Michael Sam is cut - should we sign him?(Update - signed in Big D)

YoloinOhio

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. I think the NFL should have stayed out of it.

they probably should have, but they have gotten in it before for other high profile guys with PR question marks. Im assuming it amounted to "we know there is potential for media attention - we will help you with all that, just make the evaluation on the guys play" and not "come on guys, one of you HAS to do it"

they probably should have, but they have gotten in it before for other high profile guys with PR question marks. Im assuming it amounted to "we know there is potential for media attention - we will help you with all that, just make the evaluation on the guys play" and not "come on guys, one of you HAS to do it"

I think they wanted to avoid the mounting pressure from the liberal media who were charging the league with homophobia.

I hope it's more this than anything else.

Honestly, the guy showed as much as any practice squad player could be asked for, so there's no reason why not, based on play.

This tactic seems reasonable. Forcing anything on a team isn't.

Any issue with the nfl reaching out to teams on behalf of Sam?

@vinceharris1208: Report: NFL Officials Asked Teams To Consider Signing Michael Sam To Practice Squad Via @dailycaller http://t.co/opHjjPXtSQ

This should have been obvious to everyone the moment Jerry Jones decided to put a player no one wanted on his practice squad for whatever change he found in his sofa.

I hope it's more this than anything else.

Honestly, the guy showed as much as any practice squad player could be asked for, so there's no reason why not, based on play.

This tactic seems reasonable. Forcing anything on a team isn't.

and i think its pretty plausible. the nfl is there to be a support organization for the teams (and players). if one of them is in a weird spot with the media, they should be helping to manage the situation -- but definitely not forcing a team to put a guy on the roster

Perhaps we should begin with the most accurate summary, and methodology, of this story:

1. Leftist media, complete w/ agenda

2. Micheal Sam is gay

3. ????

4. Profit!

Or a more "substantial" :lol: representation?

1. Jerry Jones

2. Leftist media w/ agenda

3. Leftist agenda story in serious peril...due to incontrovertible fact that Sam does not make team for football, not prejudicial, reasons.

4. NFL wanted this story badly. They wanted it so badly, because they wanted to turn around and counter-harrumph their neighbors and friends in Manhattan, who had harrumphed them for not drafting Sam until the 7th round.

5. The NFL wanted to proudly proclaim "Our System Works!....for all colors, all creeds, all choices of bed partners. We are the enlightened ones, and you were overzealous in your criticism of us! Sam was drafted where he should have been, and made the team as a ST player and a backup, as WE expected. How dare you question our motives, or our knowledge of our own business! In fact, you are now never allowed to question us again!"

....because when isn't the NFL looking to put itself beyond all reproach? When doesn't it consider itself as such? Ray Rice anyone? :lol:

6. Jerry Jones "takes one for the team". Which is of course utterly laughable in every single way.

7. Everyone leaves story with their self-applied moral superiority firmly intact, not to mention their egos assuaged.

8. Profit!

Conclusion: There were enough attention-addicted assclowns involved, plus an agenda that is based solely on self-congratulation = "Look at how moral I am! I'm more moral than you are! I like Micheal Sam because he is gay, and you don't, because he is gay!", that a simple "compromise" was necessary and proposed.....for this to work out in everyone's best interest.

Except of course the guy that was cut to make room for Sam on the PS.

But, he hardly matters, not when there's phony moral superiority to be had.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Perhaps we should begin with the most accurate summary, and methodology, of this story:

1. Leftist media, complete w/ agenda

2. Micheal Sam is gay

3. ????

4. Profit!

Or a more "substantial" :lol: representation?

1. Jerry Jones

2. Leftist media w/ agenda

3. Leftist agenda story in serious peril...due to incontrovertible fact that Sam does not make team for football, not prejudicial, reasons.

4. NFL wanted this story badly. They wanted it so badly, because they wanted to turn around and counter-harrumph their neighbors and friends in Manhattan, who had harrumphed them for not drafting Sam until the 7th round.

5. The NFL wanted to proudly proclaim "Our System Works!....for all colors, all creeds, all choices of bed partners. We are the enlightened ones, and you were overzealous in your criticism of us! Sam was drafted where he should have been, and made the team as a ST player and a backup, as WE expected. How dare you question our motives, or our knowledge of our own business! In fact, you are now never allowed to question us again!"

