The Pegulas FIRST move as owners has already taken place

TXBILLSFAN

The Pegulas FIRST move as NFL owners took place a few years back when they bought Five Star Athlete Management. Five Star is one of the biggest sports agency in the NFL. While the Pegulas will have to divest themslves of this holding (5 Star reps Dareus and other NFL players), they will not divest their relationship with Five Star's founder, Todd France.

Remember the name, Todd France. He will play a significant role in the future of the Bills front office and help the Pegulas reshape the culture and create a consistent winning culture from top to bottom.

France offers a unique perspective into the NFL, being a veteran agent, he's seen good and bad front offices, what works and what doesn't work in terms of management structure and knows all the key NFL players personally. While, I don't envision him as the next GM, I am confident his role will help determine who the GM and HC going forward.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pegulas FIRST move as NFL owners took place a few years back when they bought Five Star Athlete Management. Five Star is one of the biggest sports agency in the NFL. While the Pegulas will have to divest themslves of this holding (5 Star reps Dareus and other NFL players), they will not divest their relationship with Five Star's founder, Todd France.

Remember the name, Todd France. He will play a significant role in the future of the Bills front office and help the Pegulas reshape the culture and create a consistent winning culture from top to bottom.

France offers a unique perspective into the NFL, being a veteran agent, he's seen good and bad front offices, what works and what doesn't work in terms of management structure and knows all the key NFL players personally. While, I don't envision him as the next GM, I am confident his role will help determine who the GM and HC going forward.

Wow, you say an agent will help pick the next GM and HC? That's not intuitive.

Is there a precedent for that anywhere--where an agent helped create a winning culture? I don't see how it follows. Agents sole role re: the team is to extact the best deal possible for the one or two guys on that team they represent. That seems to be the opposite of team building skill, more like every man for himslef.

Is there a precedent for that anywhere--where an agent helped create a winning culture? I don't see how it follows. Agents sole role re: the team is to extact the best deal possible for the one or two guys on that team they represent. That seems to be the opposite of team building skill, more like every man for himslef.

^this

Lon Babby was a big agent hired to run the Phoenix Suns a few years ago. His first couple years were a disaster. Then he hired an up and coming young GM Ryan McDonough and together they hired a first time coach and the team was the surprise team in the NBA last year, and should be very good for years to come.

I don't think there is a lot to draw on that. He sure made his share of blunders. I think perhaps he stumbled upon or lucked upon MCDonough but maybe it was a bold move that immediately paid huge dividends. McDonough was only 33 but had worked for 10 years for the Celtics and is the son of Will McDonough and brother of Sean McDonough the broadcaster.

We had a bit of this discussion some time ago, I think.

Pegula has to divest of Five Star, I believe. So a good early step will be selling the agency.

As for France, I also questioned why anyone thought he would be brought in to be a GM or help pick one. That doesn't necessarily fit together for me. With that said, I really don't know his specific knowledge base or skill set. Perhaps he is suited for something in the front office. Can't say he isn't, based simply on what we know he has done. He might have some value to the team as a negotiator or consultant to Pegula (if Pegula respects his analysis and judgement). But I imagine he has some better options if he is as good as the OP believes.

Leave Doug Whaley in place, but move Brandon back to the business only side, and out of the football decision making chain.

<sigh> Russ is already solely on the business side. This has been discussed over and over again. Russ isn't making football decisions.

If thus France guy is worth his salt, he will fire Russ Brandon as the first order of business.

FYI for all of those people who defend Brandon: you are not shareholders of the business. It should not matter to you what he does on the business side of things and whether those initiatives are successful or not. As a fan, what should matter is the product on the field. And it has sucked since 2009.

He has headed an inept organization since 2009 that has placed profits above winning. He cares about keeping fans interested, not winning, hence the "bold moves" that no one else in the league would consider.

He needs to be tossed out on his ear.

We had a bit of this discussion some time ago, I think.

Pegula has to divest of Five Star, I believe. So a good early step will be selling the agency.

As for France, I also questioned why anyone thought he would be brought in to be a GM or help pick one. That doesn't necessarily fit together for me. With that said, I really don't know his specific knowledge base or skill set. Perhaps he is suited for something in the front office. Can't say he isn't, based simply on what we know he has done. He might have some value to the team as a negotiator or consultant to Pegula (if Pegula respects his analysis and judgement). But I imagine he has some better options if he is as good as the OP believes.

I don't know much about France and couldn't find out a lot about him, although he is highly respected. Some top agents are just very good at their jobs and they do a lot of work and really know the marketplace for players. Some also really know the game and the league. I'd say there are only a few of them, and have no clue as to what France may or may not know. But if you are a very good agent, who really knows the league, that is quite good training for the GM job in some important aspects. If you also spent some time as a scout and or working in the personnel department of a team that is also invaluable experience, like Whaley. Probably much better experience than a top highly qualified agent. But good agents know their stuff, they are just usually tough ass disingenuous pricks of the highest order, but have to be to be good at their jobs.

If thus France guy is worth his salt, he will fire Russ Brandon as the first order of business.

FYI for all of those people who defend Brandon: you are not shareholders of the business. It should not matter to you what he does on the business side of things and whether those initiatives are successful or not. As a fan, what should matter is the product on the field. And it has sucked since 2009.

He has headed an inept organization since 2009 that has placed profits above winning. He cares about keeping fans interested, not winning, hence the "bold moves" that no one else in the league would consider.

Russ wasn't given full control of the entire operation as president until the end of the 2012 season (Dec. 31, I believe). So he is responsible for the hiring of Marrone, the promotion of Whaley, and what has transpired since. He's not making football decisions, so your points above have no merit. If you think he should have already fired Marrone and Whaley, well, that's just incredibly short-sighted.

<sigh> Russ is already solely on the business side. This has been discussed over and over again. Russ isn't making football decisions.

Please...Do you really believe he plays no role? We know he negotiated the Brown trade. We know he is actively involved in the draft room, offering input. We know that he threw down the marker to make a "bold" move. We know that our original GM search was as weak as it was precisely because he wanted to retain power over football decision. He has the same itch for football decisions as Jerry Jones. And he's not giving that authority up as long as he's employed at OBD. That's why he needs to be terminated.

Please...Do you really believe he plays no role? We know he negotiated the Brown trade. We know he is actively involved in the draft room, offering input. We know that he threw down the marker to make a "bold" move. We know that our original GM search was as weak as it was precisely because he wanted to retain power over football decision. He has the same itch for football decisions as Jerry Jones. And he's not giving that authority up as long as he's employed at OBD. That's why he needs to be terminated.

This is all pure speculation on your part.

Stayin' :thumbsup: