Round 2 : Sale of the team

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to assume this is some sort of joke, right? You are right about one thing, the trust will never sell another team unless Ralph dies again.

Perhaps you meant "Morgan Stanley" instead of "the trust". In which case, if they sell the team for a record amount of $$ for an NFL franchise (which is likely) why wouldn't they be used again? The process only seems screwed up because it is so public, and because the information leaking is incomplete or downright inaccurate. Oh, and because fans have no idea of how these things work,

Yes, it was a joke. A little parody of what we've been subjected to in these threads. See my prior posts on the subject where I've repeatedly tried to explain that the process is proceeding as planned and in a manner not too dissimilar from any other M&A deal.

Edited by Jauronimo

Seems like Morgan Stanley is the group to blame more so than the trust

And I wonder how they're really supposed to stop leaks from occurring anyway. This is a highly scrutinized, unusual event, an NFL team on the public auction block with countless people involved when you come down to it. I'd honestly be more surprised if leaks WEREN'T happening.

And I wonder how they're really supposed to stop leaks from occurring anyway. This is a highly scrutinized, unusual event, an NFL team on the public auction block with countless people involved when you come down to it. I'd honestly be more surprised if leaks WEREN'T happening.

Its not even leaks that are causing the hysteria. Its a fundamental misunderstanding from the reporting aspect or a deliberate attempt to make the bid process look more intriguing and soap opera like than it really is. Fans are reacting in kind to the Kryk diaries which make no attempt to report developments in the context of the acquisition process.

One thing is certain at this point. The egg is going to be all over everyone's face when this thing is said and done. The Trust will never be hired to sell another NFL team after bidders start leaking details of just how badly this process was run.

Disagree. MS and Proskauer can point to specific directions from the Wilson Trust that have hamstrung MS' ability to lure scores of bidders in this particular transaction. Honestly, by seeking assurances that the team will be kept in Buffalo, the Trust (not the hired hands) has limited the field to only a very specific type of buyer.

If the field of competitors is limited, what other tools does MS have at it's disposal to maximize the sale price - other than leaks?

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Over the next month, qualified bidders will be doing their due diligence and meeting with the trust. Once bidders have had the opportunity to review the team's financial statements, which they were just issued, they will submit formal bids. This phase will take at least 3 weeks according to the AP. After formal bids have been submitted, the trust will deliberate for as long as they see fit. No amount of complaining is going to change the speed at which the process moves along.

Yeah, well complaining is what I felt like doing and will damn well do it if I want...as far as the process, I assume it will take longer than I want it to, but I just would rather not hear about it every single day because it continuously brings up the naysayers and pessimists about how the BILLS are moving, or there's a conspiracy to get them to Toronto or whatever the hell their tin foil hats are telling them...but, and you don't know me or follow my posts, I'm rarely one to complain about nearly anything, so forgive me the few moments to do so about listening to every time a new bidder enters the fray and what their intentions may be, when nearly all involved simply want Pegula to pay a fair market value and assume the team, as it would appear that's the end game anyways...

Its not even leaks that are causing the hysteria. Its a fundamental misunderstanding from the reporting aspect or a deliberate attempt to make the bid process look more intriguing and soap opera like than it really is. Fans are reacting in kind to the Kryk diaries which make no attempt to report developments in the context of the acquisition process.

Oh, well yeah man, that's the nature of news reporting and social media nowadays. Kinda like how everybody freaks out over every single incomplete pass EJ throws in training camp. So many of us wait breathlessly for minute-by-minute updates, and various media (reporters, insiders, friends-of-friends), are happy to oblige us, dishing it out by the heaping spoonful, accuracy, context and perspective be damned. And that is not to disparage anybody passing along such info, especially among present company on this board.

I'll admit, I'm hitting F5 as much as anybody here, on Twitter, and elsewhere. But I'm also trying real hard to keep a 30,000 foot view of the whole thing.

You are dead on Juaronimo!! Things are being reported as "developments" instead of "steps." That was has people freaking out. There is a perception that there is no direction or plan and that it is constantly changing. The reality is they are just proceeding through the process.

Yes, it was a joke. A little parody of what we've been subjected to in these threads. See my prior posts on the subject where I've repeatedly tried to explain that the process is proceeding as planned and in a manner not too dissimilar from any other M&A deal.