....because when isn't the NFL looking to put itself beyond all reproach? When doesn't it consider itself as such? Ray Rice anyone? :lol:

6. Jerry Jones "takes one for the team". Which is of course utterly laughable in every single way.

7. Everyone leaves story with their self-applied moral superiority firmly intact, not to mention their egos assuaged.

8. Profit!

Conclusion: There were enough attention-addicted assclowns involved, plus an agenda that is based solely on self-congratulation = "Look at how moral I am! I'm more moral than you are! I like Micheal Sam because he is gay, and you don't, because he is gay!", that a simple "compromise" was necessary and proposed.....for this to work out in everyone's best interest.

Except of course the guy that was cut to make room for Sam on the PS.

But, he hardly matters, not when there's phony moral superiority to be had.

would that be the same leftist sports media that employs the vociferously pro life, conservative Christian Tim Tebow?

everyone sees bias where they don't see their version of the truth covered. in reality, the only bias is towards whatever is going to secure the most eyeballs, pageviews, readers, listeners, etc. And old schoolers are feeling pretty butthurt that a single gay person narrative is encroaching on their manly territory. But they'll get over it.

would that be the same leftist sports media that employs the vociferously pro life, conservative Christian Tim Tebow?

everyone sees bias where they don't see their version of the truth covered. in reality, the only bias is towards whatever is going to secure the most eyeballs, pageviews, readers, listeners, etc. And it's usuI know old schoolers are feeling pretty butthurt that a single gay person narrative is encroaching on their manly territory. But they'll get over it.

Using the term "butt hurt" like that is at least as offensive as joking about lisps. I'm ashamed of you.

Edited by Rob's House

everyone sees bias where they don't see their version of the truth covered. in reality, the only bias is towards whatever is going to secure the most eyeballs, pageviews, readers, listeners, etc. And old schoolers are feeling pretty butthurt that a single gay person narrative is encroaching on their manly territory. But they'll get over it.

You're telling me you're too affected to see what is right in front of your nose? Um, OK, I have an idea. Let's play poker! Don't bring more than you can lose though, seriously. I have no wish to put a fellow Bills fan on the street. You'll get over it. I'll even pay your way home.

My behavior, year in and year out, has been constant: I read the same draft websites, watch the same shows, do my film study. Suddenly, this year, instead of getting 100% of the draft content I'm used to I only got ~60%, with the other 40% being about Sam. That's fact.

Who is responsible for that? Me? I'm not doing anything differently. I didn't choose to make this non-story into a story. Encroachment? You sure you want to stop there? How about aggrandizement? How about self-aggrandizement...especially from the "I thought Sam should have gone higher, dammit! Injustice!" people?

And if you think Tebow's pre-draft hype in any way even compares to Sam's? You need your eyeballs...checked. Professionally. Tebow didn't even get as much pre-draft hype as Manziel. In terms of an awful:

draft hype

/

NFL production

ratio? Sam is now down in Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, Brian Bosworth territory :lol:(the horror, the horror....), and that's due to a massive increase in the numerator, not the denominator. I'll ask again, whose agenda is reponsible for the size of that numerator? Mine? :lol:

If we are going carelessly toss around aspersions, here's one for you: The entire Manziel obsessive media behavior, is directly due to their feeling butthurt that Sam, for all their hype/story creation...only got drafted in the 7th round. So, they had to go looking for problems with Manziel, the privleged white kid, where none really existed.

You, know....cause...privilege justice!

See? I can toss around aspersions too!

Edited by OCinBuffalo

You're telling me you're too affected to see what is right in front of your nose? Um, OK, I have an idea. Let's play poker! Don't bring more than you can lose though, seriously. I have no wish to put a fellow Bills fan on the street. You'll get over it. I'll even pay your way home.

My behavior, year in and year out, has been constant: I read the same draft websites, watch the same shows, do my film study. Suddenly, this year, instead of getting 100% of the draft content I'm used to I only got ~60%, with the other 40% being about Sam. That's fact.

