Chicago Media- Bills are an Easy Win

Welcome to this board. A few points:

- I too am not hearing a lot of predictions of a week 1 win (yet)

- Schwartz had a terrific front 4 at Detroit but the rest of the D was not much to write home about. He has a lot more overall talent to play with on the Bills. And as opposed to OL and WR, this is a proven bunch.

- You are also falling into the same trap as you accuse posters here of doing. You are thinking addition of Allen, Houston and Fuller will instantly make the Bears D better. Allen and Houston are both proven, and better than the subtraction of Peppers. But there are question marks pretty much on every other group on D

- Bears OLine is decent but injuries seem to be cropping up so we will see who takes the field in what physical shape

- Cutler, Marshall, Jeffery and Conte are very very good. But the Bills RBs, as a group are better. Remains to be seen how Mike WIliams plays as a Bill and if Watkins is as good as advertised. The Bears DBs may be weak though with Conte kinda hobbling and Fuller being a rookie

- Bears definitely have a strong home field advantage

It will be interesting. Hope its a good, well fought game and not a blow out either way

- Schwartz had a terrific front 4 at Detroit but the rest of the D was not much to write home about. He has a lot more overall talent to play with on the Bills. And as opposed to OL and WR, this is a proven bunch.

I'm not trying to dispute that. I've seen multiple places where posters have pointed to the Lions sweep of Chicago last year as having some bearing on this year's game. There's even a thread on this message board dedicated to that point.

- You are also falling into the same trap as you accuse posters here of doing. You are thinking addition of Allen, Houston and Fuller will instantly make the Bears D better. Allen and Houston are both proven, and better than the subtraction of Peppers. But there are question marks pretty much on every other group on D

I don't think I am. All I said was that the Bears defense was going to different personnel wise, which is a fact. I did not say that automatically will make them better. In fact, I was careful to not make that statement as you are correct, I have no way of knowing that at this point.

But yes, I do think if the Bears can keep guys like Briggs, DJ Williams, and Tillman healthy and on the field (always a ?) then that, coupled with the new guys will result in a better D. I mean, last year was the worst defensive team ever in Chicago. Does anyone really think they are going to stay like that? One key caveat - new personnel often means steeper learning curve. It might be that this team doesn't hit their stride until a few weeks into the year - or maybe they will never hit it.

- Bears OLine is decent but injuries seem to be cropping up so we will see who takes the field in what physical shape

True, but I think some posters are overplaying the O-line injuries. I have read or heard nothing that leads me to believe they will be down any starters come Week 1. Clearly though, a lot can change between now and then.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to dispute that. I've seen multiple places where posters have pointed to the Lions sweep of Chicago last year as having some bearing on this year's game. There's even a thread on this message board dedicated to that point.

I don't think I am. All I said was that the Bears defense was going to different personnel wise, which is a fact. I did not say that automatically will make them better. In fact, I was careful to not make that statement as you are correct, I have no way of knowing that at this point.

But yes, I do think if the Bears can keep guys like Briggs, DJ Williams, and Tillman healthy and on the field (always a ?) then that, coupled with the new guys will result in a better D. I mean, last year was the worst defensive team ever in Chicago. Does anyone really think they are going to stay like that? One key caveat - new personnel often means steeper learning curve. It might be that this team doesn't hit their stride until a few weeks into the year - or maybe they will never hit it.

True, but I think some posters are overplaying the O-line injuries. I have read or heard nothing that leads me to believe they will be down any starters come Week 1. Clearly though, a lot can change between now and then.

Yet you do seem to comply with the notion that your OLine has its question marks, healthy or otherwise.

So, I have to ask, how much confidence do you REALLY have going against what is considered by many in and out of Buffalo to be a top-5, may be even top-3 defensive line?

Beating the Bears is as simple as getting consistent pressure on Cutler...He's easily rattled...

If the Chicago media knew anything they would understand that #1 we have a DC that is VERY familiar with their Offense...And #2 we can rush the passer as a team...I'm not saying the Bills are world beaters, or that they should be favored in that game...But it is a good match-up for us I believe...There is definitely a good chance we can steal that game if we don't turn the ball over and we get to Cutler... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I personally hope your O line is totally healthy...that way when our D line whips them into submission there wont be any excuses.

Look....if your team was so great then why were you 8-8 last year......just TWO games better then the Bills who every fan will admit is a crappy season?

The fact of the matter is you know that your QB Cutler is prone to making mistakes when under pressure......and he is gonna be under constant pressure from our D which not only had the dominant defense line but also has a much better secondary then Schwartz is used to working with

Combine that with the fact your defense was not great and we are going to be pounding it out on the ground most of the game.......will Cutler even be able to find his rythum in this game?

Even Eric Davis from NFL network chalked up the Jets sweeping the Bills this coming year. The only way public opinion about the Bills is going to change is the Bills making the playoffs.

Or winning their first 6 games.

This is excellent news. We want everyone to believe that because, despite what players say about taking every opponent seriously, they are human. And if everyone tells you the Bills suck and you should win easy you start believing it. Then on game day they get punched in the mouth.

That's all well and good, but the Bills start believing it too.

Have they improved upon that almost worst defense in the NFL from last year? If not, I wouldn't call any team an "easy win."

By "almost worst defense in the NFL," do you mean the one that was 10th in overall yards allowed, 2nd in sacks, and 2nd in interceptions (and was one of the best in yards allowed over the last 8 games), all this in spite of an offense that had them on the field quite a bit (they were also 1st in tackles).

Or winning their first 6 games.

It's that pesky 6th win in the first half of the season that just keeps eluding them :)

By "almost worst defense in the NFL," do you mean the one that was 10th in overall yards allowed, 2nd in sacks, and 2nd in interceptions (and was one of the best in yards allowed over the last 8 games), all this in spite of an offense that had them on the field quite a bit (they were also 1st in tackles).

Doc was referring to the Bears' D.

It's that pesky 6th win in the first half of the season that just keeps eluding them :)

Chicago 2013 defense:

30th in yards allowed

30th in points allowed

32nd in rushing yards allowed

They were 15th in passing yards allowed but this could be that teams just ran more on them because they suck so bad.

That takes a pair of brass ones to act like any team is an easy win for you.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Da Bears have the same defensive coordinator returning from a year ago, when they were:

30th in yards allowed

30th in points allowed

32nd in yards allowed per play

28th in first downs allowed

25th in 3rd down defense

The difference is that Bears are expected to be a playoff team and potentially challenge for the SB...where everyone mostly sees the Bills at best as a Cinderella wildcard team or worse.

Perhaps in the Greater Chicagoland area, they are...

The Bills have a chance in the opener. With that being said I don't think that anyone should be offended that they are a 6.5 point underdog. The Bears have been a better team than the Bills and are playing at home. We all like to look at things through our Bills colored glasses but if they are more likely to lose this game than to win. If they are going to be what I hope (roughly 10-6) than this game is probably in the "L" column. It is one of the better teams that the Bills will play all year and it is on the road.

The difference is that Bears are expected to be a playoff team and potentially challenge for the SB...where everyone mostly sees the Bills at best as a Cinderella wildcard team or worse.

Contend for a SB?? In what universe? See my earlier post listing their defensive stats from 2013.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I live in Chicago too. I keep telling all the Bears fans that they didn't face a Defense as good as the Bills all of last year. I think they're in for a rude awakening. I'm a little worried about our OLB position, but as long as EJ can manufacture 20 points, we should win.