Hackett too conservative in the red zone?

Jerry Jabber

I’ve read in all the articles today (as well as on WGR last night) about the Bills red zone woes as they struggle to score touchdowns. I’m not sure why Hackett is so conservative when it comes to the red zone? It seems once the Bills get in the red zone, the offense runs two run plays (usually on 1st and 2nd down), then passes on 3rd down. I only saw Mike Williams targeted once in the end zone and didn’t see Scott Chandler targeted at all in the end zone all game long. It would be nice to see Hackett call some more pass plays to his bigger targets in the end zone.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All they need is to consistently get the 3 and the occasional TD and let the defense take care of the rest. Hackett is allowing Manuel to play within himself and manage the game. I do not think he is being too conservative at all.

It was fine for this game, but what happens when they are down 14 points in the 2nd half, or are in a shootout and all they can do is "consistently get the 3". Hopefully the red zone success will improve in coming weeks along with the running game which outside of Spillers's 47 yard run and Jackson's 11 yard run...

averaged 1.77 YPC on 31 attempts.

GO BILLS!

Edited by LabattBlue

I expect they'll open things up more as the season goes on, and as they face tougher opponents. I think they knew yesterday was going to be a low scoring day, and the minimal risk approach made sense. It would be nice if they would make better use of Mike Williams and the TEs in the red zone, it would add one more angle that the opponent has to defend against (maybe opening more room for the run / screen calls they seem to love in the red zone so far.)

It is very encouraging that the Bills were able to sustain drives all day yesterday, with only 1 3 and out (at least prior to the 4th quarter when they were just running clock.)

All they need is to consistently get the 3 and the occasional TD and let the defense take care of the rest. Hackett is allowing Manuel to play within himself and manage the game. I do not think he is being too conservative at all.

I would say we need to consistently get the TD and occasionally get the 3. At least that's what teams with a winning record tend to do more often than not.

I would like to see them actually throw into the end zone when they get down close to the redzone.

Take a few more shots.

We have the big receivers to do it too. A jump ball to either Watkins or Mike Williams against a smaller corner-- I like our chances.

I know EJ missed on that fade to Mike Williams yesterday on 3rd down. But if you run that same play on 1st down, then 2nd down, then 3rd down-- that's gotta work and be really hard to defend, no?

We were certainly being conservative. But were we being too conservative? It's much harder to get open in such a short field, and Manuel (or was it Hackett?) was being very careful not to turn the ball over. And we didn't.

We're OK with this now. Had we lost the game, we sure as hell would NOT be OK with it. We need to get more creative in the red zone, and I suspect we will. Give it time.

You know you can really screw up a game throwing a pick in the red zone. I think maybe they were being conservative but its playing not to lose and not to win. They've gotta work on that for sure. I'd like to see maybe some more screens inside there. Safer kind of play and give our guys a chance to run

The Red Zone woes are certainly note worthy....but as others have said, I'm not certain it all lays on Hackett's shoulders. I think the BILLS Offensive unit is still gaining a chemistry component while gaining experience, and as the season goes on, I do think they will actually improve, i.e. Red Zone TDs vs. field goals...EJ is gathering confidence and gaining some chemistry with WRs while the Offensive line is doing the same...so, all in all I take it as they're still growing but the Red Zone may be an issue at some point and certainly needs to be addressed in practice this week, IMHO, as a focus and not just the standard amount of practice and focus...

You know you can really screw up a game throwing a pick in the red zone. I think maybe they were being conservative but its playing not to lose and not to win. They've gotta work on that for sure. I'd like to see maybe some more screens inside there. Safer kind of play and give our guys a chance to run

See: Tuel pass in KC game last season.

a lot of it has to do with not being able to run the ball mainly due to the O-line not opening holes

Hackett is conservative then likes to call low percentage plays on third down like the fade to Williams which i dont think EJ has ever actually completed and half the time doesnt even give receiver chance to catch it

The offense did a good job of scoring 22 points yesterday. They faced a good Dolphins defense which held our run gam in check for most of the game. It just seemed that you knew what Hackett was going to do after a while in the red zone, run it on 1st and 2nd down and then throw it on 3rd down. I understand what Hackett is doing with Manuel by calling a conservative game plan to limit Manuel’s mistakes, but he should try and mix up the play calling a little better in the red zone as it’s too predictable and too conservative at times.

We aren't every good on first and second down. Not sure what the stat is, but last week we averaged 3rd and 7 and change. We really put our young QB in a tough spot doing that.

Teams are trying to make EJ throw to beat them. Playing the run heavily on first and second downs and it is working. Time to start throwing a bit more on first and second down instead of waiting for third and long.