Tony Stewart hits, kills Kevin Ward,Jr. at Canandaigua Motorsports Par

YoloinOhio

Step into a 103 mph fastball with your head. You may change your opinion.

That's basically what Ward did.

Now, if the batter steps into it? That's what Ward was doing when he decided to hoof it on the track.

No, if a batter steps into a bean ball, it's not manslaughter. But that's not the example you gave, you said if a pitcher intentionally beans a player and he dies, will he be charged. I think he would be.

This kid was not stepping into Stewart's car. The video suggests he was moving away just before contact.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is precedent for battery litigation in sports: Marty McSorley and Bill Romanowski are two that come to mind. Just because someone is in a sporting event does not absolve them from any wrongdoing

Yes. BUT you are missing the very critical element. Ward had no right being where he was and doing what he was doing. The burden is on him too!

TS is an aggressive driver. Why is it his aggressive style is being seen as trying to hit or scare Ward? Maybe he was using it to avoid Ward...

Yes. BUT you are missing the very critical element. Ward had no right being where he was and doing what he was doing. The burden is on him too!

TS is an aggressive driver. Why is it his aggressive style is being seen as trying to hit or scare Ward? Maybe he was using it to avoid Ward...

clearly theres a burden on the plaintiff, no one is saying otherwise. TS' aggressive style and hot temper strikes me that it will hurt his defense, not help

A better analogy, which is purely hypothetical and stupid, is if a fan ran out in front of the pitcher a split second before the ball was thrown. The ball hits him in the head and he dies.

Questions circulate, "was the pitcher trying to just scare him?" "Could he have done something to avoid the fan with the pitch?"

They will never prove "intent" here, so at worse we're talking negligence. Still, in Nascar country, I doubt anything really happens to Tony.

Especially if his "tried to avoid him," story sounds believeable.

BTW tom, these cars run over 1100 HP and the length is under 20' iirc

I am happy to see AJ is back!!!! Stojan, DrD, the Dean, and now AJ! Wow!

agreed, and Stewart should give some money to his family

The Senator could be added to that list (and sounds like he is having health issues so say a prayer).

I swerve to hit cats...

I kicked a taxi drivers ass for that once (in the 70s), I mean what if it was your kids cat, phht!

Back in the day (1980s) a sprint had around 650 to 700 HP surprised to hear it is that high (1100) now. That is about almost a HP per pound (they weigh around 1500 IIRC), I am surprised they don't just fly out of the track, if they are really that high. Must be a B word to steer, the front must be off the ground all the time. I am seeing this differently now, with the wetness of the track, how close TS was behind the blue car, how far down on the track this kid went... it is all bad and dumb on his part.

That is a completely baseless assumption by everyone. How can you discern what Stewart attempted to do from a single video on the internet?

Just like people telling me I didn't see a plane hit the Pentagon, because the video clearly doesn't show a plane...everyone's an expert in photo-analysis on the internet, to the point of being able to to discern an individual's state of mind and exact thoughts from a video on youtube.

I understand what you're saying. That's just what the other racer who witnessed the incident said.

As far as Im concerned, Tony Stewart knows what he did or didn't do. I don't think anyone believes for a second he intended to kill or even harm anyone, but that doesn't mean he didn't do something foolish fueled by his temper - the history of which is obviously well-established - that resulted in the unfortunate death of this kid.

I understand what you're saying. That's just what the other racer who witnessed the incident said.

As far as Im concerned, Tony Stewart knows what he did or didn't do. I don't think anyone believes for a second he intended to kill or even harm anyone, but that doesn't mean he didn't do something foolish fueled by his temper - the history of which is obviously well-established - that resulted in the unfortunate death of this kid.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the guy who is a driver and a friend of the dead guy. He said that he flew 50 yards in the air............After watching the video, I'm on taking him serious on his eyewitness account.

It is truly ridiculous that people that have never driven one of those cars and don't even claim to know a blessed thing about how they are driven get on the internet and say they heard a sound on a video so Stewart was trying to scare the kid.

That's what another driver said. Someone who knows both parties and was right there in that part of the track when it happened.

If he wasn't seen to be accelerating into this kid, there would be no discussion---and no ongoing investigation. The kid made a poor decision, but he didn't jump into Stewart's car...

He did sleep on it. And when he woke up, his team spokesman announced that they were going to race---"business as usual".

Only after a predictable public outcry was Stewart shamed into skipping the race.

I agree. There was a reason why he accelerated. Whether or not it was to avoid him, or scare him, or whatever...only TS knows.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the guy who is a driver and a friend of the dead guy. He said that he flew 50 yards in the air............After watching the video, I'm on taking him serious on his eyewitness account.

