It should have been a touchback...

Dragonborn10

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the play numerous times now. Sammy's TD should have been ruled a fumble and touchback. Bills got lucky. Luck is part of the game and maybe it is our time to get a good break.

You sound like one of those people who just needs something to complain about.

We were one missed field goal from beating the Fish by more than three touchdowns. You need to dig deep to find something to stress on tonight.

Fortunately, for the sake of keeping this board amusing, your panty wadding is good for a laugh, so thanks for that.

Really tough call. I personally think it wasn't a TD and should have been a touchback. But how do you possibly see it and call it clearly as an official when he has it, loses it, regains it, and then loses it again. In plays like this, you give it to the player that makes the play, which was Sammy. If they called it a touchback first they surely would not have reversed it to a TD.

Really tough call. I personally think it wasn't a TD and should have been a touchback. But how do you possibly see it and call it clearly as an official when he has it, loses it, regains it, and then loses it again. In plays like this, you give it to the player that makes the play, which was Sammy. If they called it a touchback first they surely would not have reversed it to a TD.

No doubt,. And that is as it should be, IMO.

I watched the play numerous times now. Sammy's TD should have been ruled a fumble and touchback. Bills got lucky. Luck is part of the game and maybe it is our time to get a good break.

Said the same thing during the game, in the active thread. Also said that for all the times that the Bills have been royally screwed by the refs, it's just a start to getting back to the mendoza line. LOL

Also, addressing ADawg's point: I don't think the ball ever broke the plane of the EZ, because it was at such a sharp angle at the pylon. It looks like he literally threw the ball at the pylon, from about 6 inches away.

Edited by John in Jax

To my original point, the NFL didn't meaningfully review these plays. See SI article. I actually went back and counted-- less than a minute to review both of these plays:

http://www.si.com/nf...sial-touchdowns

Agree, they spent more time on Chandler catch than this TD. Hard to believe on a play this close and a TD that it wasn't reviewed longer. I watched a bunch of games yesterday. The refs were awful all over. The false start on RT on 4th down was ridiculous. How do they miss that? 49ers scored a TD and play clock was clearly at 0. The Harvin TD was barely looked at also.

Edited by nucci

71 stood up early on at least 4 plays for the Dolphins, and was not called once. Especially on 4th and 3. Unbelievable that they missed that one. Miami would have been forced to punt.

No doubt about it TC, I kept seeing him move early a couple times, enough so that I started watching him and I caught for certain at least three, not counting the ones that caused me to pay attention.

Was always going to be a "call on the field" decision. Had it been called a fumble it would have been upheld as a fumble. So in that light, Robert Woods did a great job by throwing his arms up for a Touchdown right in front of the official instantly that it happened... there is something about human behavioural norms that pre-conditions us to copy when in moments of stress.

You sound like one of those people who just needs something to complain about.

We were one missed field goal from beating the Fish by more than three touchdowns. You need to dig deep to find something to stress on tonight.

Fortunately, for the sake of keeping this board amusing, your panty wadding is good for a laugh, so thanks for that.

He's not complaining. It was a close call and looked to many like a fumble. Would have made a huge difference in the game if reversed. Are we not allowed to discuss such a big play? We're all happy it was a TD. Just looked like a fumble to some.

Watched it a few times myself--it was really close. No way that's getting overturned regardless of what the call on the field was...to me, looked like he regained control of the ball as it was hovering above the pylon, so that would be a TD.

As I said though--whatever the call on the field was would definitely stand.

Everyone seems to think it was a fumble and the Bills for lucky. It looks to me as if he regains control of the ball in his right hand after the bobble and changes the direction of the ball directly to center of the pylon. I think the key here for control is his right hand changes the direction of the ball, meaning there is control /possession. The ball hits the pylon squarely on the inside edge (since it toppled our of play perpendicular to the side line. After he hits the pylon with the ball it comes out. I still think it's a clear touchdown.

To my original point, the NFL didn't meaningfully review these plays. See SI article. I actually went back and counted-- less than a minute to review both of these plays:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/14/percy-harvin-sammy-watkins-controversial-touchdowns

Yes, but the wallace play wasn't even remotely debatable. He landed on his back and elbow in bounds (by a foot at least), with his feet in the air. Landing on your back in bounds regardless of whether your feet have touched the ground yet = in bounds.

No doubt about it TC, I kept seeing him move early a couple times, enough so that I started watching him and I caught for certain at least three, not counting the ones that caused me to pay attention.

I've seen refs blow the whistle when a guys shoulder twitches....or a wideout's head moves slightly. To miss 71 backing up before the ball is snapped.....absolutely horrid non-call. Game changer, really.

[sarcasm] It's clear that Watkins had full control of the ball as he touched the orange end zone marker. How dare you question that!!! The Bills are gods!

You should understand Dragonborn10 that if you question anything or offer an opposing opinion that's not rah rah pro Bills, you're considered a troll or negative Ned. Realistic or opposing views aren't always appreciated here.

2 years ago, prior to the start of the season, a lot of the regulars here at TSW were 100% convinced the Bills were playoff bound. I wasn't quite as optimistic, having heard similar hype for too many years, and then experiencing a letdown. The Boy Who Cried Wold syndrome. I stated my opinion and was chastised for not towing the company line and proclaiming the Bills as a top 10 team. How dare I?

Unfortunately, the regulars on this message board perceive anyone giving a counterpoint as being a bad guy.

My avatar - the "on paper" superbowl trophy is the result of those conversations.

There's little respect for an opposing point of view. Put on those rose colored glasses or shut up.

I give up.