Who is responsible for that? Me? I'm not doing anything differently. I didn't choose to make this non-story into a story. Encroachment? You sure you want to stop there? How about aggrandizement? How about self-aggrandizement...especially from the "I thought Sam should have gone higher, dammit! Injustice!" people?

And if you think Tebow's pre-draft hype in any way even compares to Sam's? You need your eyeballs...checked. Professionally. Tebow didn't even get as much pre-draft hype as Manziel. In terms of an awful:

draft hype

/

NFL production

ratio? Sam is now down in Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, Brian Bosworth territory :lol:(the horror, the horror....), and that's due to a massive increase in the numerator, not the denominator. I'll ask again, whose agenda is reponsible for the size of that numerator? Mine? :lol:

If we are going carelessly toss around aspersions, here's one for you: The entire Manziel obsessive media behavior, is directly due to their feeling butthurt that Sam, for all their hype/story creation...only got drafted in the 7th round. So, they had to go looking for problems with Manziel, the privleged white kid, where none really existed.

That's pretty rich given that Maniel has been under the microscope since long before Sam was a household name. Last summer all the stories were about him having skipped Mannng's camp, partying, etc. Manziel is the one American not responsible for his actions amirite? It's all the big bad media tearing the guy down.

That's pretty rich given that Maniel has been under the microscope since long before Sam was a household name. Last summer all the stories were about him having skipped Mannng's camp, partying, etc. Manziel is the one American not responsible for his actions amirite? It's all the big bad media tearing the guy down.

What in the end, did Manziel do, besides get his picture taken?

Where was/is the story?

We could ask ourself the same question about Sam. Where was/is the story? I grant there was a new draft day image...that was unique for that 15 minutes...but, that nobody cares about today. I mean, are you going to have that screen shot of "Sam gets the call!" hanging on the wall of your office? :lol:

See, I used Manziel for this very reason. Other than the "Worldwide Leader in Sports" suddenly, for reasons passing understanding, trying to compete with TMZ, where the F is the meat on these bones? Nowhere!

No. The ONLY thing here IS agenda, and then, projection. The average football draft afficianado cares about a DE, because maybe his team needs a good one. He rejects the Sam story as meaningless to his analysis of his team's needs...and suddenly he is projected as having anti-gay agenda? :blink: How the F did we get here?

Answer: projection. The leftist media clearly has a "not just tolerance, forced acceptance for gays" agenda. Thus, they have to run around and project that no, in fact, it's everybody else that has the agenda(NFL, NFL coaches, players, fans), not them. :rolleyes: Everyone who isn't with them, is against them, and as Obi Wan says "only a Sith thinks like that".

All we want is to do our mock drafts, and argue about O lineman vs. DBs, like we do every year. None of us asked to be included in the "debate"

In fact, there is no debate, for anybody that knows football: a slow, tweener DE should get cut from a standard 4-3 team. Of course he should. They should never have wasted a draft pick on the guy.

But, apparently me knowing football, and of course, not having majored in the social "sciences", and being older than 22, allows you to tell me that I have an anti-gay agenda, and am also actully butthurt about something :wacko:...that I considered nothing more than an annoyance, in that it obstructed me from getting the draft info I wanted, right?

Yeah, you're not projecting anything onto me at all. :lol:

What in the end, did Manziel do, besides get his picture taken?

Where was/is the story?

The story is that perhaps he courts the limelight and wants attention more than he wants to put his nose to the grindstone and focus on his football career. If that's a mistaken impression, he sure isn't doing a lot to dispel it.

We could ask ourself the same question about Sam. Where was/is the story? I grant there was a new draft day image...that was unique for that 15 minutes...but, that nobody cares about today. I mean, are you going to have that screen shot of "Sam gets the call!" hanging on the wall of your office? :lol:

I'll grant that I watch precious little of the draft because I have young kids, little time for it that time of year in my schedule, and I think the best stuff is written and not on TV. I don't care. If you say that ESPN overblew the coverage of Sam, I believe it. Is that exactly Sam's fault? I'm going to say that I think he was probably a little naive to think he could let them use his story and have it not blow up. It's an indicator that despite what you think, people do care… but sure, not for the right reasons.

