Corey Graham should start at CB opp Gilmore

26TrapDraw

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is, IMO, a non-issue. CBs get plenty of snaps in the NFL for every team. Teams play nickel more than 60% of plays now, so every team's base D includes at least 3 CBs. The nice thing is that, when healthy, Buffalo can rotate 3 boundary CBs (Gilmore, Graham, McKelvin) and 2 slot CBs (Graham and Robey) to keep guys fresh.

They also have the ability to play Graham as a flex safety if they want to run a big nickel or a dime package.

This, of course, isn't accounting for injury.

All of them are going to play, so nothing to concern ourselves with IMO.

You nailed it. I just jumped on TBD and exactly what I was thinking. I would keep Gilmore out until he is truly healthy. As far as last year, Gilmore was part of a top 4 pass defense last year.

Just my opinion, Gilmore would've gotten flagged when Graham avoided the flags on some tight coverage.

There is actually no way to know this and there is no way to say "flat out" we would have lost. . Gilmore is a good corner and we should be glad he is on the team. Do you still want Marrone and his cronies gone? Should we have played Orton yesterday? We won becuase we were the better team. Football is the ultimate team sport.

Edited by buffalopdc

I know this isnt the end all be all for figuring out who should start but this is what PFF had to say about McKelvin and Graham:

Buffalo Bills–Performances of Note

Leodis McKelvin, CB: -2.4

Breakdown: Fans typically hope the leading tackler on their defense is a linebacker, or perhaps the strong safety. But when your starting corner leads the team with 10 tackles, things weren’t so rosy. Targeted a staggering 14 times, McKelvin surrendered 10 catches for 139 yards.

Signature Stat: The 5-foot-11 McKelvin had a rough go against Chicago’s towering wideouts. Marshall and Jeffery combined to go 8-of-10 for 118 yards and a touchdown when working against him.

PFF Game Ball

Swimming in a sea of red coverage grades, free agent pickup Corey Graham made an excellent first impression with a +3.3 mark. Back-to-back pass defenses in the fourth quarter killed a late rally and fit in nicely on the stat sheet with his earlier interception.

There is actually no way to know this and there is no way to say "flat out" we wold have lost. . Gilmore is a good corner and we should be glad he is on the team. Do you still want Marrone and his cronies gone? Should we have played Orton yesterday? We won becuase we were the better team. Football is the ultimate team sport.

Gilmore actually does have a track record of getting flagged on those coverages that Graham avoided the flag, so yeah, I can and will say we would have flat out lost, because those penalties would've been lethal. Not a fan of Marrone, but time will take care of that.

Gilmore actually does have a track record of getting flagged on those coverages that Graham avoided the flag, so yeah, I can and will say we would have flat out lost, because those penalties would've been lethal. Not a fan of Marrone, but time will take care of that.

Non-issue. Getting Gilmore back will only help the defense. I have faith in this coaching staff(Wow haven't said that in a while)to make the right decision.

A track record is not proof for what or what not would have happened. You are making an inference or an educated guess. I am glad they are both on the team.

This is, IMO, a non-issue. CBs get plenty of snaps in the NFL for every team. Teams play nickel more than 60% of plays now, so every team's base D includes at least 3 CBs. The nice thing is that, when healthy, Buffalo can rotate 3 boundary CBs (Gilmore, Graham, McKelvin) and 2 slot CBs (Graham and Robey) to keep guys fresh.

They also have the ability to play Graham as a flex safety if they want to run a big nickel or a dime package.

This, of course, isn't accounting for injury.

All of them are going to play, so nothing to concern ourselves with IMO.

You got it. Most all of the DBs get plenty of work. Too much concern about the "starter" I never quite got.

But since Gillmore might not be 100% yet (and I'd rather he not have this nagging injury all year), I'm very glad we have Graham.

BTW, do we have a Rivers injury update yet?

Gilmore practiced fully yesterday and said he feel's much better than last week. The Bills have to start Graham IMO and demote McKelvin to the dime coverage. McKelvin looks really rusty coming off the hip surgery.