"I know Tony could see him. I know how you can see out of these cars. When Tony got close to him, he hit the throttle. When you hit a throttle on a sprint car, the car sets sideways. It set sideways, the right rear tire hit Kevin, Kevin was sucked underneath and was stuck under it for a second or two and then it threw him about 50 yards."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/story/2014-08-10/tony-stewart-sprint-car-hits-driver-fight-incident-trouble-investigation-new-york-watkins-glen-kevin-ward

Stewart was in a collision , the yellow caution came out meaning no one can be passed. So why was he going so fast to circle the track and then hit the other driver? He could have been going very, very slow and never lost track position.

Yeah, that's the one. I didn't see him get thrown at all, much less 50 yards!

He did move a considerable distance. 50 yards? I don't know but certainly not zero either. Also the video you're watching is in 2 dimensions. To guage the actual distance also need to know depth

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

No. Not because it is a sporting event, but because Ward was actively seeking out TS' car. I believe if TS could, he would have avoided Ward. IMO, I think he tried to avoid him by accelerating aggressively around the situation and seeing how Ward was going to TS, the stars aligned he was hit.

IMO, the best defense is the best offense... That's what TS was doing... That's what makes him great driver. You don't get wins driving defensively.

Hey look you're so edgy and cool. Look at you! You're so cool! I hope I'm cool like you someday.

If he wasn't seen to be accelerating into this kid, there would be no discussion---and no ongoing investigation. The kid made a poor decision, but he didn't jump into Stewart's car...

He did sleep on it. And when he woke up, his team spokesman announced that they were going to race---"business as usual".

Only after a predictable public outcry was Stewart shamed into skipping the race.

Have you ever driven a sprint car???

The accelerator is just as much responsible for the steering of the car as the steering wheel is...

I love how everyone says that TS accelerated as if it was malicious,...

This is just another example of someone reading an article, or watching a video and assuming they know the whole story....

It's not just WEO.... Pretty much 3/4 of these comments are asinine....

No. Not because it is a sporting event, but because Ward was actively seeking out TS' car. I believe if TS could, he would have avoided Ward.

Right. Some people think TS went out of his way to not avoid him. Even as far as to scare him a bit and intimidate him. I'm on the fence but Stewart's insatiable appetite for being angry has led people to a conclusion. Justifiably so or not. TS has been a bad dude with anger issues and confrontations his whole career. He lost the benefit of the doubt with his previous actions.

I still don't think it will be a criminal case but Stewart has to live with his actions. For humanity's sake, I hope you are right.

All in all, I don't see some "dirt track racing expert" putting the hook on Stewart. He'll sail through and put another chapter in his life story...

Which begs the question, is the good ol' boy network protecting TS?

Why the hell is Stewart racing in these two bit events anyway? He has so much to lose and so little to gain. Is it ego, greed, or just some dumb hillbilly ****?

Edited by inkman

He did move a considerable distance. 50 yards? I don't know but certainly not zero either. Also the video you're watching is in 2 dimensions. To guage the actual distance also need to know depth

i think his point of contention is that it didnt catapult him, but dragged him - so "threw him 50 yards" isnt accurate either way. that said, i still havent heard any report, besides people watching the video, contest that it was stewart that hit the gas. his purpose isnt certain, but so far it seems reliable that it was him.

I'm no expert on this...

I've seen Stewart race a lot, and he has an attitude, but there have been more heated situations for this, if he were the killing type, it would have happened already.

I legitimately believe this was an accident. For all we know he wasn't looking towards Ward and tried to maneuver out of the way last second (accelerating in a dirt car can get it to turn faster), but miscalculated. He might have been pissed, or indifferent, or whatever, but I doubt he was looking to hit the guy.

If he is that sort of psychopath, then he's held it together very well over the years, as he's had *plenty* of opportunity to murder someone in the past.

Edited by Dorkington

i think his point of contention is that it didnt catapult him, but dragged him - so "threw him 50 yards" isnt accurate either way. that said, i still havent heard any report, besides people watching the video, contest that it was stewart that hit the gas. his purpose isnt certain, but so far it seems reliable that it was him.

Personally I don't see the distinction as having any merit. He did say he got sucked underneath the tire, so he's acknowledging it was on the ground. Also the view of the area of greatest movement is blocked by ts' car, so maybe ward was airborne. Maybe "flung" would have been better word, but in any case that minor degree of articulation would not discredit him at all IMO

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The accelerator is just as much responsible for the steering of the car as the steering wheel is...

This is just another example of someone reading an article, or watching a video and assuming they know the whole story....

I drive a sprint car every day to work of course.

Look, Stewart clearly accelerated (those who say you can't tell if it is his car revving up are not credible viewers of that tape) while everyone else slowed down, under caution, and/or headed for the infield. Only Stewart, the guy Ward was directing his poorly conceived tirade at, hit him.

