month of October is not the word.

Then there is the report that he was hurling outside the apartment. Why not @ least hug the porcelain goddess and pitch it in there? What happens if an animal comes in contact with that? Yikes... Bad kitty!

If it's transmitted through Semen, I expect the PPP to be light on posters in a few weeks....

Man... That's a low blow!

Oh wait... If you noticed there is a lot of d*ck sucking going on in "The Rand Thread." The selfish libertarians should be dropping like flies in no time. ;-P

I read something truly scary this evening: Liberia had 54 doctors - total - in 2010. And at least half of them have died in the current epidemic.

Crazy... So incredibly sad.

If it's transmitted through Semen

If it's transmitted thru semen, we shouldn't send the Navy :P

Living in the Hampton Roads area, home of the Atlantic Surface Fleet, I have met...

Seaman Swallows

Seaman Spitzer

Seaman Peters

Seaman Johnson

Seaman Dick

I have also met a retired Major in the Marines (from Buffalo) named Gaggage.

Yep. Major Gaggage

Edited by /dev/null