[please fix subject]Well it settled EJ is A bust coach SAL says so

hullhawk

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He strongly implied that because of his "low completion rate" that he was NEVER going to be any good, which to me smells a lot like BUST.

And for the poster who said i can't compare him to brady, Your right. I'd have to wait till he's played in the league for 10 + years. which is my point. He's only played 10 games to say ANYTHING definitve about him at this point is premature.

Which is why I was so irritated with SAL yesterday. you can't know that he's NEVER going to get any better and the statement that low 60's is NOT very good, when clearly it is.

THE HIGHEST I could fnid is peyton manning. at 65%.

Does he need to win? YES. Does he need to throw touchdowns? YES. IS he as has been said repeatedly all over the airways an innaccurate passer? NO.

He is AS accurate as several QB's who are first year Hall of famers. IF his current completion ratio holds up over his career. I am not saying that it will. I am not saying that it won't. I'm simply stating that its too early to tell.

This

That's kind of true. But one of the reason's Kelly is remembered so well (and is a HoF'er) is that he was not afraid to let it fly. He had his share of bad INT's too, but he was a gamer. The completion percentage stat is way overrated in my opinion. Not nearly as important as # of touchdowns, yards per attempt and W/L record.

I mostly agree. But I think W/L record is way overrated. Flutie (or, Tebow, more recently) didn't win on the strength of their quarterbacking. They got wins from the play of their defenses.

I heard Sal talking about it as well. Here is what i gathered:

-He said that when the Bills drafted him, they knew they weren't getting the most accurate guy in the world and that he believes his ceiling would be about 60%.

-It's not fair to call him captain checkdown because he was taking what was given.

-He's seen some progress but wishes EJ was better at certain things.

IMO, it was a pretty fair assessment. He never said bust. He was just trying to say that we should never expect him to be elite with accuracy, but that could still end up being a good QB if he continues to work at and hone the skills he does have.

And this was all in relation to a caller commenting that EJ never seems to be on target and his receivers always needing to make adjustments. Schopp, of course, was very pessimistic about Sal's comments and provided more arguments against how the Bills are grooming him. No one called or insinuated EJ was a bust except the OP.

Sometimes its like the news channels around here. Lets just present the pieces that make the story we want to tell.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

I mostly agree. But I think W/L record is way overrated. Flutie (or, Tebow, more recently) didn't win on the strength of their quarterbacking. They got wins from the play of their defenses.

Agreed for the most part but Flutie was pretty damn good his first year here. He was a pro bowler & definitely won us some games.

No one called or insinuated EJ was a bust except the OP.

He might not have come out and say it but I think Schopp was certainly implying it. He kept repeating that if you select a player where the Bills drafted Manuel, he needs to be better than he has been. I don't know if I agree. Should mid first round QB's be better than EJ has to date?

He might not have come out and say it but I think Schopp was certainly implying it. He kept repeating that if you select a player where the Bills drafted Manuel, he needs to be better than he has been. I don't know if I agree. Should mid first round QB's be better than EJ has to date?

Schopp was implying that perhaps he was drafted in the wrong spot or they should be treating him differently not that he is a bust. Its not EJ fault he was the first QB taken or the spot he was taken in. It also not the team's fault that Kolb got hurt(one could argue he was always fragile and they should have choose a different mentor).

It is the team's fault for coddling and insulating EJ as if he has already proven himself and that is what Schopp was trying to say.

Also the title of the thread is "Well it settled EJ is A bust coach SAL says so" clearly Sal never "said so"

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

He strongly implied that because of his "low completion rate" that he was NEVER going to be any good, which to me smells a lot like BUST.

And for the poster who said i can't compare him to brady, Your right. I'd have to wait till he's played in the league for 10 + years. which is my point. He's only played 10 games to say ANYTHING definitve about him at this point is premature.

Which is why I was so irritated with SAL yesterday. you can't know that he's NEVER going to get any better and the statement that low 60's is NOT very good, when clearly it is.

THE HIGHEST I could fnid is peyton manning. at 65%.

Does he need to win? YES. Does he need to throw touchdowns? YES. IS he as has been said repeatedly all over the airways an innaccurate passer? NO.

He is AS accurate as several QB's who are first year Hall of famers. IF his current completion ratio holds up over his career. I am not saying that it will. I am not saying that it won't. I'm simply stating that its too early to tell.

He is AS accurate as several QB's who are first year Hall of famers. Only if you you go by completion %s. EJ is not a bust. He is inaccurate unless he is throwing square ins (button hooks). When he is throwing to a moving target, he is inaccurate. When he is moving outside the pocket, he is inaccurate.

Can he be a good QB ? Perhaps. But , if he isn't accurate, it will be very difficult for him to be a franchise QB. Just my humble observations & opinion.

