Stephon Gilmore

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that are offering up all the excuses for Gilmore, answer this, how confident are you in Gilmore going up against Brandon Marshall in week 1 based solely on his performance so far in the preseason (and not how he performed in years past)?

The honest truth is I dont know......he has had injuries in their as well which is NOT a debatable reason for poor play......if your a physical corner you cant play with a club on your hand.....

However.....we need to get to the point where QB's are throwing at our other DB's and not WILLING to throw at Gilmore.....this needs to happen

Gilmore right now is inconsistent. He is either an average starting NFL CB or a shut down CB. People that complain about Gilmore please watch more CB's in the NFL. There are maybe 3-4 that rarely get beat, but still get beat. The guy Gilmore was covering is a speed guy, you cant touch these WR's anymore. Let a speed guy run around like that and he will win battles in todays NFL, especially with a QB like Big Ben throwing the football.

What I dont get on that play is Gilmore is 10 yards off the WR. I dont understand. There are zero times I want to see Gilmore off a WR, his game is press. So anyone worried about that play understand that its not a Gilmore play. Thats not what we will see from Gilmore. Same with the other TD he allowed vs Carolina. He is a press CB, both plays he played soft.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

For those that are offering up all the excuses for Gilmore, answer this, how confident are you in Gilmore going up against Brandon Marshall in week 1 based solely on his performance so far in the preseason (and not how he performed in years past)?

Why would you do something so stupid?

His whole career is important and as much as you want to dismiss the amazing play that Kelvin Benjamin made, he still made an insane grab.

Gilmore is not a shutdown corner but he is better than average starting CB in the NFL and will continue to be no matter how much you want to irrationally freak out.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Dibs, NOT to single you out, but too many posters who know a lot about football, let alone this team, are apologetic. "Untrained eye?" You and many of us follow this team more than sportswriters. Your opinion has merit.

My usage of "untrained eye" wasn't intended as a form of being apologetic. It was to publically acknowledge that I know that there may be nuances to CB play that I could easily miss which could potentially explain why I see what I see. A bit like the EJ staring down thread/article last week.

Perhaps I am a bit of an elitist as I believe that some opinions matter more than others. For example, your opinion on OL play matters more(due to your obvious expertise in that area) than many other's opinions on the OL(or more than your opinion in other areas).

It isn't to say that I think my opinion is wrong or not valid.......more that I'd be willing to listen to other opinions that differ to mine. I have learnt an awful lot of knowledge from this forum. I didn't do that from insisting that my opinions on any given issue are correct.

Hehe....flipping what you said.....a lot of these comments were NOT intended to be singled at you Bill. Simply trying to explain why I often put caveats on posts where I state an opinion on something that I don't consider myself to be an expert on.

Edited by Dibs

Not agreeing with a draft selection and thinking that Watkins is a bad player are not the same.

Backpedaling already? You started a thread about Watkins before the draft ever occurred or the Bills made the trade. You didn't want anything to do with him saying he was a "gadget player" who would not help win football games.

No way to defend the Wheaton TD. textbook example of what Dan Marino always says: " you cant defend the perfect pass".

i like Gilmore's tackling and closing speed. the one thing we've learned about him is that it takes him longer than most to knock the rust off his game. last year's injury and now the hip thing.

he has two more games--probably 30 defensive snaps-- of actual game play until he'll be facing Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey and Cutler at home on opening day. thats two top 10 wr's on the same team.

after that game you can assess gilmore.

My usage of "untrained eye" wasn't intended as a form of being apologetic. It was to publically acknowledge that I know that there may be nuances to CB play that I could easily miss which could potentially explain why I see what I see. A bit like the EJ staring down thread/article last week.

Perhaps I am a bit of an elitist as I believe that some opinions matter more than others. For example, your opinion on OL play matters more(due to your obvious expertise in that area) than many other's opinions on the OL(or more than your opinion in other areas).

It isn't to say that I think my opinion is wrong or not valid.......more that I'd be willing to listen to other opinions that differ to mine. I have learnt an awful lot of knowledge from this forum. I didn't do that from insisting that my opinions on any given issue are correct.

Hehe....flipping what you said.....a lot of these comments were NOT intended to be singled at you Bill. Simply trying to explain why I often put caveats on posts where I state an opinion on something that I don't consider myself to be an expert on.

this is why Webster Guy has the final say on all beer related issues. this board has many experts.

this is why Webster Guy has the final say on all beer related issues. this board has many experts.

Hehehe......well, if you make some astute comments on beer you might just get on my "this person knows a lot about that topic" list. As I don't drink beer(I know, unheard of for a Bills fan), I am looking for a beer expert upon whose opinion I can trust. :beer:

Backpedaling already? You started a thread about Watkins before the draft ever occurred or the Bills made the trade. You didn't want anything to do with him saying he was a "gadget player" who would not help win football games.

Having learned more about him, there is reason to believe that he might be a fine player. This doesn't necessarily make him a good pick, let alone trading away a future first round pick in the process.

Can EJ get the ball to him? I think that the answer to this will go a long way to determine whether or not it was a good trade.

Of course, if one has lots of confidence in EJ one would absolutely love the pick.

Last year after Gilmore got back on the field after wearing a club he finished the season by allowing a 42 opposing QB rating in five games after the bye.

But continue on, with how he looks in practice games where the goal for starters is to not get hurt.

Not agreeing with a draft selection and thinking that Watkins is a bad player are not the same.

If EJ sucks (which perhaps you think is not possible), trading away a very possible top 10 pick for any receiver is stupid or so I think.

What do YOU think?

And btw, do you think the Bills gave up too much in that trade? Better yet, is there ANY price that would have been too much?

You are lucky. I wish I could love everything the Bills do and be offensive and act in a sanctimonious way to those who dare disagree with me, or this winning management team.

Carry on! :)

Ahh so much to address here. First and foremost, I wanted to say that every year everyone pays way too much attention to the preseason and then by week 2, I always say to myself, man how long ago does the preseason seem and more importantly, how irrelevant was it after all. And yet here we are in the middle of the preseason judging Stephon Gilmore because he got beat on one play. I think the jury is still out on Gilmore personally but I really hope your relentless crusade against him ends at some point here. As far as EJ, I certainly think it's possible he sucks. In fact, I think it's likely. I've never said anything indicating to the contrary. As far as Watkins, for the record Bill, you started a thread BEFORE the draft saying, "hey does anyone have any players that they just have bad vibes about? I had em about Spiller, Gilmore and my guy this year is Sammy Watkins." So that was before the Bills drafted him and before we knew what the Bills gave up to get him. I personally have good vibes about Watkins FWIW. As far as the trade, I mean what can I really say other than "time will tell?" If he's a Julio Jones then yeah of course it was worth it. If somehow he sucks- which, barring injury, looks very unlikely- then it was obviously not worth it. But yeah, I love the roll of the dice and I think this franchise needed to make a bold move like that. So yeah, to answer your question, I like it. Great vibes. Edited by metzelaars_lives