Why are so many so down on Tuel?

Mr. T

I really don't get why so many are quick to jump all over Jeff Tuel? For an undrafted QB only in his second year I think he has shown the potential to be a decent backup.

He looked REALLY good last year in preseason. So much so that many were calling for him to be given a shot to compete with EJ as a starter.

He was forced into the game with Cleveland last year when EJ got hurt, and laid an egg. He stunk. But that has happened to the best backup QBs. We all think of Frank Reich as a great backup because of the greatest comback in NFL history against Houston. But I also remember many other times he was forced in action where I would cringe when he dropped back to pass.

Many who jump all over Tuel as a terrible QB point to the pick six INT against KC that turned the game around just before half time. But three things need to be pointed out. First, up to that fateful pass he was actually playing better than EJ did in any game last year. Second, that pass was intended for Stevie Johnson, who broke off the designed pattern and freelanced (as most people finally acknowledge he did routinely), resulting in the defender stepping in front of the pass and taking it to the house. Third, the pass play should have NEVER been called to begin with. All of that was a recipe for disaster for any rookie QB.

As far as this year I think he has played the best out of all the Bills QBs. I know that is setting the bar low, but in my opinion he has shown more confidence, poise, mobility, and willingness to throw the ball down field than EJ.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in anyway calling for Tuel to be the Bills starting QB. That position belongs to EJ until he proves he doesn't deserve it any longer. EJ needs to be given a fair shot at developing into what we all hope he can. But I think the same holds true for Jeff Tuel in developing into a decent backup. At this point I think I've seen more out of Tuel becoming that decent backup, than I have in EJ becoming the franchise QB we all hope he will become.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like him because he habitually screws up the most inopportune time. Of course the KC game. The Cleveland game where we had a chance to win there if he could have done anything. Saturday night when he was running the 2:00 offense. Plus he is good for one good game per year, the first pre season game.

He has no business being the 2 nd string QB on our team which is what many on here have crowned him.

Maybe he had been playing better than any game EJ played (not sure I agree, but I'll play) but he ended up 18 for 39 for 229 yards 1 TD and 2 Ints where we were able to score a whopping 13 points. A game is 2 halfs, not one up until you make a bad play.

I don't understand why everyone is down on Thaddeus. He played well for us last year and we scored 17 - 24 points in games and we won 2. That's way more important than meaningless pre season games with scrubs.

Edited by reddogblitz

I don't like him because he habitually screws up the most inopportune time. Of course the KC game. The Cleveland game where we had a chance to win there if he could have done anything. Saturday night when he was running the 2:00 offense. Plus he is good for one good game per year, the first pre season game.

He has no business being the 2 nd string QB on our team which is what many on here have crowned him.

Maybe he had been playing better than any game EJ played (not sure I agree, but I'll play) but he ended up 18 for 39 for 229 yards 1 TD and 2 Ints where we were able to score a whopping 13 points. A game is 2 halfs, not one up until you make a bad play.

I don't understand why everyone is down on Thaddeus. He played well for us last year and we scored 17 - 24 points in games and we won 2. That's way more important than meaningless pre season games with scrubs.

I agree with you in that he has no business being the 2nd string QB on this team. But that is on the coaching staff and GM for allowing this situation to exist. My position is he has the potential to one day be a decent backup if given a chance.

And regarding Saturday's game and the two minute offense he ran. I actually thought he was very effective during that drive and almost finished it off with a very nice pass to Hagan that was less than a foot of endzone space away from a nice TD drive.

He's a good QB in preseason games against guys who might not make their team's 53 man roster. True, he plays with a lot of confidence. But he's not an NFL-caliber starting QB in any city outside of New York State.

Reminds me of SOOOOO many mediocre QBs we've had - Losman, Edwards, Kelly Holcomb, Alex, Collins. Didn't we love them all for at least 5 minutes?