No. The ONLY thing here IS agenda, and then, projection. The average football draft afficianado cares about a DE, because maybe his team needs a good one. He rejects the Sam story as meaningless to his analysis of his team's needs...and suddenly he is projected as having anti-gay agenda? :blink: How the F did we get here?

Well, simple answer. If you're not the guy in this thread saying you wouldn't want Sam on your team - even if the team thinks he is good enough at football - I'm not referring to you. If you're not the person saying point blank that he isn't good enough, when maybe he is, I'm not referring to you. If you're not the person denying that a team might be interested but avoiding the situation, based on something other than football merits, then I'm not referring to you. I never wrote that you personally have some kind of anti-gay agenda.

I do think that there is backlash, and it's pretty hard to deny that based on what some have posted here.

Answer: projection. The leftist media clearly has a "not just tolerance, forced acceptance for gays" agenda. Thus, they have to run around and project that no, in fact, it's everybody else that has the agenda(NFL, NFL coaches, players, fans), not them. :rolleyes: Everyone who isn't with them, is against them, and as Obi Wan says "only a Sith thinks like that".

This leftist media is still a big phrase that everybody gets to use without really backing it up. Care to? Who owns big media? The reporters and producers of some outlets may lean left, but as someone who works in media, there is one parameter that controls coverage more than anything else, and it's green. I made an argument that the Sam story is collecting ratings, because ESPN knows it reaches casual fans and it gets some people angry, and they can make it sensational. Tebow was the same thing. They drilled it into the ground at the expense of people who cared about actual sports goings on. The thing is, they have for a long time taken for granted their sports-loving audience because they control a big share of the live broadcast market. So they've TMZ'd their coverage to attract even more eyeballs while knowing they aren't going to lose their longtime audience for long. They've got you, because where else are you going to watch prime time baseball, basketball, college football, pro football, college basketball, etc.

All we want is to do our mock drafts, and argue about O lineman vs. DBs, like we do every year. None of us asked to be included in the "debate"

In fact, there is no debate, for anybody that knows football: a slow, tweener DE should get cut from a standard 4-3 team. Of course he should. They should never have wasted a draft pick on the guy.

But maybe based on his play, and his college bona fides, someone picks him up. Gino Torretta hung around the NFL a couple years. Maybe Sam goes to Canada and proves himself there. Who knows. We refuse to write off guys with less pedigree.

But, apparently me knowing football, and of course, not having majored in the social "sciences", and being older than 22, allows you to tell me that I have an anti-gay agenda, and am also actully butthurt about something

:wacko:...that I considered nothing more than an annoyance, in that it obstructed me from getting the draft info I wanted, right?

Yeah, you're not projecting anything onto me at all. :lol:

You'd have to ask someone with that resume, dude. But you're also mighty defensive for someone who doesn't fit the description -- because I never once called you out as having an anti-gay agenda. It sounds exactly like you're upset that the Sam coverage is crowding into your football interest. I argue that stupid human interest crap has been crowding into the football coverage the whole time.

All I will say is that I think if Sam had come out of college without coming out, he may or may not have made a roster and he would likely be getting another look somewhere with ease. He may be a slow tweener but players have overcome labels before. If no one knew that he was gay, the evaluation would either be entirely on the football merits, but maybe it would also have included some whispers about his sexuality, and that would have sucked, too.

If a dude can play, he should be able to play. That's the beginning and end of my agenda right there, and i hope that you will understand that.

EDIT: Also, I hope some realize that there are gay posters here who are very cool people, who aren't going to put themselves out there -- first because it's not anyone's business, but also because they don't want the abuse from the knuckle-dragging contingent. Joking is all good. But being nasty conjures up some things that most people have not had to deal with in their lives. Walk a mile.

draft hype

/

NFL production

If you are going to sites for you player "scouting and film study" and they are suddenly 40% Michael Sam (and another big chunk manziel) - I think you have to question your choices from the get go. TMZ sports probably shouldn't be your primary source.

Any issue with the nfl reaching out to teams on behalf of Sam?

@vinceharris1208: Report: NFL Officials Asked Teams To Consider Signing Michael Sam To Practice Squad Via @dailycaller http://t.co/opHjjPXtSQ

Apparently Peter King thinks it's an issue....and considering no one else bothered to run with this TMZish story, I would say no.