Stephon Gilmore

No one said he was a bum... he just isn't good. When people realize that we can move on. Maybe he could be a safety. Big body and probably would be that much better with the game in front of him. He shouldn't be responsible for playin with his back to the ball. We have a good one namely McKelvin. And some solid depth with Brooks Robert Graham and maybe Cockrell.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of good points brought up in this thread: I have never been a big fan of Gilmore's. I think at this stage in his career he is very, very average. He gets caught peeking into the backfield way too often and is susceptible to double moves. On top of that he's a defensive holding penalty waiting to happen, and now that the refs are calling that like mad it's bad for Gilmore. For all the hype he always seems to get I'm totally underwhelmed with him. In addition, he has really bad hands, so I don't see him getting more than 1-2 picks a year. Last year he dropped 2 or 3 easy ones.

In back to back preseason games, Gilmore has burnt for TDs. Should we be concerned that this trend will continue into the season?

He's a top 3 CB in the NFL according to the TBD wannabe "experts". No need to be concerned. :rolleyes:

Let's not over-exaggerate when it comes to Stephon, please. He'll be fine. His stats towards the end of last year were that of an elite caliber CB. If this continues in the regular season then we can worry. Two catches don't make you a bum.

And a small sample size towards the end of last year doesn't make him an elite caliber CB either. It is going to be a rough year for this guy IMO because of the tighter enforcement of illegal contact.

Ive been trying to say that he is average but many on here piss in my cheerios!

This is where I stand on him at this moment as a player.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

With my extremely untrained eye, considering all of the expert praise Gilmore gets, I keep expecting to see him stick to someonr like glue.....at least on one play. To this point I don't recall seeing that....and seeing many where he either draws a flag or loses his man.

I'm really hoping that it is that human nature thing where only the negative stuff gets remembered.....but I struggle to remember any big plays from him as well. I figure we will know for sure by thd end of this season. I certainly hope he pulls it all together.

Edited by Dibs

He did not play well last night. I thought, otherwise, he has looked pretty good in the preseason. He had Benjamin blanketed on the TD play vs Carolina...just a perfect pass and a great play by Benjamin, IMO.

Not to make excuses for the guy, but I wonder (as previous posters have noted) if the rule changes related to holding have caused him some problems. Being physical and "clutching" the WR at the LOS was his bread and butter. Hopefully his skills will allow him to adjust. I'm not ready to pass judgment on him yet. He has demonstrated in the past that he can play at a very high level in this league.

I'm a big Gilmore fan, but I'd prefer if he wasn't giving up TDs like he has the past two games.

We'll see what happens when the regular season rolls around; I'll be expecting him to show the form he did in the final 10 games of his rookie season, or else it may indeed be that he's not up to the task of being a #1 CB.

He's a big, aggressive, solid CB that is absolutely good enough to start on this team. He's not a top corner in the league though, far from it.

That said, we'll have to complain about something other than Gilmore given the state of the Bills. If we lose a game or two b/c of Gilmore...there really is nothing we can do or say about it. There aren't 2 other CBs on the team who are any better.

With such a small sample size, it's impossible to extrapolate into concern. Gilmore covered the #1 receiver on almost every play last year and played at a high level even with a broken hand. I expect more of the same this season. No cornerback in the NFL is perfect. People loved to talk about how good Revis was and how he shut down opposing #1 receivers. Well most of the time, he didn't shut down Stevie when we played him. Did people have concerns for him because of a couple plays? Of course not. My #1 question in the last two weeks was where the safety help was. Not even close.

Gilmore has some improving to do but I think he can do it. If not, Corey Graham has looked pretty good this preseason as well and may push Gilmore for playing time.

Huh? Graham gave up the 76 yard TD to Brown, so how is he pushing Gilmore for time?

First, the TD to Benjamin was exceptional coverage last week. The kid made a diving TD catch at his toes...The opposing team also has professional NFL players that are paid a lot of money to make plays too, and occasionally they will make an exceptional play despite exceptional defense against the play.

Secondly, I don't think everyone in this thread realizes the 76 yard TD by Brown was against Graham and A. Williams (Williams picked Graham).

Third, the Wheaton TD was a great route and a perfect throw in man to man situation. Thats an incredibly difficult play to defend regardless if you are Revis or some scrub. And all the top DB's have given that TD up before, including Revis. So to jump to some crazy conclusion that all of a sudden Gilmore can't hang is incredibly premature. He's is supposed to cheat inside because the sideline acts as a 12th defender. Wheaton cut back to the corner and Big Ben made an exceptional throw and put the ball exactly on the money. Not making an excuse for him, but its also not exactly armageddon either.

Gilmore is not one of my concerns about this team...He is still one of the better starting DB's in this league with the potential to be one of the best.

First, the TD to Benjamin was exceptional coverage last week. The kid made a diving TD catch at his toes...The opposing team also has professional NFL players that are paid a lot of money to make plays too, and occasionally they will make an exceptional play despite exceptional defense against the play.

Secondly, I don't think everyone in this thread realizes the 76 yard TD by Brown was against Graham and A. Williams (Williams picked Graham).

Third, the Wheaton TD was a great route and a perfect throw in man to man situation. Thats an incredibly difficult play to defend regardless if you are Revis or some scrub. And all the top DB's have given that TD up before, including Revis. So to jump to some crazy conclusion that all of a sudden Gilmore can't hang is incredibly premature. He's is supposed to cheat inside because the sideline acts as a 12th defender. Wheaton cut back to the corner and Big Ben made an exceptional throw and put the ball exactly on the money. Not making an excuse for him, but its also not exactly armageddon either.

Gilmore is not one of my concerns about this team...He is still one of the better starting DB's in this league with the potential to be one of the best.

Hey, get that rational and realistic crap out of here. How are we suppose to focus on the "doom" if you're here interjecting reality and logic?

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

It was Duke Williams on the first TD that cut off Graham, but I think most here are referring to te Wheaton TD, on which Gillmore was clearly beaten.

It was Duke Williams on the first TD that cut off Graham, but I think most here are referring to te Wheaton TD, on which Gillmore was clearly beaten.

LOL my bad, I just watched it again, his jersey was bunched up and looked like the 7 on the jersey number was a 3. And again, I know Gilmore was beaten on the Wheaton TD, but so has Revis and every other top corner on a corner route like that in man to man. Like I said, Gilmore is supposed to cheat inside because the sideline is essentially a 12th defender limiting the space on that side. Big Ben, a 2 time SB champion and one of the best QB's in the NFL, made a perfect throw. That play is incredibly difficult to cover one on one with a speedy and talented WR like Wheaton paired with a perfect throw.

So, yes, he gave the TD up. But a big NO on whether or not I think it spells doom and gloom for the season for Gilmore. I mean people around here act like guys like Revis don't give up TD's...yet the same people here have created this false legend on how bad Stevie abuses Revis who isn't even that good of a WR. So, if guys like Revis are the bar to judge all other DB's, then I would say people are really over reacting to this one very difficult play to defend that was executed to perfection by the WR and QB because I have seen Revis give this same TD up on more than one occasion.

Edited by Alphadawg7