How was Sammy so wide open all day

Webster Guy

Sammy's route on his TD reception was a very savvy and veteran like thing of beauty.

2014-09-1412_21_44.gif

The best part about this play is that it's obvious Hackett is scheming ways to get the ball into Sammy's hands. The fact that Chandler picks the LB and starts blocking him before Sammy gets the ball (a penalty actually) tells us that this play was designed to go to one place - Sammy. Put the ball in your playmakers hands and good things happen.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I am going to have to eat crow on Watkins..... I wasn't convinced. I saw a bit of him at Clemson last year and thought he was a gadgety receiver who you do things with out of the backfield, catches a load of screens and takes them to the house against poor college defenses. I wanted a big, strong, quick guy, however, I said when we traded up that if the FO felt that strongly I was going to trust them. Unsurprisingly it looks like the professional evaluaters were right and I was wrong.

This kid is special.

Edited by GunnerBill

whats most impressive about Sammy.

#1- the way he snatches balls out of the air using his hands only.

#2- a willing blocker on run plays.

#3- toughing out what must be a very painful rib injury.

also, it looked to me like Sammy threw the ball at the pylon. the ball was NOT in his hand when it made contact with the pylon. fortunately it was ruled a TD on the field. not conclusive to overturn.

What an amazing game!

and to think this was only his second game in the league. Wow!

I hope Woods and Williams will step up next week because you can bet that the Chargers are going to be paying close attention to Sammy.

CBF

I anticipate they will try to defend him the way they did with Harvin yesterday.

The fact that Chandler picks the LB and starts blocking him before Sammy gets the ball (a penalty actually) tells us that this play was designed to go to one place - Sammy.

Watching that clip it sure looks like Chandler should have been flagged. Oops.

kj

The first catch I wondered where on earth the defensive back was and how he could BE that open. As the game progressed I became more and more convinced that this is really THAT good. San Diego will be double teaming him and that should open things up for our other first rate receivers. I'm not even going to mention the fact that our run game is pretty good too. We can "blame" the Chicago win on a poor Chicago team, but Miami is touted as a contender. Beat San Diego and we'll shut up a hell of a lot of sportcasters. I can't get over hearing Mad Dog dismissing the Bills last week with the comment that "they suck.". Go Bills, kick some butt.

Watching that clip it sure looks like Chandler should have been flagged. Oops.

kj

Eh, he didn't really engage him, he ran to a spot, pushed off a bit, and turned around. If he would have grabbed him like a blocker, then there would have been a real issue.

/BillsTintedGlasses

Wunderkins is an amazing athlete! I'm so glad he is on our team.

I'm going to be a bit nitpicky here, but on that first catch, when he's one on one with the defender, he's GOTTA make him miss. Thats 6 pts right there if he does. He's that kind of athlete that should be able to do that. That said, it was his first catch and he likely had some jitters! Great game either way, he's going to be a great one!

Lets go Bills!!!

also, it looked to me like Sammy threw the ball at the pylon. the ball was NOT in his hand when it made contact with the pylon. fortunately it was ruled a TD on the field. not conclusive to overturn.

I disagree, it appeared to me he was losing control, then gathered it and as he touched the pylon lost control of it.

That is a touchdown! Or at the very least inconclusive which again is a touchdown!