When I was driving to work yesterday morning, I was surprised to hear Stewart was involved in a local track race--and then that a kid was killed by his car after he spun him out. Then when I saw the film, I immediately thought it was odd that his car speeded up instead of slowed down.

Maybe there is some physics reason as to why he had to accelerate to avoid the kid on the track, and no one else had to do this. But I have said all along that it's conceivable that Stewart saw this kid show boating and figured he would send him an "F-you punk" close shave with his car. It's entirely consistent with his personality on the track. No one should believe he wanted to "murder" this dumb kid.

Look, Stewart clearly accelerated (those who say you can't tell if it is his car revving up are not credible viewers of that tape) while everyone else slowed down, under caution, and/or headed for the infield. Only Stewart, the guy Ward was directing his poorly conceived tirade at, hit him.

When I was driving to work yesterday morning, I was surprised to hear Stewart was involved in a local track race--and then that a kid was killed by his car after he spun him out. Then when I saw the film, I immediately thought it was odd that his car speeded up instead of slowed down.

Maybe there is some physics reason as to why he had to accelerate to avoid the kid on the track, and no one else had to do this. But I have said all along that it's conceivable that Stewart saw this kid show boating and figured he would send him an "F-you punk" close shave with his car. It's entirely consistent with his personality on the track. No one should believe he wanted to "murder" this dumb kid.

That I think is the moat plausible explanation: someone poked at him so he wanted to send a message of his own, but not try to kill him. Still there is no self defense claim, this opens to door to manslaughter/negligent homicide case

The cab driver purposely ran over the cat? If so, I'm really glad you kicked his ass!

So am I and yes he did. Lucky he was small hah!

That I think is the moat plausible explanation: someone poked at him so he wanted to send a message of his own, but not try to kill him. Still there is no self defense claim, this opens to door to manslaughter/negligent homicide case

Which is going to be really hard to prove if some DA thinks it is worth pursuing.

Edited by bowery4

Agreed. A little research makes all this much clearer. Just watch a race in person and it will become quite a bit more understandable. Not to mention you might enjoy the intensity and competition.

Edited by SmokinES3

Right. Some people think TS went out of his way to not avoid him. Even as far as to scare him a bit and intimidate him. I'm on the fence but Stewart's insatiable appetite for being angry has led people to a conclusion. Justifiably so or not. TS has been a bad dude with anger issues and confrontations his whole career. He lost the benefit of the doubt with his previous actions.

I still don't think it will be a criminal case but Stewart has to live with his actions. For humanity's sake, I hope you are right.

Why the hell is Stewart racing in these two bit events anyway? He has so much to lose and so little to gain. Is it ego, greed, or just some dumb hillbilly ****?

Dumb hillbilly? Good 'ol boy network protecting him? Tony stewart has run the sprint circuit his whole life.

In 2013 he almost lost his life in sprint car racing, or so I have been told. Your opinion appears to have zero knowledge

Of what and why these guys race. But it does have inflammatory comments towards a sport you have no knowledge of.

A two bit event? Really? Sounds like a hillbilly statement.

Dumb hillbilly? Good 'ol boy network protecting him? Tony stewart has run the sprint circuit his whole life.

In 2013 he almost lost his life in sprint car racing, or so I have been told. Your opinion appears to have zero knowledge

Of what and why these guys race. But it does have inflammatory comments towards a sport you have no knowledge of.

A two bit event? Really? Sounds like a hillbilly statement.

Didn't mean to ruffle a Nascar fans feathers but isn't Tony Stewart racing in these other races jeopardizing his career where he makes serious coin to provide for his family? Wouldn't that be like Mario Williams playing DE in a semi pro league on Saturdays?

I should have been more respectful in my comments.

Didn't mean to ruffle a Nascar fans feathers but isn't Tony Stewart racing in these other races jeopardizing his career where he makes serious coin to provide for his family? Wouldn't that be like Mario Williams playing DE in a semi pro league on Saturdays?

I should have been more respectful in my comments.

I am a FI fan, but do watch some nascar. But really I think the word here is passion for something you love.

And there are sports people entertainers, anyone, who when there passionate for what they do they do it at many levels.

An example when he was in the NFL why would brett Favre throw to the local high school receivers offseason

Why does Charlie Watts worth around 300 mil, play in a band that draws a couple hundred people. When He is

Not touring with the rolling Stones? I Say passion for what they love.

these drivers live on adrenaline. Sprint cars for him are just maybe a buzz and to stay sharp. Again he has

Done that circuit for years. I think he would rather do that than sit on his couch before a Nascar race.

if sprint had spotters or radios this most likely would not have happened. he would have got word a out of control kid

Was on the track. I seriously doubt Stewart thought

This kid would be waiting for him on a racetrack on his next lap. is he a hot head, angry jerk. yep, racing is

Not for the faint of heart. Big egos are just part of the sport. IMO these guys do not flinch easily when in a

Nascar race there closing in on 200MPH a few inches off the car in front. IMO that takes balls.

