Board Performance

SDS

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you suspect it is database issues, many times it is disk I/O. If you host the database on the same server as the web server, chances are the drives are configured for serving web pages, and not the transactional nature of a database.

If you have an easy way to archive, that's probably your best bet. Also make sure you have proper indexing and standard database maintenance (nightly reindex, transaction log maintenance, updating statistics on a regular basis, etc.)

Or you could try the brute force method and either throw more hardware at it or move it to Amazon (or other cloud service of choice). Just my $.02.

To be honest, I have not looked into these new server implementations. I assume Amazon knows how to do these things. I pay $310/month... The hardware is great, but I think we are just hitting the limit when too many requests come in at the same time. I assume RAM is the culprit here, but that's just my gut...

What can we save by jettisoning PPP?

Be careful there Einstein... That's like launching nuclear waste towards the sun! One little screw up and we are done!

You don't spit into the wind, tug on Superman's cape, pull the mask off the ole Lone Ranger and...

;-P ;-P

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Be careful there Eintstein... That's like launching nuclear waste towards the sun! One little screw up and we are done!

You don't spit into the wind, tug on Superman's cape, pull the mask of the ole Lone Ranger and...

;-P ;-P

1. When calling someone Einstein in a sarcastic manner, it is best to make sure your spelling of Einstein is correct.

2. I'm willing to take that risk.

Ohhh boy...that's like throwing raw meat out the door. Here come the coyotes. Good luck. :lol:

It's more like throwing raw, rancid, wormy meat over the neighbor's fence.

Edited by Captain Caveman

With over 3 million posts in the database, things are starting to creak, if not actually break down. Although I haven't officially diagnosed database size as being the reason it is slower these days, it seems to have gotten progressively worse as the seasons pass.

So, that's an issue. I'm open to suggestions on how to handle this.

Given that this is database size driven, I could possibly buy another license of IPB and offload a decade worth of posts, make it archive only. This will affect post counts, etc... on active board.

I could just also just delete those posts. Not a big fan of that option.

Or, perhaps there is a server tweak I have missed or there is something happening in the background that is causing the long page load times. Regardless, I'll need a plan of action for this season...

Thoughts?

I'm not sure I can help, technically. But, if you find the problem can be resolved with some sort of upgrade in hardware and need monetary assistance, don't hesitate to ask. You've given me more than you'll ever know with this place and I'm in a position, finally, to help if needed.

Dan

Would logging into the shoutbox independentely help matters ? I'm just speculating but it seems like the shoutbox has grown very popular. Is it possible the heavy shoutbox usage is slowing down the sites overall performance?.

Myself personally, I spend most of my time in the shoutbox and don't have to be logged into the actual forums 24/7

Deano might have some good ideas...

Edited by Donald Duck