Many who jump all over Tuel as a terrible QB point to the pick six INT against KC that turned the game around just before half time. But three things need to be pointed out. First, up to that fateful pass he was actually playing better than EJ did in any game last year. Second, that pass was intended for Stevie Johnson, who broke off the designed pattern and freelanced (as most people finally acknowledge he did routinely), resulting in the defender stepping in front of the pass and taking it to the house. Third, the pass play should have NEVER been called to begin with. All of that was a recipe for disaster for any rookie QB.

In the KC game the pass was not intended for SJ, it was intended for TJ Graham. SJ juked the DB out of his jock and drifted wide open across the back of the end zone. If Tuel had taken an extra second before throwing he would have had an easy TD to SJ, but instead he just threw the route he was looking at the whole way -- right into the hands of the DB who was now "out of position." It's a throw a QB simply can't make in that situation.

At no point did Tuel play "better than EJ did in any game last year."

You ask the question why are so many down on Tuel? I don't understand why so many are UP on him! He lacks any special QB skill. If the Bills had a competent #2 I'd have no problem with Tuel holding the clipboard on Sundays as the #3 and running the scout team. But that's it.

Why Jeff Tuel is still even on the team is a mystery to me!

I see lesser version of Fitz who doesn't possess a top NFL arm, and can't read defenses or make the line calls like Fitz could. A guy who won only 4 of 26 games in college, and was constantly injured. His 61.4 completion percentage more then likely came in garbage time after the game was already lost.

If EJ Manuel was projected to be a developmental QB that might be ready in a year or two. Then where does that leave a kid who wasn't even invited to the combine, and went undrafted? I have nothing against the kid but the Bills needed more then a PS guy as backup. I suspect the bromance with Tuel & Lewis will be the undoing of this coaching staff, and perhaps even the GM.

Being "down on" the third strimg QB is more politically correct, so he takes it for the rest of the QB roster.

Where else are they so concerned about the 3rd string QB? I would think most teams' fans could hardly name their 3rd stringer, let alone take time to dump on the guy. I wonder why that's not the case here.............

Reminds me of SOOOOO many mediocre QBs we've had - Losman, Edwards, Kelly Holcomb, Alex, Collins. Didn't we love them all for at least 5 minutes?

You're joking comparing Jeff Tuel to that list of actual starting QB's right?

I still believe Losman and Edwards demonstrated plenty of talent but were undone by Skeletor "play to lose close" Jauron. (and Edwards' concussion didn't help)

Losman completed a full 16-game season as the 11th rated QB in the NFL.

Tool can't complete a game - not sure what KC game the OP was watching, but the rest of the team was dominating KC from start to finish - that loss was all on him - and not just the one play, he couldn't do anything the rest of the game either - if he had, the way the lines were dominating, he would have had a 21-point cushion to ignore a single pick 6.

He looks and plays like a pretty good JuCo QB out there. Disappointing since he has a decent D1 career.

Being "down on" the third strimg QB is more politically correct, so he takes it for the rest of the QB roster.

Where else are they so concerned about the 3rd string QB? I would think most teams' fans could hardly name their 3rd stringer, let alone take time to dump on the guy. I wonder why that's not the case here.............

1. The possibility exists that he could be the 2nd string QB.

2. This loser actually had to play two games for the Bills (and sucked out loud) so worrying about the team STILL relying on him a year later is completely legitimate.

Why Jeff Tuel is still even on the team is a mystery to me!

Exactly

Edited by BobChalmers

You're joking comparing Jeff Tuel to that list of actual starting QB's right?

I still believe Losman and Edwards demonstrated plenty of talent but were undone by Skeletor "play to lose close" Jauron. (and Edwards' concussion didn't help)

Losman completed a full 16-game season as the 11th rated QB in the NFL.

Tool can't complete a game - not sure what KC game the OP was watching, but the rest of the team was dominating KC from start to finish - that loss was all on him - and not just the one play, he couldn't do anything the rest of the game either - if he had, the way the lines were dominating, he would have had a 21-point cushion to ignore a single pick 6.

He looks and plays like a pretty good JuCo QB out there. Disappointing since he has a decent D1 career.

1. The possibility exists that he could be the 2nd string QB.

2. This loser actually had to play two games for the Bills (and sucked out loud) so worrying about the team STILL relying on him a year later is completely legitimate.