I listened to them yesterday. WHO CARES WHO EJ THROWS THE BALL TO????? if we move the ball whats the point. pissed me off so much, so OK, if EJ threw into covered wr's and his completion % was 30% they would have been bitching about his decision making/ reading the D. Now he throws to the open guy, TE, RB and gets a 7 yard gain, they complain he is not throwing down field.

What is the only stat that counts at the end of the day? not qb% or yards

The only two stats that matter for a QB are TD/Int ratio and Yards/attempt. Win/loss is important too but there are many factors that go into a win/loss.

He might not have come out and say it but I think Schopp was certainly implying it.

Schopp would say his mother wears combat boots if it'd help get listeners/ratings in August.

The whole 'GR schtick is to say something to agitate rather than inform. It's page one of the "Sports Talk Radio Consulting" playbook and it always amazes me how many suckers listeners fall for it...

I tuned in at 5pm yesterday. Schoop was totally discouraged and down on EJ, Hackett, and Marrone. Said he's hasn't gotten to this point until yesterday. Pretty much what I expected from him.

Sal was taking up for EJ. Saying he thought more good than bad. Did not agree with Schoop at all.

If EJ is a career 60 percent passer I'll take it.

For me I'm already souring on Hackett. Its not that we need to be lighting it up in preseason. But like Sal I coached high school football too here in VA. A varsity Oline coach. So when I watch these preseason games on the DVR I'm watching a lot of it like I'm in film room.

I see linemen that look confused and missing assignments. I see WRs in the same area---that play Watkins got hurt Chandler was right in front of him. Wth is that? I see Woods running the wrong route--that play early in the 2nd quarter where he streaked down the sideline and EJ threw a 10 yard hitch to no one. Fades to Woods in the end zone.

Spiller is a mess. A play early in the first had Wood pull (he was uncovered) up inside to the left btwn TE and T and all Spiller had to do was follow him and it was 10. Instead, he gets to that edge and he's already thinking bounce it out (you can see his eyes when you watch it back) and sure enough he did and got strung out of bounds for a 2 yard gain.

The backups all look lost especially the Oline.

Anyway the entire O reaks of poorly coached right now.

Edited by Big Blitz

I tuned in at 5pm yesterday. Schoop was totally discouraged and down on EJ, Hackett, and Marrone. Said he's hasn't gotten to this point until yesterday. Pretty much what I expected from him.

Sal was taking up for EJ. Saying he thought more good than bad. Did not agree with Schoop at all.

If EJ is a career 60 percent passer I'll take it.

For me I'm already souring on Hackett. Its not that we need to be lighting it up in preseason. But like Sal I coached high school football too here in VA. A varsity Oline coach. So when I watch these preseason games on the DVR I'm watching a lot of it like I'm in film room.

I see linemen that look confused and missing assignments. I see WRs in the same area---that play Watkins got hurt Chandler was right in front of him. Wth is that? I see Woods running the wrong route--that play early in the 2nd quarter where he streaked down the sideline and EJ threw a 10 yard hitch to no one. Fades to Woods in the end zone.

Spiller is a mess. A play early in the first had Wood pull (he was uncovered) up inside to the left btwn TE and T and all Spiller had to do was follow him and it was 10. Instead, he gets to that edge and he's already thinking bounce it out (you can see his eyes when you watch it back) and sure enough he did and got strung out of bounds for a 2 yard gain.

The backups all look lost especially the Oline.

Anyway the entire O reaks of poorly coached right now.

I think this is more the fact that they practice different plays in camp then in pre-season games do some vanilla stuff no one on the offense really knows. At least that is what I was hoping while I watched that the other night.

The only two stats that matter for a QB are TD/Int ratio and Yards/attempt. Win/loss is important too but there are many factors that go into a win/loss.

Important too? Yes I want a high preforming QB, But What difference does it make if we win? In all seriousness would it really bother you if he had a bad int td% and passer rating if we won 9 to 10 games this year?

Which teams in the NFL have a worse trio of QB's than Buffalo? None! The Bills won't be contenders until the QB position improves dramatically. Until then, the Bills will remain non-contenders in the 6-10 area. The only hope is that the new owner (unlike the previous owner) won't settle for mediocre when hiring a new team president, new GM, new head coach, new staff and new trainer.

Edited by Billsguy

I like Coach Sal. One of the few listenable guys on WGR. But did he say he would be a bust because of this?

Completion % is the most overrated stat ever. Trent Edwards had a 65% his 2nd year. I want EJ to take what the defense gives him but he needs to mix in the deep shots. If EJ only completes 50% one game but half of them are 20 + in yardage, I'll take it.

So 2/4 for 21 yards works as a stat line? Sweet!