Obama pledges 3000 US troops to fight Ebola

/dev/null

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from that article:

'I have heard media reports calling for people such as me who have been treating Ebola patients to be quarantined for 21 or even 42 days. These ideas are not based on the medical facts. People only need to be quarantined if they are showing symptoms and if you do not have a fever, there is no risk of you transmitting Ebola to someone.'

if someone isn't showing symptoms, they can't transmit the disease - I get that part of it. what I'm having trouble understanding is that just because people aren't showing symptoms, there's no guarantee that the viral infection isn't just in it's incubation stage, with symptoms developing in the victim at a later time. isn't it just common sense to keep people with any kind of contact with Ebola patients away from others until we know that the incubation period is over?

from that article:

'I have heard media reports calling for people such as me who have been treating Ebola patients to be quarantined for 21 or even 42 days. These ideas are not based on the medical facts. People only need to be quarantined if they are showing symptoms and if you do not have a fever, there is no risk of you transmitting Ebola to someone.'

if someone isn't showing symptoms, they can't transmit the disease - I get that part of it. what I'm having trouble understanding is that just because people aren't showing symptoms, there's no guarantee that the viral infection isn't just in it's incubation stage, with symptoms developing in the victim at a later time. isn't it just common sense to keep people with any kind of contact with Ebola patients away from others until we know that the incubation period is over?

I've been curious about that too. It's a rather liberal (in the non-political sense) interpretation of "quarantine." Minor point in this situation - when you're symptomatic you can theoretically transmit Ebola to someone else...but until you reach the acute stage of the disease, it's not likely.

Of course, most of our knowledge of how Ebola spreads comes from African epidemics, where virtually every patient reaches the acute stage outside a hospital or clinic. So, since the vast majority of victims are exposed well beyond the initial presentation, the body of knowledge as to how Ebola might transmit early is pretty much theoretical. Sound...but still theoretical.

I've been curious about that too. It's a rather liberal (in the non-political sense) interpretation of "quarantine." Minor point in this situation - when you're symptomatic you can theoretically transmit Ebola to someone else...but until you reach the acute stage of the disease, it's not likely.

Of course, most of our knowledge of how Ebola spreads comes from African epidemics, where virtually every patient reaches the acute stage outside a hospital or clinic. So, since the vast majority of victims are exposed well beyond the initial presentation, the body of knowledge as to how Ebola might transmit early is pretty much theoretical. Sound...but still theoretical.

I don't consider myself to be a paranoid on the subject, but under the circumstances I'd feel better if there was some kind of temporary restriction placed on comings and goings in places where the outbreaks are being treated.

Well said!

Just curious... What about people who run low-grade fevers and don't blink an eye. As a youth I was diagnosed with JRA... I wouldn't know what the heck is considered "low-grade" bad.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

That's what'll make flu season so interesting.

The meds I have to take are all immune suppressors, which of course has everyone in my life freaking out about me when I travel (which I have to a lot). These pictures making the rounds today from Logan (where I fly into all the time) aren't helping me calm folks down:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/10/13/united-arab-emirates-flight-quarantined-logan-after-sick-passengers-reported/X5DSbXfckXH9Q0PcGMsq4M/story.html

So, I guess I'm saying, it was nice knowing everyone here. I'll be a goner by year's end.

(Edit: couldn't post the picture of the hazmat suits so you get the article instead)

Edited by GreggyT

The meds I have to take are all immune suppressors, which of course has everyone in my life freaking out about me when I travel (which I have to a lot). These pictures making the rounds today from Logan (where I fly into all the time) aren't helping me calm folks down:

http://www.bostonglo...sq4M/story.html

So, I guess I'm saying, it was nice knowing everyone here. I'll be a goner by year's end.

(Edit: couldn't post the picture of the hazmat suits so you get the article instead)

It ain't all so bad Greg. Lots of folks take immune suppressors of one type or another. My wifey for one.

Here's a pic of a hazmat suit in action. Lucky guy. Nothin'll happen to him.

kerryinspace.jpg