Exactly

So Tuel, a third stringer thrown into a starting position after little or no practice with the first team is a "loser", and the guy who has been in the league as a QB for 4 seasons, yet has only attermpted 15 passes would come in and be our 2nd string guy?

This makes no sense at all.

So Tuel, a third stringer thrown into a starting position after little or no practice with the first team is a "loser", and the guy who has been in the league as a QB for 4 seasons, yet has only attermpted 15 passes would come in and be our 2nd string guy?

Jordan Palmer? I actually thought you were referring to Thaddeus last year!

Funny how similar - similar background between Thad and Palmer, and recall how easy it was for Thad to come in off the street late in preseason and pass Tuel in performance such that by the season's end the team was satisfied with Thad as the #2 for this year.

Not much of an endorsement for Tuel that it's probably about to happen again.

Edited by BobChalmers

I really don't get why so many are quick to jump all over Jeff Tuel? For an undrafted QB only in his second year I think he has shown the potential to be a decent backup.

He looked REALLY good last year in preseason. So much so that many were calling for him to be given a shot to compete with EJ as a starter.

He was forced into the game with Cleveland last year when EJ got hurt, and laid an egg. He stunk. But that has happened to the best backup QBs. We all think of Frank Reich as a great backup because of the greatest comback in NFL history against Houston. But I also remember many other times he was forced in action where I would cringe when he dropped back to pass.

As far as this year I think he has played the best out of all the Bills QBs. I know that is setting the bar low, but in my opinion he has shown more confidence, poise, mobility, and willingness to throw the ball down field than EJ.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in anyway calling for Tuel to be the Bills starting QB. That position belongs to EJ until he proves he doesn't deserve it any longer. EJ needs to be given a fair shot at developing into what we all hope he can. But I think the same holds true for Jeff Tuel in developing into a decent backup. At this point I think I've seen more out of Tuel becoming that decent backup, than I have in EJ becoming the franchise QB we all hope he will become.

Great post. I agree with you.

People who are down on Tuel have unrealistic expectations. The KC game is a great example. His performance in that game is what I would expect from any competent no. 2 QB-- moving the ball, some good plays, some bad mistakes. I think he had 230 yds, no sacks, 1TD, 2INTs-- exactly the kind of line I would expect.

Great post. I agree with you.

People who are down on Tuel have unrealistic expectations. The KC game is a great example. His performance in that game is what I would expect from any competent no. 2 QB-- moving the ball, some good plays, some bad mistakes. I think he had 230 yds, no sacks, 1TD, 2INTs-- exactly the kind of line I would expect.

So what your are saying is that we can cut him and replace him with any other backup QB from any other team and get the same or better results? Yet people want to make him the starter... Re-read that and then realize why I/Others hate Jeff Tuel. He is literally the only player that I have ever wanted cut, just so I never have to hear his name again.

So what your are saying is that we can cut him and replace him with any other backup QB from any other team and get the same or better results? Yet people want to make him the starter... Re-read that and then realize why I/Others hate Jeff Tuel. He is literally the only player that I have ever wanted cut, just so I never have to hear his name again.

To your point, another group of people have unrealistic expectations for him in the other direction-- ie, as a starter over EJ. That had caused people, like you, to hate him, because it's absurd to consider him starting material.

But as a backup, with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions, most backups are going to put up numbers comparable to what tuel did against KC. At least with tuel, there is some hope that he could get better because he is young and raw. With a guy like Derek Anderson, for example, there is no hope. He's hit his ceiling.

I don't think so many would be down on Tuel if he were the 3rd string, developmental, scout team QB that he should be and should have been last season. He was nowhere near ready to play in a real game last year and it showed. Due to those bad performances, many on this board will never like him. He could turn into a pretty good backup and in 5 years people will still bring up the KC game. He’s no worse than Gale Gilbert or Gibran Hamden or Stan Gelbaugh or many of the other 3rd stringers we’ve had over the years.

Some better play calling in the KC game, we get at least a field goal and probably win. Had that happened, the feelings on Tuel may be completely different.