BTW i think Tony Stewart is worth north of 70 mil so he can afford this. Putting his

Life on the line in a sprint car race I don't think ever crosses these guys mind.

If Stewart was someone you liked, you know like Tom Brady or Bill Bellichick, would you be making excuses for him? We get that you don't like him, but:

You admit you don't even know how the cars work but keep going back to the acceleration.

You state everyone else was slowing down, but ignore that the guy was walking away from other cars and toward Stewart, meaning the other guys had less need to avoid him in a sudden knee jerk way. Stewart was not afforded this luxury.

You state swerving a car at a guy walking is consistent with Stewart's actions on the track. Can you name one other time he has swerved his car at a guy on a track? I'm guessing other guys have gotten out of their car to yell at him at some point and Stewart has probably done that as well.

You psychoanalyze Stewart and cast blame his direction based on biases you clearly had before Saturday.

You are talking out of you @$$ as is Joe.

Agreed... Sweet ride, btw!!! There is no argument that can be made- you are correct, the other drivers we able to slow down and take the inside, then he came through like he did...

I have met TS... He's an !@#$- I would be surprised if he tried to flex his nuts a little bit...

He actually almost ran me over in The garage area at Michigan.... Came hauling ass around a corner and spiked his brakes then threw his hands in the air like WTF are you doing???? The garage area was loaded with people, sure that's his place of work, but there was no reason for him to be driving that way around so many people

In other words, you don't know, but you're still completely willing to pretend you do.

Great headline. I'm sure it will garner many clicks,

From the article:

“I checked up twice not to run over him. And I learned my lesson there, and I’m going to run over him every chance I got until the end of the year. Every chance I got,” Stewart said following the August 2012 race, according to CBS News. Stewart meant he was going to try to take Kenseth out during a race, not actually run him over.

Beyond stupid.

Great headline. I'm sure it will garner many clicks,

Definitely a misleading and sensationalistic headline to grab viewers attention, but that's just a small part of the article.

Hey look you're so edgy and cool. Look at you! You're so cool! I hope I'm cool like you someday.

Huh? I am not sure what you mean here?

Like Buffaloed in PA said: "It is Tony Stewart being Tony Stewart." That's the main reason why he's where he is. He's edgy and cool. That's what one does on a race track, be edgy and cool. It just went all too horribly wrong when some other racer tries to confront him on foot. That's not cool, but stupid.

This^^^

Fair enough Ink... Spot on!

Only Stewart, the guy Ward was directing his poorly conceived tirade at, hit him.

And there in is the reason he got hit @ all! Why are people failing to see this. The probability Ward was going to be hit by anybody else BUT Stewart was low. I would almost say non-existant. The probability that Stewart was going to make contact? Almost one! The reason? Ward's actions on the track. Ward was asking for a miracle NOT to have Stewart hit him accidently. Its like a manager in baseball going out to argue a call. Okay, not just A MANAGER arguing a call, but Earl Weaver! The probabilty that he is going to touch the ump is almost one! Even if the ump tries to lean away and they graze each other. @ least Weaver learned to turn his cap backwards being that it wasn't a life and death situation.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

There's a difference between having an opinion and discussing something on a message board and "assuming they know the whole story". And there's nothing asinine about the idea that a guy with a history of losing his temper and saying/doing stupid things likely isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt when something like this happens. Further, comments like "have you ever driven a sprint car?" are just straw man arguments. If people could only have opinions about things they've actually experienced first hand, you'd have a message board full of crickets.

And there in is the reason he got hit @ all! Why are people failing to see this. The probability Ward was going to be hit by anybody else BUT Stewart was low. I would almost say non-existant. The probability that Stewart was going to make contact? Almost one! The reason? Ward's actions on the track. Ward was asking for a miracle NOT to have Stewart hit him accidently. Its like a manager in baseball going out to argue a call. Okay, not just A MANAGER arguing a call, but Earl Weaver! The probabilty that he is going to touch the ump is almost one! Even if the ump tries to lean away and they graze each other. @ least Weaver learned to turn his cap backwards being that it wasn't a life and death situation.

dear lord....

from the angle we got, and with the camera following the car before -- its hard to say anything definitive on the topic. to say it was unavoidable based on what we have seems as crazy as to say it was obviously stewart being a jerk on purpose (and things getting out of hand).

you seem to be the only one that doesnt see EVERYBODY agrees that the kid shouldnt have been running down the track. its not discussed because we all acknowledge its true. Thats not to say, however, that no matter what happened once he hopped out of the car is fair game.... that part is hazier from what is known.