Gotcha. I thought that might be the case. My bad for not recognizing your previous posts.

Oh, well yeah man, that's the nature of news reporting and social media nowadays. Kinda like how everybody freaks out over every single incomplete pass EJ throws in training camp. So many of us wait breathlessly for minute-by-minute updates, and various media (reporters, insiders, friends-of-friends), are happy to oblige us, dishing it out by the heaping spoonful, accuracy, context and perspective be damned. And that is not to disparage anybody passing along such info, especially among present company on this board.

I'll admit, I'm hitting F5 as much as anybody here, on Twitter, and elsewhere. But I'm also trying real hard to keep a 30,000 foot view of the whole thing.

I'm just as guilty. I tune in everyday to see the latest news and rumors surrounding the process. JW's articles have been the best in terms of framing the latest leaks, scoops, news in the context of the process, from what I've seen.

I said in the prior now closed thread that the constant leaks about the higher number of bids without a single bidder being identified beyond the known bids is pure media driven and likely, if anything, the Trust and MS trying to drum up more bids AND increase existing potential bids by using the media to suggest there is a higher number of bidders. We're talking millions of extra dollars in potentially higher bids is someone, say T-money, feels like he has to beat more bidders. And because the trust can pretty much do as it please, it can speak with the media and float ideas out there in the hopes of driving up bids.

The question I would ask is, why have these sources, supposed from within, leaked the Pegula bid but no other names have surfaced? Because there likely aren't others and naming names would be a lie and immediately refuted by those named.

There will be 4 final bindings bids and T-money wins this thing. End of story, stayin.

I agree. These mystery bidders are a complete fabrication to drive up the price. Just look at the sequence of events that led up to these unknown bidders. First we heard JBJ and Trump violated the NDA and then we heard about the new bidders. When names don't get leaked it's because people are afraid to violate the NDA, but in reality there are no new bidders. Maybe there's a couple, such as the guy from LA and Golisano, but that's it. I doubt there's 3 more groups out there.

I agree. These mystery bidders are a complete fabrication to drive up the price. Just look at the sequence of events that led up to these unknown bidders. First we heard JBJ and Trump violated the NDA and then we heard about the new bidders. When names don't get leaked it's because people are afraid to violate the NDA, but in reality there are no new bidders. Maybe there's a couple, such as the guy from LA and Golisano, but that's it. I doubt there's 3 more groups out there.

I don't know anything about a guy from LA, but there's one other group out there as Kirby has said. Nobody has mentioned who it is that I've seen, and they're for real--not the lead dog mind you (still Pegula), but very serious about the team.

I'm just as guilty. I tune in everyday to see the latest news and rumors surrounding the process. JW's articles have been the best in terms of framing the latest leaks, scoops, news in the context of the process, from what I've seen.

Wawrow is a pro and old-school, in that he reports. He is consistently the guy who will give you the straight story without adornment.

I'll give some credit to Graham and Kryk for staying on top of the story. But those guys like to engage in hype, controversy (sometimes forced), speculation, etc to drive readership.

And yes, I am guilty of checking in to get more information. The difference between us and some of the others is, we don't react to every bit of information. I don't know how some of these guys keep their sanity when ever bit of "information" makes them crazy.

Edited by The Dean

A few thoughts:

- I don't think a new stadium would crest the $1B mark. Probably looking more in the $800M range. This wouldn't be AT&T or Levi; probably closer to LucasOil.

- If it's El Pegual, he won't carry much (if any) debt load on the stadium. He could finance his portion (let's say it's $400M) in cash.

- Don't forget about the NFL's G4 fund for stadium construction. The funding there is very low interest.

There is a reason Morgan Stanley is involved in the sale. My question is; do they make money off of the financed portion of the sale price, or take a small percentage off the sale price like a realtor selling a home?

Imagine the commission on a $1.3 billion dollar sale. Damn!

There is a reason Morgan Stanley is involved in the sale. My question is; do they make money off of the financed portion of the sale price, or take a small percentage off the sale price like a realtor selling a home?

Imagine the commission on a $1.3 billion dollar sale. Damn!

Often times both.

Fee structures vary, but there's likely flat fees for MS's services, potentially a % of the total deal or payment depending on certain ranges of deal size. Investment banks will often help the acquiring party secure financing and make out on that end of the deal too. These guys are one stop shops.