Insights Gleaned from the SEA-GB Game

It was difficult to watch two high-powered teams and not think about Sunday's opener. Some thoughts, for what they're worth:

1. We are so close but so far but so close. There were many moments that illustrated how a 6-10 season becomes a 10-6, e.g., SEA TE Zach Miller making an impressive one-handed grab down the sideline.

2. That catch also illustrated the value of a TE that can block and catch passes on patterns other than over the middle.

3. There was one play where Aaron Rodgers hit his fourth option--but not the one I was staring at. The other one near the sideline. This made me appreciate the simplicity and complexity of what EJ has to do. (Also, the level of talent that Rodgers and Wilson possess.)

4. Beast Mode was apparent last night, but the other SEA running back had an O-line in front of him that was opening holes. I can't even remember his name, but I remember the chunks of yardage he picked up.

5. Percy Harvin is a WR, but his plays made me think about what everyone here has been saying about getting Spiller into space and using him more in the passing game.

6. Watching Peppers and Matthews crush Wilson on a sack reminded me of what a difference our D could make. Edit: And, oh sh*t, these two LBs are part of our December schedule. I hope the O-line gels, or EJ/Kyle are going to have a long day.

7. Watching the skill of Seattle DBs reminded me of how far we have to go, and how quickly a game against a potent passing attack can go south.

8. I thought a lot about the Bills of the early 90s. Seatte's defense is a thing to behold, as was ours.

9. Better days are coming. Unlike the early 90s, however, the Bills don't have the luxury of letting players develop. Whether Orton was a good move is debatable, but I am damned glad he is here.

10. On Sunday, the boys and I will put on Bills jerseys (23, 94, 95, 14) and head to the first-ever gathering of the new Bills Backers of Lynchburg, Virginia (I started it last week) at the Stoney Badger Tavern. We'll sit with other Bills fans for three three hours hoping we'll see the return of a winning team.

11. I've been elated and depressed by this team for almost 48 years. It's all I know, and I could never imagine being a fan of any other team.

12. Go Bills!

Edited by Rivermont Mike

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And the harvin comment is not just spiller but Sammy. I'm cautiously optimistic that we will see it, but the lack of it last year (whether Spillers injury, limited playbooks, oline issues) does nag at me a little. I've got to hope they wouldn't pay that price without having it planned.

I saw Seattle use the screens, sweeps and Harvin in motion with impressive results. Green Bay had no answer for it all night long.

You see if I am Nate Hackett I brush my ego aside a little bit and pull some of those screens out from the Chan days and I always have at least one receiver in motion.

#5 reminds me what we may possibly have with a healthy Watkins!

And the harvin comment is not just spiller but Sammy. I'm cautiously optimistic that we will see it, but the lack of it last year (whether Spillers injury, limited playbooks, oline issues) does nag at me a little. I've got to hope they wouldn't pay that price without having it planned.

Just saw this. Hadn't refreshed my screen for a while lol. Beat me to it!

#5 reminds me what we may possibly have with a healthy Watkins!

Just saw this. Hadn't refreshed my screen for a while lol. Beat me to it!

whats interesting is we have two guys that have that elite talent in space now. there arent a lot of guys that can do the things that a spiller is capable of, or we hope sammy can translate to the nfl... and we have 2 of them.

even with a young qb, and some question marks on the OL.... our OC should be able to put on a bit of a show.

6. Watching Peppers and Matthews crush Wilson on a sack reminded me of what a difference our D could make. Edit: And, oh sh*t, these two LBs are part of our December schedule. I hope the O-line gels, or EJ/Kyle are going to have a long day.

I will take GB over Seattle, so glad the Bills don't face them this season. Seattle's D is out to punish opponents. I saw more than a few headshots and border line cheap plays, they are a dirty nasty unit. So jealous!

Seattle made Aaron Rodgers look like Trent Edwards. At one point Rodgers only had 4 attempts over 11 yards.

Sherman took away half the field for Rodgers, he didn't throw in his direction a single time.

Wilson's football IQ is unmeasurable.

Lynch was a beast.

Seattle's coaching and execution was incredible.

We have a long way to go, we are JV to these two teams.

Seattle's center was getting a 3-4 yard push on most run plays. Very impressive. Gotta match Seattle's violence to have any chance against them. Better version of the old Houston Oilers 'House of Pain'. Watching Wilson and Rodgers, EJ needs to play faster and be more decisive.

How about the fact that both Rodgers and Wilson are extremely patient QBs who take time to let plays develop? Additionally, both are quite adept at making something out of nothing when plays break down.

What I loved was Seattle's playcalling. Very simple stuff-- but successful in getting Wilson a lot more time. They ran several really nice roll-outs, play-actions, read-options, where Wilson was just out of the pocket with oodles of time to either throw or run. Would love to see us run those plays.

As others have said, the use of Harvin was simple and effective--something we have the players to do. You could use Spiller, Watkins, or even Goodwin for that same Harvin role. The thing that Seattle did well, though, was run those Harvin plays very precisely. The quick passes to him were accurate, quickly released, and in front of him. The sweeps were well-timed and well-blocked.

As badly as Seattle beat up Green Bay. Rogers still at least kept it interesting.

You like the Packers' rookie TE? Cool!

What I loved was Seattle's playcalling. Very simple stuff-- but successful in getting Wilson a lot more time. They ran several really nice roll-outs, play-actions, read-options, where Wilson was just out of the pocket with oodles of time to either throw or run. Would love to see us run those plays.

As others have said, the use of Harvin was simple and effective--something we have the players to do. You could use Spiller, Watkins, or even Goodwin for that same Harvin role. The thing that Seattle did well, though, was run those Harvin plays very precisely. The quick passes to him were accurate, quickly released, and in front of him. The sweeps were well-timed and well-blocked.

Seattle dominates the LoS on both offense and defense. Old fashioned football still works. Ask Peyton Manning.