Michael Sam is cut - should we sign him?(Update - signed in Big D)

YoloinOhio

The questions is: if he was just another player whom we knew nothing much about, would the reigning SEC defensive player of the year (who had 3 preseason sacks) not be on someone's practice squad?

I suspect that "coming out" may have cost this kid a shot at the NFL.

"Coming out..." still resulted in Sam being Drafted into the NFL in the 7th round (right about where he should have been Drafted based on his Combine and Pro Day...SEC DPotY or not, the NFL is a HUGE jump)... Better than 50% of players Drafted in that round manage to stick on an NFL rosters...So "coming out" did not cost the kid anything...

From the moment the kid was Drafted the hype machine went into full throttle...NFLN and ESPN were all over the Rams facility like bums on bologna sandwiches the minute Sam was Drafted...Oprah wanted to do a Reality Show staring Sam that quickly got nixed...The NFL and the Rams had no idea the show had been planned, and after a quick meeting it got shelved...Wonder why? Then we got the almost daily reporting of Sam's progress at Rams Camp including his showering habits...Teammates were having to answer the dumbest questions ever...All this on a team that already had good depth at DE...

If you want to blame anyone for costing Sam his initial NFL shot blame the media and the absolute endless agenda pushing circus...The Michael Sam story is an important one, but there are limits to what NFL teams are willing to put up with...The saddest part of this whole deal is that Sam did not get to have full control over his own NFL destiny...And besides being a little naive to the length some would go to prop him up as the face of a movement that is completely undeterred by the possibility that it could actually hurt his NFL dream, he really did nothing wrong... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The questions is: if he was just another player whom we knew nothing much about, would the reigning SEC defensive player of the year (who had 3 preseason sacks) not be on someone's practice squad?

I suspect that "coming out" may have cost this kid a shot at the NFL.

Probably, thanks to the media idiots. Wood is right.

i was going to avoid it but.... well.... to say he shouldnt be employed by a football team you like is pretty disrespectful. you have chosen your side of the fence by not being gay. the rest is you going around the fence and messing up his lawn.

Standing ovation.

Yes I do...because it is. Bills D line is better than the Rams, and needs zero upgrading at this point. QBs on the other hand...or punters or return men...now you're talking.

I don't have much of an opinion about signing Sam, but seriously do you watch football? The Rams have the best D line in the NFL.

"Coming out..." still resulted in Sam being Drafted into the NFL in the 7th round... Better than 50% of players Drafted in that round manage to stick on an NFL rosters...So "coming out" did not cost the kid anything...

From the moment the kid was Drafted the hype machine went into full throttle...NFLN and ESPN were all over the Rams facility like bums on bologna sandwiches the minute Sam was Drafted...Oprah wanted to do a Reality Show staring Sam that quickly got nixed...The NFL and the Rams had no idea the show had been planned, and after a quick meeting it got shelved...Wonder why? Then we got the almost daily reporting of Sam's progress at Rams Camp including his showering habits...Teammates were having to answer the dumbest questions ever...All this on a team that already had good depth at DE...

If you want to blame anyone for costing Sam his initial NFL shot blame the media and the absolute endless agenda pushing circus...The Michael Sam story is an important one, but there are limits to what NFL teams are willing to put up with...The saddest part of this whole deal is that Sam did not get to have full control over his own NFL destiny...And besides being a little naive to the length some would go to prop him up as the face of a movement that is completely undeterred by the possibility that it could actually hurt his NFL dream, he really did nothing wrong... B-)

Absolutely right. I think he showed enough in the preseason to warrant a chance on a practice squad. However, it is going to be tough for this kid to land with another team and it is not his fault. I posted this in another thread, but it is appropriate here: I think Eric Wood was right to call out ESPN for their obsessive coverage of Michael Sam; however, it was more than just ESPN. I feel bad for Michael Sam. It should have simply been a feel good story of a young man who had the courage to be who he was, and an organization, in a sport that epitomizes traditional views of masculinity, giving him the opportunity to achieve his dream. At this point in time, an openly gay player joining an NFL team should have generated nothing more than such sentiments. Unfortunately, it was never going to be that simple. The collective media, in its never ending quest for sensationalism, rather than just reporting, did the very thing they would eagerly crucify anyone else for doing: singling him out for being different and hindering his chances for success because of it.

I wish him well.

Only if they think he's better than what they have. He doesn't 'deserve' a chance any more than anyone else does.

And I think what you are finding is a lot of people saying they think he's good enough to be working in the nfl now, even if he's a fringe guy. I didn't watch much, if any, of his preseason but I am seeing that sentiment from football guys too at this point.

And I think what you are finding is a lot of people saying they think he's good enough to be working in the nfl now, even if he's a fringe guy. I didn't watch much, if any, of his preseason but I am seeing that sentiment from football guys too at this point.

Therein lies the problem. Even they admit he's a fringe player in the NFL and those types are a dime a dozen.

Because LB isn't a position we don't have depth in. Just like we're good at QB, right?

QB argument aside, since when did LB depth become a problem for the Bills? I thought Bradham and Brown are doing well in place of Kiko? Is Sam some kind of slam dunk?

I think that's right and comes as no surprise. If he was really good, he'd be on someone's 53 man roster because then dealing with the 24x7 idiocy from ESPN and mouthbreathers everywhere who swallow whatever the media tells them might be worth it. But it's definitely NOT worth it when the guy is no more than the fringe PS-level player.

I feel bad for Michael Sam -- he was used by the media as the story du jour and that may have killed his chances of sticking in the NFL. In 25 years we'll hear some NFL player thanking Michael Sam for 'breaking down barriers', when in reality the largest barrier for Sam was the one constructed by the media.

@JaySkurski

BN Blitz: #Bills should get over any 'distraction' Michael Sam might bring and give him a chance http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/09/01/bills-get-distraction-michael-sam-might-bring-give-chance-2/ …

via @TheBuffaloNews

Translation: I need more controversy to write about.

Therein lies the problem. Even they admit he's a fringe player in the NFL and those types are a dime a dozen.

And a dozen of them are employed by every team.... If the guys fringe for the 53 there are 320 practice squad spots additionally open. We will see though - he may be doing quiet conversations behind the scenes to find the right landing spot too. Maybe he's simply not good enough- but I thought he'd get atleast a practice squad nod somewhere between seeing his college production, hearing about his preseason production but knowing he has limitations too. Late rounds and sticking somewhere is probably pretty reasonable for projections.

Edited by NoSaint