I am really hopeful Gilmore is back because if AW can't go we will need Graham at FS. Either way, having all of them is the best because it allows Schwartz the most flexibility with subpackages. Graham has looked better than McK but it was just one game. McK just didn't get a lot of work this PS so maybe that was it, or the quality of the WR he faced. OT but I would much prefer to see McK on PR instead of Fred!

I am really hopeful Gilmore is back because if AW can't go we will need Graham at FS. Either way, having all of them is the best because it allows Schwartz the most flexibility with subpackages. Graham has looked better than McK but it was just one game. McK just didn't get a lot of work this PS so maybe that was it, or the quality of the WR he faced. OT but I would much prefer to see McK on PR instead of Fred!

If AW is on the shelf, I think Duke Williams gets the start at Safety. The Dolphins passing game doesn't scare me at all and I believe he'd do just fine.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

At this point I'm more worried about Gilmore's cover skills than McKelvin's. Not because he has been bad, but rather because his game might not work with the updated rules and was burned a few times in the preseason. We'll see...

No matter what, Graham is a nice problem to have, he's already proven his worth. Keep him on the field, as a CB, S, whatever.

I'd like to see how he does when the games count. I thought he was, actually, VERY unaggressive in the preseason. I thought it could be his decision to come out of the preseason uninjured so he did not do his standard bump at the line. THAT is still legal within 5 yards of the LOS. Now, if he gets burned on Sunday or gets called for a lot of illegal contacts, that would prove my premise wrong. Until then, however, I basically disregarded his play in the preseason as simply him going through the motions but not playing his game.

We flat out lose that game yesterday if Gilmore had started over Graham.

How can you say that? Graham was covering a tight end in the slot on his pick. He would have been there anyway.

Gilmore was good to great in the second half of the last two seasons.

McKelvin had a sure pick bounce off of his chest in OT...

I'd say get them all on the field before we decide who's best.

I vividly remember Gilmore shutting down Fitzgerald, Blackmon and AJ green. He's had games where he successfully locked horns with the best and delivered. And he's been smoked too.

But that is true of all three of these guys. I like our DB depth and they should all see significant snaps. No one is a shut down guy just yet But I like Gilmore on Wallace over anyone else.

If AW is on the shelf, I think Duke Williams gets the start at Safety. The Dolphins passing game doesn't scare me at all and I believe he'd He do just fine.

Safety is a weakness without AW out there.

Gilmore practiced fully yesterday and said he feel's much better than last week. The Bills have to start Graham IMO and demote McKelvin to the dime coverage. McKelvin looks really rusty coming off the hip surgery.

McKelvin is a good DB after the catch. His strength is not preventing the catch.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

How can you say that? Graham was covering a tight end in the slot on his pick. He would have been there anyway.

Gilmore was good to great in the second half of the last two seasons.

McKelvin had a sure pick bounce off of his chest in OT...

I'd say get them all on the field before we decide who's best.

I vividly remember Gilmore shutting down Fitzgerald, Blackmon and AJ green. He's had games where he successfully locked horns with the best and delivered. And he's been smoked too.

But that is true of all three of these guys. I like our DB depth and they should all see significant snaps. No one is a shut down guy just yet But I like Gilmore on Wallace over anyone else.

Safety is a weakness without AW out there.

McKelvin is a good DB after the catch. His strength is not preventing the catch.

I'm just happy the CB position has been improved to the point where we won't have to see the likes of marginally talented Justin Rogers types running behind wide open WRs.

It's all about matchups.

McKelvin is best against speed guys and should matchup well with Wallace. Him trying to cover Jeffrey or Marshall is tough. I thought he fought hard and made an impact play forcing that fumble from Marshall.

Graham is a versatile guy who can cover pretty well all kinds of types. Gilmore matches up well against big, physical and athletic #1s most times. He should be with Hartline this week and it could be a tough matchup for him.